New car time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
Our old Jaaaag is near the end of its life and so we’ve decided to replace her.

Got £3000 max to spend and I haven’t got a Scooby about what’s reliable and what’s not etc. I don’t drive much at all and my wife’s work commute is about 6 miles a day. We use the motorways about 6 times a year.

We need 4 seats, could be a cabrio, nothing French, NOT a diesel, not too big and needs to be at least 6/10 in the ‘cool’ or ‘think out the box stakes’. Folding rear seats are preferable so I can get my bike in the back.

Cheers.

What years am I looking at here and what size engine?

3.2 is your best M112. Nothing ever seems to go wrong part from MAF sensors.
Years 1999- 2005?

I can confirm if you get folding seats a bike will go in the back of a CLK.

Reactions: 219
Small petrol car like a Ford Fiesta ?
A Merc for 3k with the best will in the world is going to be “old” and naturally need stuff repairing ?

What years am I looking at here and what size engine?
3.2 2003-2005
You could also go for the 5.0 V8 m113 not much difference in fuel economy and equally reliable.

Small petrol car like a Ford Fiesta ?
A Merc for 3k with the best will in the world is going to be “old” and naturally need stuff repairing ?
When we came back from Skiathos in 2016 we needed a car and so instead of a little box car we went out on a limb and bought a 52 plate S Type.

Many moons ago all my mates were buying German so I bought Italian.

The Jaaag and the old 156 gave us zero problems and it’s nice to think out the box.

When we came back from Skiathos in 2016 we needed a car and so instead of a little box car we went out on a limb and bought a 52 plate S Type.

Many moons ago all my mates were buying German so I bought Italian.

The Jaaag and the old 156 gave us zero problems and it’s nice to think out the box.
I know exactly what you mean , I would have done the same , but it’s a coin toss sometimes

Wife is liking a CLK or Saab 9-3.

Always liked the 9-3 Cab from 2003 on , still find myself looking at them on AT.

I ran a couple of Saabs (Sensonic + Aero) for around six years and would have had another if they hadn`t went under as the new 9-5 hadn`t been out for long and it had no factory backup , as there was no factory left.

For £3k i would be looking for an early 9-3 like this and stick the rest in a fund for repairs.

Or haggle hard for this one , depending on what Hirsch parts it has on it apart from the badge.

K

Reactions: 219
Always liked the 9-3 Cab from 2003 on , still find myself looking at them on AT.

I ran a couple of Saabs (Sensonic + Aero) for around six years and would have had another if they hadn`t went under as the new 9-5 hadn`t been out for long and it had no factory backup , as there was no factory left.

For £3k i would be looking for an early 9-3 like this and stick the rest in a fund for repairs.

Or haggle hard for this one , depending on what Hirsch parts it has on it apart from the badge.

K
I’ve seen the top one already. It’s at Dr Saab (or similar) The one in Scotland is the nuts.
I missed out on a corker last year from my sister because we were in Skiathos on holiday.

My wife is on her third RAV4 , pretty bomb proof and I actually enjoy driving hers! £3000 should get you a decent 5 door version. Unfortunately my wife only wanted another 3 door version and they were fetching much more!

That Cooper has the N18 motor which is less prone to lunching its timing gear than the earlier N14. This is A Good Thing. Be aware that new clutches on manuals are mega bucks. Think £2K at a main dealer.

But they are massive fun to drive, mine puts a grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

Cheers,

Gaz

That Cooper has the N18 motor which is less prone to lunching its timing gear than the earlier N14. This is A Good Thing. Be aware that new clutches on manuals are mega bucks. Think £2K at a main dealer.

But they are massive fun to drive, mine puts a grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

Cheers,

Gaz
So I need to find one that’s had a recent and documented replacement?

Or do what I did and buy an auto!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom