New CLK owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambcl

Car
CLK350 Sport (W209)
Hi folks, this week I picked up a 2006 CLK350 Coupe, had my first long ride in it yesterday and loving it so far!

It only had 44K on it and had been very well looked after, I just need to get the AMG alloys repainted and a few stone chips sorted and she'll look like new.

I think the CLK is so gorgeous already that I'm not really planning on doing much to it, just some audio upgrades. Already spoken to the boys at Comand.co.uk about a speaker upgrade which I'm planning to do soon, and I've just replaced the Audio20 with an Alpine ILX-700 to use CarPlay with my iPhone.

Got to say it's one of those cars that puts a smile on my face every time I walk up to it :)

Charlie

Glad you like it and welcome to the club.
Let us know how the speaker upgrade goes.

Tony.

Welcome on-board.

Congrats, sounds like you've bagged a nice motor and very low miles too!

Enjoy :thumb:

Mark :)

Welcome, great choice! We need photos though...

Here she is...

IMG_0534.jpg

She'll be getting a proper cleaning this weekend, still need to think of a suitably sexy German-sounding name for her though... ;-)

Helga ...

Put rear shelf speakers and an amplifier in my CLK, sounds a lot better.

Congrats on the new car. Lovely drive!

Great car, especially the cabrio. Looking forward to seeing the new C Class cabrio in the flesh

stereo upgrade and wheels

Hi,

Your car sounds ace. I have also just bagged myself my first Merc 270 CLK. On a 2004 plate with genuine 15k miles. Awesome motor but some parts seem dated.

I am interested in how to upgrade the stereo to digital. Also how do I get bluetooth prep for my Iphone.

Regards wheels. I currently have 16" alloys and want to beef it up with 18" alloys. Any tips on the above. Damo

Hi Damo,

Congrats on the CLK, wow 15K is low for a 2004, and I thought mine was low at 44k :)

I can't quite believe I'm writing this but I actually just sold mine yesterday. It was a great car but I guess I'm just more of a Munich guy than a Stuttgart guy, I've always wanted an M5 and came across one that seemed just perfect for me. Also I wanted a "project" car that I could make improvements to and the CLK I had was in such good condition that it didn't even need anything doing to it, so it wasn't much of a project car for me. The only thing I did was the head unit.

Anyways, back on topic, I'm an iPhone user, so I put the Alpine ILX-700 into my CLK using the Connects2 fascia kit and wiring harness because I wanted to try Apple's Carplay feature.

I have to say that I thought the Alpine looked pretty good in there, it has a very sleek, minimal appearance, it doesn't have loads of distracting knobs and buttons. It also worked very well as an audio and telephone head unit. The weak point was really the speakers in the CLK, I didn't think much to them so if I had kept the car I probably would have been looking to upgrade them.

If you want genuine Mercedes bluetooth support then I'd ask in the correct part of the forum and I'm sure someone will be able to help out but I'm sure it wont be cheap.

I found the Alpine unit good because it gave me music AND telephone support from my iPhone, and it charged the phone as well. The Alpine doesn't have bluetooth though, so you have to plug the phone in. I ran a USB-Lightning cable into the centre armrest and plugged the iPhone in there.

Worked perfectly for me, and it looked great. If you really want bluetooth I think Pioneer do some Apple Carplay units that support bluetooth.

I've since pulled the Alpine out to possibly re-use it in my M5, still deciding what to do there.

BTW, I still have the Connects2 double-din fascia and wiring harness kit CTKMB15 which is of no use to me now, cost me £85, if anyone wants it I'd sell it for £40+p&p.

Good luck with the new car,

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom