New car update...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
palmball are we gonna get any pictures ?

Later today...I promise :thumb:

Palmball
tell us about the M3
I fancy an Alpina at some stage...i like the slightly more subtle version
Im surprised at the fault list with the mazza gulp!
see you in a couple of weeks

Mmm...tell you about the M3?

Well, it's so similar to what you drive now in so many ways that you can just tell they were designed and developed to compete with each other.

Differences are like hairs breadths apart in so many areas but the key things that stand out as exceptional in the M3 are the following:

• Gearbox - fast, smooth and effective. It feels great and does what a gearbox is supposed to do very very well. I can imagine the car can eek out performance advantages against other cars just on the basis of how quick the change is.
  • The handling - this latter point is to be expected given all the press reviews but I had forgotten just how sharp this thing is to drive. Bobbersmill described it as twitchy and it is definitely more 'wired' than the C63, but it's just has really sharp turn-in and bags of front-end grip...this in particular never seems to run out. It doesn't roll though, especially when you have the adaptive damping set in it's hardest of its three settings. Let's put it this way, I put all that work into my C63's suspension by fitting KW's V3 coilovers and even after that I still reckon the M3 has better body control (in particular, it has less roll) and is just the more competent car at flowing over the blacktop. I certainly won't be changing a single thing on my cars' standard suspension.
  • iDrive - it has the latest iDrive and it's fabulous. The Nav is full postcode input, it has a very high-def and huge widescreen, it works fast and is very well 'connected' with the outside world and other devices (iPhone and Google integration is particularly impressive). As a tool for helping assist you in 'life' when you spend a lot of time in the car, it's very effective. The Harman Kardon stereo is also very loud and of good quality...BMW know how to engineer good stereo's in their cars (as long as you don't have a basic system and pay extra for one of the various upgrade options)
  • Engine? Well, it's not a car that feels particularly fast in comparison to other things I've owned but as with the Maserati, I'm getting less and less bothered by needing to have the fastest thing out there (nothing this side of a new GT-R would be as quick as my 911 Turbo anyway, so if that was my main priority, I'd have just kept that car). The M3 needs to be revved VERY hard but the 'box makes that so easy to do and it's at higher revs that the engine feels and sounds best....it likes to be revved and it's nature encourage it. The C63 sounds better in everyday driving but from say up to 6k rpm, it starts to sound more 'normal' whereas the M3 takes on a hardcore rasp at higher revs right up to it's 8.5k limit. Like I said about the handling, it's more of a 'wired' car which is much less relaxing and therefore harder to drive fast than the C63.

Where the C63 trumps the M3 and makes a case for itself as a better everyday car is in the following areas:
  • Refinement - the M3 is a lot noisier in terms of road and wind noise which was immediately obvious the minute I got it on the motorway (the Maserati was also very refined in this respect so that made it seem worse no doubt).
  • Sound - the M3 has a unique sound which is very modern and high-tech in tone (when moving), and at higher speeds it probably has the edge in aural quality too. But, at idle it sounds like a pig and during everyday driving, the C63 simply sounds better for more of the time.
  • Build quality - contrary to Bobbersmill comments on the plastics, I actually think the 3-series plastics are better than in the C-Class - they're less shiny, softer and more plush feeling. However, whilst my M3 doesn't rattle (yet!), it doesn't feel quite as well assembled as the C63 and can imagine that after a few years hard graft it would probably not hold up as well as the Merc. Ideal world would be having the Merc's construction with the BMW's materials.
  • Power - the C63 is simply a faster car....perceptibly so too. Side by side, I actually think that you'd not notice any difference because the gearbox in the M3 is so much quicker and as such, it counters the lack of comparative power. But, for in-gear acceleration and feeling of sheer grunt, the C63 whoops it.
  • Image - it's an M3 and has the associated image of one....which isn't necessarily good. The C63 is much more special (exotic even?), unique and doesn't have so many traits associated with it. Looks are subjective but if I was pushed, I'd say the C63 looks better in 4-door format and the M3 better in coupe format (for instance, I'd never have had a 4-door M3 over a C63, no matter how good the deal was!)

There, I hope that gives a fairly objective opinion of the M3 and whilst I have compared it a lot to the C63, thats inevitable given I've owned both of them, how similar they are and the fact that it's a subject of constant contention!

He must of test drove it before he bought it and he obviously liked it otherwise he woudn't of forked out that much money on a car that is ribbish!

Perfectly said benzedUP - despite the cars I've had before, it was the test drive that made me actually decide on the M3. It certainly wasn't for the way it sounded or the way it looked (I did have the Maserati after all!) so it was entirely down to the way it drove (and a little bit to do with cost ;))

hello palmball,
what have you done you will have dhard telling us i told you so:D:D.
did you not have a look at the e63 amg again i remember you saying last time you really enjoyed the e63 drive.
the way prices are at the moment on these you would have got a good deal.
i think sometimes we dont really appreciate the comfort in the amgs or the m3s for every day use which makes them so good.

dhard can p!ss off. I'll listen to him when he's owned both cars and actually has the experience to make an objective and informed opinion! :D

1-2 year old E63 deals were good yes, but it still came down to one of the reasons I pulled out last time....looks and image! I'm just a bit too young for the E and whilst it's undoubtedly one of the most competent cars I've ever driven (if not the very best one overall!), there is a bit of me which is shallow enough to have a decision swayed on 'how I look in it'! :rolleyes:

Talking about you :) you were saying it's not comfy and clunky etc.. and I'm just saying it isn't designed for comfort, it's a sporty car, not for grannys:p

He must of test drove it before he bought it and he obviously liked it otherwise he woudn't of forked out that much money on a car that is ribbish!

He and his friends all drive BMW or Porches (mainly 6 series and Cayenne and a slummy Q7), so perhaps have little to compare against. ;)

I didn't say it was uncomfortable, just it sounds awful..really, it sounds like a hair-drier, whereas Palmball's Masser sounded tremendous.

Your posts seem to reflect the C63 attitude we get on here...:rolleyes::doh:

Palmball-thanks decent review that ...lol at plastics comparison

Dieselman- what c63 attitude ? surely everyone isnt as deluded as me ...chortle

double lol at no comments re my interest in an alpina !

I was interested to read your post as I have just found myself doing the very same - letting the Maserati go and buying a CLS350 cdi sport - a demonstrator.
I also found it a very interesting post as our Maserati did not last long either! Whilst we did not have as many issues as Palmball, the build quality is definitely suspect and nowhere near as good as the Abarth 695 Tributo my wife drives.

Our Masser was followed by a 911 (with PDK) as a daily driver and this was changed for a Bristol Blenheim 3S! - now expecting a new C63 with August delivery. :rock:

I think that Palmball's choice of cars shows he is a true motoring enthusiast, rather than just a marque enthusiast... :rolleyes:

Nice postings to read, you really ought to work for Evo or Car magazine....

Will you be taking the car to the "ring". I'd probably recommend a beefier exhaust. Otherwise I can see why you chose the car, you've always posted how good your last one was so its not a surprising move.

I agree re the E90 interior, the pre facelift 204 was not as nice inside, the newer 204 is lovely and easily a match for the E90 and probably the 212. The 204s seem more spacious.

DCT vs MCT (like that 212 63 you had and how come you never went down that route). What are your views?

Palmball-thanks decent review that ...lol at plastics comparison

Dieselman- what c63 attitude ? surely everyone isnt as deluded as me ...chortle

double lol at no comments re my interest in an alpina !

Thansk Mika...look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. I'll be at the trackday until about 2.30pm at which time I have to leave.....because I have a 5pm train to catch to get to the Nurburgring that evening :D

I'm literally going there for the Sunday and coming back Sunday night but I am so excited because in all my cars, I absolutely loved driving the M3 round there - it's made for the place and goes so well round that track that you can just tell BMW developed it there.

I also found it a very interesting post as our Maserati did not last long either! Whilst we did not have as many issues as Palmball, the build quality is definitely suspect and nowhere near as good as the Abarth 695 Tributo my wife drives.

Our Masser was followed by a 911 (with PDK) as a daily driver and this was changed for a Bristol Blenheim 3S! - now expecting a new C63 with August delivery. :rock:

I think that Palmball's choice of cars shows he is a true motoring enthusiast, rather than just a marque enthusiast... :rolleyes:

Aero - you're worse than me! Changing a 911 PDK (great 'box, I almost preferred a Carrera S PDK courtesy car that I had to my Turbo just because of the 'box) for a Bristol....I thought I was mad! Top man though :thumb:

You're absolutely right...I have no 'real' brand loyalty whatsoever...I just love driving and tend to get what suits be best and what I feel like driving at a particular moment in time.

My neighbours think I'm tapped (as o most of you probably :eek:)

Nice postings to read, you really ought to work for Evo or Car magazine....

Will you be taking the car to the "ring". I'd probably recommend a beefier exhaust. Otherwise I can see why you chose the car, you've always posted how good your last one was so its not a surprising move.

I agree re the E90 interior, the pre facelift 204 was not as nice inside, the newer 204 is lovely and easily a match for the E90 and probably the 212. The 204s seem more spacious.

DCT vs MCT (like that 212 63 you had and how come you never went down that route). What are your views?

Thanks Steve, your 'ring question is answered a few lines up....of course I'm going there soon :D

Yes, you're right about the interior of the new C-Class - it's much better and easily as good as mine.

As for exhaust....I'm actually enjoying the slightly better 'refinement' of having a quieter exhaust at the minute. It also means you get to hear the engine...it's all about the engine sound (read: induction) in the M3 rather than the AMG and Maserati which was all exhaust sound. Fear not though, normal service will no doubt resume in a few weeks ;)

DCT vs. MCT....interesting question as I really like MCT too. :crazy:

I'd describe DCT to be very similar in feel to the MCT but even faster....they're both as smooth as each other, they both take up drive without the slush feeling of a TC auto (i.e. instantly) but the dual-clutch variant has a much faster gearchange through the gears than anything else I've experienced (with the exception of other cars with a dual-clutch 'box like the one I tried in a 911 Carrera S PDK...that was just as good as the DCT). I can't stress just how instant the gearchange is - I've never experienced anything like it.

I'm going to gove it a wash now and post some pics up later....I'm not polishing it as on Monday it goes to my detailer for 3 days to be sanded down :eek:

This I am a bit apprehensive about as I've never had a car sanded down before before but the orange peel on the paint is so bad that its the only option if I want it to look gleaming. At present, you can't see a clean reflection in the paint...doubly annoying as the colour is so lush - it's a metallic red with really small and tightly packed metal flecks that create a lovely shimmer effect - only you can't see the effect very well because because the top coat isn't smooth enough! :wallbash:

I saw on Pistonheads that you had another M3, nice one. but don't expect me to talk to you ;)

You must spend half your life on the phoen to your insurance company telling them you've changed cars, but good on you.

Every car you've owned would be on my to do list if I had the time/money (unless you had a Saxo when you were 18 :doh: )

Simon

So with the chance to buy new facelifted c63 with all the latest technology after quote saying c63 bargin of the century best all round car in existence you buy ...... M3 a model being replaced next year . Proves my point m3 best car and all your talk/ write ups are like u full shyate!!!

So with the chance to buy new facelifted c63 with all the latest technology after quote saying c63 bargin of the century best all round car in existence you buy ...... M3 a model being replaced next year . Proves my point m3 best car and all your talk/ write ups are like u full shyate!!!

AwJeez.jpg

:eek:

:ban:

Has mummy disabled the parental control software tonight ?

I think that you're on to something there...

Huh? Last time I checked you had a porsche!?

Oh, that was like... 1972 or something. Times have changed ;)

I saw on Pistonheads that you had another M3, nice one. but don't expect me to talk to you ;)

You must spend half your life on the phoen to your insurance company telling them you've changed cars, but good on you.

Every car you've owned would be on my to do list if I had the time/money (unless you had a Saxo when you were 18 :doh: )

Simon

Oh...it's like that is it Simon?? :D

Erm, yes I did actually have a Saxo (3 of them) when I was aged 18-21! :eek:

I guess we're finished then, you and me?

If you don't like what I write then don't read it.

I'll buy what I like, when I like and say what I like about it...and if you don't like it, that makes me all the happier. Now I own an M3 (unlike you ;)) which means when I say the C63 is still the best all-round car, I can't be accused of being biased ...and I've said exactly the same thing to the BMW guys over on the M3 forum (and they, to be honest, are a lot more objective than you've could imagine). But I didn't buy the car for 'all-roundness'....I bought it to go to the 'ring in two weeks (where the M3 is better than the C63) :) Oh, as regards the M3 being replaced....come on dhard, look at my buying history. I'll not have the M3 by the end of summer, never mind next year....thats totally irrelevant to me!

Now f*ck off my thread...you're upsetting the regulars.

Last edited:
I think dhard might be a normal person who is double logged so they appear abnormal ...if you follow

Yeah, I follow Mika....;)

Anyway, I'm not in the slightest bit fussed whether people approve or not....merely, I just wanted to update old friends on here. And as requested, heres the first round of pictures after the first wash....although I'm sure you all know what an M3 looks like :rolleyes:

I am really disappointed by the paintwork on this car- the topcoat is so bumpy that you can't get a decent reflection and you can see this most clearly in the last picture, just above the side repeater fins. The colour is so nice with a great shimmer effect but the pictures just don't highlight it....it looks just like flat red although it's anything but that!

Anyway, I'm biting the bullet and sending it away for 3-days on Monday to be wet sanded and machine polished. I just bloody hope I don't regret that decision and the process doesn't go wrong :confused2

P1030517.jpg

P1030518.jpg

P1030523.jpg

P1030520.jpg

P1030515.jpg

P1030509.jpg

P1030529.jpg

P1030531.jpg

P1030535.jpg

P1030536.jpg

P1030540.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread