New car, wrong alloys.... HELP!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rab1985

Car
Clk
Hi all, I recently purchased my 15 plate c220 coupe and decided to upgrade the wheels from a guy who previously had them on a c250 coupe. I'd seen pics so I just thought they would fit on.

Basically the rears (I believe the fronts are ok) are really rubbing and are currently on a 265/35/19 tyre and I've been told that changing the tyre to a 255/30/19 will solve the problem but then others are telling me that the offset is far too different. My choices are;

- do I wash my hands of them

- go for the tyre change?

I'm pretty sure the car can handle 19's so if anyone can advise what I need to do I'd be most grateful as I seem to be going round in circles.

Many thanks,

Rob

What is the ETF offset and PCD measurements on the wheels you are trying to fit?

What is the correct tyre size for your model? It should be stated in the handbook.

I think the offsets are this so quite a way out from the 45/54 I need...Screenshot_20200210-122658.jpg

I doubt the answers will be any different to the same question you asked on the other forum last week Rob.

Tyre seems a bit fat for those rims, where is it rubbing exactly? I would have said it needs Et54 for the rear, the front on your car shouldn't be a problem. I think the C250 (certainly the AMG line) have bigger brakes up front hence the higher recommended ET than yours.

Which model coupe is yours?

They do not work on your car.

I doubt the answers will be any different to the same question you asked on the other forum last week Rob.
The problem was I had many answers, nothing definitive which is why I'm asking again...

Tyre seems a bit fat for those rims, where is it rubbing exactly? I would have said it needs Et54 for the rear, the front on your car shouldn't be a problem. I think the C250 (certainly the AMG line) have bigger brakes up front hence the higher recommended ET than yours.

Which model coupe is yours?
Rubbing at the back mate, proper grim and the tyres are all wrong. I've found a set which I think will fit perfectly. 45 at the front and 54 at the back on 19's so I think these are the ones.. .

Rob, don't just be getting another set of 19s with the same offset at the OEM 18s! You have to take into account the width of the rim.

I will try and find your other thread and see what the issue is. I wouldn't be getting them replaced just yet!!

Do you have the spec of the wheels that were fitted originally? As in factory?

Rob, don't just be getting another set of 19s with the same offset at the OEM 18s! You have to take into account the width of the rim.

I will try and find your other thread and see what the issue is. I wouldn't be getting them replaced just yet!!

Do you have the spec of the wheels that were fitted originally? As in factory?
Thanks Abb!!

This is what I just got from Mercedes;
Front- 8j/18h2 et 50
Rear- 8.5j/18h2 et 54
All the feedback I've had so far is go with;
235/35/19 et 45
255/30/19 et 54

Any thoughts?

So am I right in saying the only bit of information now missing it the tyre sizes for the 18s.

As you need the diameter, width and offset (ET) for each wheel (fronts are different to the rears if the are staggered), as well as tyres sizes.

Once you put up the tyre sizes for the 18s up, I will have a look. I assume the screen shot you have posted in post 4, is the 19" wheel dimensions you are trying to fit.

Thats a very fussy programme/comparison chart you have used and tbh I am struggling to decipher it! It does look like they fit, but I wouldn't commit to that, going of that. However, like I say, if you let me know what size tyres are on your OEM wheels, I will be able to confirm it for you.

Thats a very fussy programme/comparison chart you have used and tbh I am struggling to decipher it! It does look like they fit, but I wouldn't commit to that, going of that. However, like I say, if you let me know what size tyres are on your OEM wheels, I will be able to confirm it for you.
Screenshot_20200211-115441.jpg

Does that help mate?

Here is my 2p worth. Going by the info you have provided, 19's will go on BUT how they affect the car will depend on the tyre sizes.

If you use (as previous posters have suggested) a tyre size of 255/30/19 on the rear. It will push your wheels out by 16mm so physically check the tyre still sits within the arch. I would imagine it will and therefore will be fine. It would be like using a spacer in effect.

Using a 235/35/19 on the front pushes your wheels out 20mm from the OEM set up. Again you would have to check for clearance, may look ok, but catch when trying to turn. By using a 225/35/19 they would only protrude 15mm and maybe a better fit overall.

Using this set up, will knock your speedo out between 0.3% and 1.5% (eg when travelling at 60mph, it will show you are travelling at 60.2mph & 60.9mph).

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom