New CLS tested :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
Today I got my first opportunity to drive the new CLS, with the 350cdi engine.

In a word - glorious!

This has turned all my previous thoughts around (about diesel too) concerning the new shape CLS. I much prefer the interior - it's very stylish and comfortable and feels like a new generation. I still like the 219 interior but it definately feels "old fashioned" compared to the new one.

The power is way better than mine. A quieter, more refined and significantly quicker V6 diesel. Lovely engine.

The ride and handling felt very similar to be honest, but maybe a little firmer.

But, my biggest impression compared to mine was a feeling of higher quality - a robustness that felt like it came from a Mercedes era gone by. I liked it very, very much.

Looking at the two cars side by side, ultimately I still prefer the pureness of the original CLS, but, I'm warming to the slightly "macho" stance of the new one and am certain I'll grow to love it just as much.

So, a 2011 350cdi with AMG kit (I like the grille and the twin exposed pipes) is on the BP rada from now! :)

Mercedes-Benz-CLS350_CDI_2012_photo_3a.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal would be 218 interior in 219 body :)

218 with exclusive nappa leather is wonderful .. leather absolutely everywhere, including lower door panels.

I couldn't agree more Sean!

Bodes very well as a replacement for my CLS! :)

I think the fuel economy will be better on the 350cdi too Barry,-don't forget the pics!:cool:

It looks like mpg will be better, yes and road tax lower! Win win! :)

Can't decide on colour - SWMBO loves black cars (maybe 'cos she's Russian! lol) I like it in silver, grey and also white.... hmmm... :D

£295 road tax on my 350cdi 212(averaging mid 30's on a brim to brim calculation so far but should get better with miles as only done 1,200 so far).

It looks like mpg will be better, yes and road tax lower! Win win! :)

Can't decide on colour - SWMBO loves black cars (maybe 'cos she's Russian! lol) I like it in silver, grey and also white.... hmmm... :D
6Don't get a white one Barry(look lovely for a year or so),for something a bit different i like tenorite grey & would have got it on my 212 if it was available but good old iridium with black interior not bad!;)

£295 road tax on my 350cdi 212(averaging mid 30's on a brim to brim calculation so far but should get better with miles as only done 1,200 so far).

That reminds me why I went for a lowly 4 pot - £140 a year RFL and mid 40s mpg (slightly higher mileage at 5700 - but mines an estate!).

Cant beat Iridium and black leather..... White and black are the two colours I wont have but i do about 3500 miles a month so hiding the dirt is important....

Ian

That reminds me why I went for a lowly 4 pot - £140 a year RFL and mid 40s mpg (slightly higher mileage at 5700 - but mines an estate!).

Cant beat Iridium and black leather..... White and black are the two colours I wont have but i do about 3500 miles a month so hiding the dirt is important....

Ian
^ I went from a v8 petrol w219 cls & after testing both the 220/250cdi's before my 350cdi i felt the power drop was too much over cheaper tax & even more mpg(i was paying £475 tax & getting around 20mpg in the cls so mid 30's & £295 road tax in a diesel that can shift a bit was a good compromise).

^ I went from a v8 petrol w219 cls & after testing both the 220/250cdi's before my 350cdi i felt the power drop was too much over cheaper tax & even more mpg(i was paying £475 tax & getting around 20mpg in the cls so mid 30's & £295 road tax in a diesel that can shift a bit was a good compromise).

Most of my previous cars have been 5 and 6 cylinder diesels (BMW, Alfa, Volvo) and even compared to them I was worried about dropping to 4 pot - it isnt as refined but given the mileage i do and the fact that it will be run well beyond 100k miles in total, I decided that the 220 would do all i needed in a head over heart moment.... So far I am more than impressed with my first taste of MB (excluding the A class my wife had in 2000!)

Ian

Is the 250cdi a significantly more refined engine than the 220cdi I had in my 211? Although it was just about powerful enough, it was very noisy and quite unrefined at idle though not too bad at speed.

I do love the way the diesel V6 feels and performs and the new 350 seems almost "V8 petrol" like in it's performance!

I know diesel noise is mentioned as that's the first thing you hear on starting the engine, but it only accounts for a small % of time I'm in the car - not withstanding when I park outside of restaurants and rev the engine to upset customers. Mostly I'm driving along doing 50-70mph. In that respect even 'old' technology diesel engines aren't so bad verses wind and tyre noise.

I know diesel noise is mentioned as that's the first thing you hear on starting the engine, but it only accounts for a small % of time I'm in the car - not withstanding when I park outside of restaurants and rev the engine to upset customers. Mostly I'm driving along doing 50-70mph. In that respect even 'old' technology diesel engines aren't so bad verses wind and tyre noise.

I'm in that category - 3500 miles a month, mainly on the motorway. And when I stop, the stop start kicks in and it cuts out! so i rarely hear it at tickover, but you are right - not a patch on a 6 cylinder for refinement.

But for the fuel economy of a 350, I could have had a 328i BMW with 4 pot turbo petrol - and at that point I was seriously contemplating going petrol despite my mileage!

Ian

Is the 250cdi a significantly more refined engine than the 220cdi I had in my 211? Although it was just about powerful enough, it was very noisy and quite unrefined at idle though not too bad at speed.

I do love the way the diesel V6 feels and performs and the new 350 seems almost "V8 petrol" like in it's performance!
I did test drive both the 220/250cdi 212's & the 250 is definately nicer to drive & livlier-my 350 is almost on par with pre 2005 v8 petrol performance albeit without the burble but it delivers the power in a different way & very smoothly.

I'm wondering whether the 250 would actually be good enough for me - but does it suit the CLS? Somehow a 4 pot under the bonnet of something as mean looking as the new CLS doesn't sit right! :D

For a big heavy car i wouldn't choose the 4 pot in a cls-the 350 would be perfect & the v6 diesels are so much more refined & return good fuel economy...

For a big heavy car i wouldn't choose the 4 pot in a cls-the 350 would be perfect & the v6 diesels are so much more refined & return good fuel economy...

The 250CDi has the same power and torque as the old 320CDi motor. Why wouldn't it be suitable?

The 250CDi has the same power and torque as the old 320CDi motor. Why wouldn't it be suitable?
Drive the 250 & 350 then judge for yourself,nothing wrong with the 250 but imho it's nowhere near the v6 in terms of power delivery & at idle is noisy(especially from cold).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom