New centre caps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScoobyDooLondon

Car
Mercedes S320 CDI 2008
Where's a good place to buy centre caps?

Seen so many on amazon and ebay but not sure if they're fake - they claim to be genuine.

My current ones are black Roadster caps but thinking of going for silver ones.

Don't have the car with me at the moment so can't check the existing part number, but what should they typically cost?

Btw, my car is W221 2008 S320 CDi.

Your best bet is either your local dealer (full price) or one of MB regional centres on eBay - I bought my Blue / Silver Roadster caps in July from MB Bristol eBay store for just £38 delivered. They were brand new, sealed in individual MB plastic packs... I believe the full price is around £13-£14 each.

You can also check AlloyWheelsDirect, although it is basically a full price offer.

Last edited:
As above a few dealers have eBay shops for parts now which give some discount. Most of the other centre caps you for sale see are fakes though, of varying quality.

chepo

The set i had are from the bay, and i paid £8 for the set .Quality is poor,first time i fitted them the outer star cam adrift .The fix was with a soldering iron heated up and melt over the plastic on the rear. This gave me time to spray up the originals. These will go back on when the new ones fail.

Last edited:
You'll pay about £9 for a set of copies, or ~£35+ for genuine. I didn't find any sellers trying to pass copies off as genuine, so it's easy to tell what you are getting.

Going by the two sets I bought, the quality of the copies is fine. They press home securely, and externally look as per OEM. The copies also offer you more style choices, if needed.

If they don't last, I can buy 2-3 more sets before it seems like a false economy. So far, but only 5K and 4 months in, they are perfectly ok. I only use bilt hamber wheel cleaner and car shampoo, so no acid based wheels cleaners. Having said that OEM center caps will also suffer if too harsh a wheel cleaner is used.

cheers, Steve

Blue laurel ones are £12/13 each from the dealer I just purchased 4. As others say ebay copies are a false economy I had a set lasted 2 months before they started milking up.

I'll need a set of four caps as alloys are being refurbed along with new tyres all round.

The thought of paying full price, £48, seems a bit much. Although I would prefer an original set rather than copies. Some mixed thoughts on the copies so not sure what to make of it.

MWCLS, how much did you pay for a set of four? I'm crap with diy in general but do they just push in?

I'm sure the dealer would be happy to fit them - for a fee!

I bought a set off eBay a few years ago for my CLK, but can't remember how much they were. But they were still looking good about 3 years later when I sold the car. However the centre caps on my 2 1/2 year old C-class aren't looking too wonderful with white bits showing through! I've never used any chemicals on the wheels from new so I'm a bit disappointed with these factory fitted centre caps. I suppose I should try to get them replaced under the paintwork warranty.

PS if I buy from a dealer, do they put it on for you as well?

My previous set, which was just plain silver ones, I bought from the local MB, when I had my wheels refurbed three years ago, they put them in, but it is just a push in job. I actually prefer to do it myself, as I can align the bottom of the star with locking bolt, which is opposite the valve cap ... oh dear, I need to get out more!

Incidentally, I cleaned and then sold that old set on eBay for £20, within five hours of listing. :thumb:

Yeah go for it! Do them under paintwork warranty!

I'd be loathed to buy a set from Merc, pay top whack and then have them go bad so quickly.

If I buy from MB I'm certainly not going to pay to have them fitted. That'll be like getting robbed twice!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom