New cl500 coupe - £20k off ?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonnyCJ

Car
C32 AMG
Merc phoned today to tell me they had a "batch" of new CL500's in and were doing £20k off. Was I interested ?!

Aside from not having £55k odd spare yes I was !

Anyone else had a call with a similar offer ?

CJ

Merc phoned today to tell me they had a "batch" of new CL500's in and were doing £20k off. Was I interested ?!

CJ

Not quite the same as this but a few months ago in a BMW dealership we were offered £12k off high spec a brand new unregistered X5 3.0d Sport SE. Well that was his starting pitch, without even pushing them!

CJ

No but that is interesting. My dealer is trying to push the new e-class coupe on me. I'd be far more interested in a new CL at that price.

CJ

trouble is, when you drive out of the showroom, it's already worth £30k less!

No but that is interesting. My dealer is trying to push the new e-class coupe on me. I'd be far more interested in a new CL at that price.

Give Stephen in Merc Livepool a call then :)

I didn't like the shape at first, my current 2000 CL looks much more svelte. But the new shape is growing on me, especially at that price!

I didn't like the shape at first, my current 2000 CL looks much more svelte. But the new shape is growing on me, especially at that price!
At first I thought they looked too angular but one of our neighbours has just traded in his CLfor a new one and just like you... the shape has grown on me.. Very nice

I was looking on the auto trader the other day at them, it made me laugh what popped up in the middle of searching for 2 door e-classes:

Buy a used MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS Car - Auto Trader UK

Thanks..

WORD OF WARNING..

You have kept your postcode in the link, thus as others have said elsewhere, individuals can use it to for non friendly banter.

relink if you wish, but change your postcode to something like ab12cd etc etc

On a serious note, isnt there a facelift about to come out?

Hence the big discounts

yup very true... huge changes.. massive...crazy changes...

i think they are changing the light bulbs to leds styled daytime lights, adding chrome to the bottom of the bumpers and well thats it... o and defo new grill...

save yourself the 30%, buy now, upgrade mods to new look.. job done!

no fake badging though :thumb:

At first I thought they looked too angular but one of our neighbours has just traded in his CLfor a new one and just like you... the shape has grown on me.. Very nice

Did see one in Liverpool Merc with windows down and loved it - CL63 AMG even nicer...

CL is lovely, and dealers are trying to clear out stock. Price discount doesn't surprise me - I think you'd be able to push for more if you tried hard enough....

I like the CL too .. lovely interior, wonderul windows that go all the way down, without the little glass panel at the back a la E class coupe.

But no panoramic sunroof.

And horrendous depreciation.

sytner Mercedes .. newcastle is part of them, as is Teeside

is offering 211 E320CDi saloons at about £8k off .. but pre-reg.

when I spoke to them today, they said they could not register in my name first even if I paid them in full today, despite the car being unregistered :doh:

I was looking on the auto trader the other day at them, it made me laugh what popped up in the middle of searching for 2 door e-classes:

Buy a used MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS Car - Auto Trader UK

How depressing to see dealers already dumping almost new cars on the secondhand market to wreck all our residuals. The govt passed a law to limit the number of 'demonstrators' manufacturers could dump on the market but sadly didn't apply the same law to dealers. So gross over-supply of the nearly new market is now a regular feature.

Well if they cant sell them at full price, what do they do? hang on to them? I'm assuming Mercedes have cut back production to take account of lower demand but they cant just keep existing stock sitting in a field forever.

Last edited:
Well if they cant sell them at full price, what do they do? hang on to them? I'm assuming Mercedes have cut back production to take account of lower demand but they cant just keep existing stock sitting in a field forever.
Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Jaguar, all of them are following the Ford model ooverproducing cars. They produce far more than they can sell at anywhere near list price. They then unload the surplus production either via lease deals, or special discounts to companies, or bt getting dealers to run loads of demonstrators to sell off cheap, or by doing subsidised PCP deals (see the MB website with up to £11k off some cars via a PCP deal and 5.8% APR and a guaranteed residual that will never be equalled by real world market prices). All these are devices to sell overproduction at lower prices without having to cut list prices.

We all suffer because the excessive dumping of manufacturers' and dealers cars into the second-hand market collapses our residuals.

Ford did this so much they killed their own market for large saloons. The depreciation on Granadas (and the Vauxhall equivalent) became so excessive that customers in droves (including me) switched to Mercedes and BMW. In the eighties MB rarely if ever discounted and the residuals were marvellous.

Now they are trying to get bigger and bigger and all of them are behaving like Lemmings. There is vast overcapacity in the car industry. Govts should let some of them stew in their own juice and go bankrupt as they deserve to do.

Meanwhile many of us have reluctantly learned that it hardly ever makes sense to buy new any more. Loads of dealers are already selling second-hand new model E class cars driving down residuals before the launch is even a fond memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom