New CLS350 owner - A hello and some questions :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluejmc2005

Car
2010 CLS350 Grand edition
Good morning all! I am a new 2010 CLS350 owner, have had a fab time reading this forum and I am delighted to join. Never had a MB before, but always wanted one, and now I have one! I have posted this in the new member part, but thought here might be useful too?

I picked up my car - took a punt really - for just over 5k on trade terms, I am loving it. I have discovered and fixed a few things, but I have a few questions, please direct me to the correct place if this isn't it (and apologies if so!))

1 - The battery in the car was the wrong one - too tall, not long enough and bodged to reach the terminal - was a 10 year old merc battery though!. That's now gone and replaced with a proper sized and powered varta. Resynced steering and windows etc.
2 - the front passenger side fog light was simply hanging down loose - no housing etc. - ordered a salvaged replacement but...
3 - ...thats just the start! the front drivers side has the correct xenon halogen housing etc., which has now been changed (what a bugger that was!! I gave up after 2 hours and took it to halfords, stomached the cost of their xenon and £8 fitting fee and they did it, took them a long time mind!) but the opposite side has a standard bulb! the correct housing is not there!! clearly, someone changed it for an older type. That explains why the "active light function" is broken! crazy. So I put a very bright high end bulb in there for now and ill have to try and source the correct halogen xenon. Changed all the other bulbs.
4 - Ordered 4 new tyres - F1's - non runflats - Saturday installation - ordered a used space saver. Hoping that will solve the poor/ropey/shakey handling and low rev judder - all 4 current tyres are different, and 2 of them bald. Also, i'm sure they are currently a mix of RFT and non RFT!!
5 - I ran my cheapo code reader on it this morning - in an effort to clear/reset the AC as it just blinks red when I press it. Nothing came up on AC (due to be re-gassed this afternoon so should tell me some more) but two errors did show - no warnings on dash etc. They were P0135 02 sensor heater circuit bank 1 sensor 1 and P0130 02 sensor circuit bank 1 sensor 1. Any ideas?
6 - is one opf these a worthwhile investment ( iCarsoft MB V1.0 For Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader Tool | eBay ), or is my current (D900 OBD2 EOBD2 Code Scanner Auto Check Fault Code Live PCM Data Diagnostic Engine Tool for Multi-Brand Cars : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive) good enough? it didn't pick up any AC issues for example when there is clearly an AC issue, nor the active lught function problem.

other than that - loving the car! Not sure about the black AMG wheels, especially as one is missing the MB logo in the center (ordered a replacement set from eBay for 20)

Looking forward to getting to know the car and you guys!

best wishes,

Jason

Hi Jason and welcome,

The CLS is a lovely car and with the 350 will go nicely. It will be worth getting a decent OBD reader to help with diagnostics. MB use the Star system which is very expensive so best find a good indie garage with Star to help when you get stuck. I have the Icarsoft unit which has paid for itself resetting codes many times over. The shuddering might be the engine mounts which is a common problem but starting with the obvious stuff like tyres is the right way to go. Does your car have airmatic suspension?

Cheers
Andy

Hi Jason and welcome,

The CLS is a lovely car and with the 350 will go nicely. It will be worth getting a decent OBD reader to help with diagnostics. MB use the Star system which is very expensive so best find a good indie garage with Star to help when you get stuck. I have the Icarsoft unit which has paid for itself resetting codes many times over. The shuddering might be the engine mounts which is a common problem but starting with the obvious stuff like tyres is the right way to go. Does your car have airmatic suspension?

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy and thanks for taking the time to reply. It's currently having its AC regassed, hoping that's a simple fix for the AC. Have asked them to put UV dye in just in case, they say they so this anyway (ATS)

Almost embarrassed to say I don't know ref the suspension, is there anyway I can find out? Hoping the new tyres make a difference, but then I'd change the tyres anyway to decent ones. I love the car and hope to keep it for a long time!

ATF was changed at MB @45k, not since and it's done just over 100k now so I guess I should get that done too...

Jason

Hi Andy and thanks for taking the time to reply. It's currently having its AC regassed, hoping that's a simple fix for the AC. Have asked them to put UV dye in just in case, they say they so this anyway (ATS)

Almost embarrassed to say I don't know ref the suspension, is there anyway I can find out? Hoping the new tyres make a difference, but then I'd change the tyres anyway to decent ones. I love the car and hope to keep it for a long time!

ATF was changed at MB @45k, not since and it's done just over 100k now so I guess I should get that done too...

Jason
Oh and I have ordered a version 2.0 icar reader

Welcome.

Things to check!!

each side the lower ball joint, i had some shuddering etc when i got mine, at the mot they found that the lower; 20 (A 211 330 04 35 STEERING KNUCKLES) had worn and were just baning about in the sockets, also the upper; 210 ( A 000 330 10 07 RS TRANSVERSE CONTROL ARM JOINT TO STEERING KNUCKLE) needed replacing on both. well worth doing. I bought one of the big "G" clamp kits for doing the lower ones on ebay.

heres the ebay link:

s-l1600.jpg

here is a link to the online epc just put your car details in. Mercedes-Benz EPC. Car Mercedes-Benz CLS .

also here is a pic from there showing the suspension parts.

1625838489065.png

With 100K on the car it's very likely the engine mountings are on their last legs.

If the headlamp units are not identical, it's quite likely the car has been in a front end shunt. The missing fog light housing would be another sign of that.

If you have adjustable suspension heights, you have Airmatic.

If you want to know the full spec with which the car left the factory, input your VIN to Lastvin.com and it will give you the datacard.

Well if you have air suspension you should see around the dash a button raise and lower the car

Welcome aboard Jason,so you have bought a trade cls350,from what you have said it has had a hard life but those engines are great and the car is a great drive,you are handy with a spanner so I would give it a full service including the cabin filter and fuel filter,I take it there is very little service records with the car,and then maybe give the gearbox a treat with a new filter and ATF.

Thanks all - yes a calculated gamble - know its a risk. AC was completely empty - refilled and passed their 20 minute test - had a palaver resetting it though but got there in the end! 20 min drive home was ice cold so motor is good :)

I have no button to raise or lower the car, so I don't have airmatic suspension! Absolutely ref the lights - I have now salvaged a replacement fog lamp, and the incorrect lamp (which I agree was probably a front end cosmetic ding) can wait until I see a cheap enough salvage.

Only service records I have are the MB printout, which shows it was serviced by MB every year until end of 2019 (last documented service) at 90k. The dealer said he serviced it "but didn't put it in the book as the new owner might not have wanted it ruined, you know wanted it all MB" so I took that with a pinch of salt, fully intending to service it.

I am going to get a local indie when I can find a good recommendation to change the ATF fluid and filter, I'll also ask them to have a look at the ball joints

VIN says:-

Code Description
046U DESIGNO-PLATINUM BLACK PAINTWORK
200A LEATHER
201A LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
241 ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE LEFT DRIVER SEAT W MEMORY
255B MB MOBILO WITH DSB AND GGD
260 TYPE DESTINATION ON TRUNK LID - ELIMINATION
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
283B AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
335B INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/HU LANGUAGE - ENGLISH
386 UNIVERSAL TELEPHONY PACKAGE
427 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
428 STEER.WHEEL GEARSHIFT BUTTONS/SHIFT PADDLE PAINTED
43P CONTROL CODE MARKETING
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
474 DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER
500 ELECTRIC FOLDING OUTSIDE MIRROR
512 COMAND APS WITH DVD CHANGER
518 UNIVERSAL COMMUNICATIONS INTERFACE (UCI)
537 DIGITAL RADIO STANDARD DAB (DIGI. AUDIO BROADC.)
537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
551 BASIC ANTITHEFT ALARM SYSTEM (ATA)
573 CHILD SEAT MOUNTING, ISOFIX IN REAR
580 AIR CONDITIONER
5XXL EUROPE
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
616 BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE
619 CORNERING ILLUMINATION
666 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
690 EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE (MINI SPARE)
732 CENTER CONSOLE IN CARBON GLOSSY AMG
790 18" AMG SPOKED WHEELS WITH MIXED TIRES
800 AEJ 09/1
817 SIREN BRACKET FOR INCREASED THEFT PROTECTION
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
882 SENSOR SYSTEM AND ANTITHEFT ALARM SYSTEM
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
96V SPEED- + LOADINDEX 93Y+95Y
983 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
A22 NEW CONVERTER GENERATION
A24 JOINT FLANGE, 4-ARM 120
A49 CONVERTER WITH 3 FRICTION DISKS
A52 R- VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY WITH VGS 3
B12 WHEEL REPLACEMENT TOOL
F219 MODEL SERIES 219
FC COUPE
G902 TRANSMISSION CODE VERSION 02
GA AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
HA REAR AXLE
J52 ADDITIONAL CODE FOR DAMPING MAT
K11 ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING
K13 CONTROL CODE FOR SERVICE INTERVAL 25000 KM
M002 ENGINES WITH EXH.TURBOCHARGER WITH INTERCOOLER
M30 DISPLACEMENT 3.0 LITER
M642 V6 DIESEL ENGINE OM642
P22 INTERIOR LUXURY PACKAGE
P54 THEFT PROTECTION PACKAGE
P64 FRONT MEMORY PACKAGE
R RIGHT-HAND STEERING
R01 SUMMER TIRES
U13 BADGE FOR SPECIAL MODEL
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
U72 DVD PLAYER WITH REGIONAL CODE 2, EUROPE, JAPAN
VL FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT
VR FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT

Mercedes Benz VIN decoded at Mercedes VIN Decoder | Decode Your Mercedes-Benz VIN

I see you have front memory seats thats a good thing to have,when you put the car in reverse the left door mirror will dip down so you can see the rear wheel great for getting close to the curb without damage to alloy wheel.

Hadn't even noticed that until you said lol! Very smart. The icarly arrived today, love that it shows historical faults its very helpful with detective work, as we all suspected it definitely had a front shunt at some stage judging by the historical errors

new tyres have improved the ride quality, but there is still a rough running/wobble at low speeds, particularly when going up and down something (speed bump) etc so I am thinking maybe engine mounts? or ball joints? I'm going to ask whomever I get to change the ATF t have a look

If it's the engine mounts causing that, they really are totally and utterly fecked.

That’s a nice specification. Standard McPherson type suspension is cheaper to fix up and there are good pattern units to choose from. The front headlamp could be down to the cost of the hid replacement unit or someone just not knowing what they were doing. My money would be on the engine mounts for the low speed wobble. Have someone Rev the engine while you are watching the block. It shouldn’t move much at all. If it is then the mounts are shot. Most replaced the rear box mount at the same time. Looks straightforward to do if you can get it on a ramp.

That’s a nice specification. Standard McPherson type suspension is cheaper to fix up and there are good pattern units to choose from. The front headlamp could be down to the cost of the hid replacement unit or someone just not knowing what they were doing. My money would be on the engine mounts for the low speed wobble. Have someone Rev the engine while you are watching the block. It shouldn’t move much at all. If it is then the mounts are shot. Most replaced the rear box mount at the same time. Looks straightforward to do if you can get it on a ramp.

ill do that later on - ill post a video, would you mind taking a look at it? all the best

Video here if you have a chance to have a look

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Video here if you have a chance to have a look

you have to rev the engine to see how much it moves which you have done however the 3k limit is annoying but you really need to be blipping the throttle to see movement at 100k they will be gone 95% of the time as the fluid leaks out, do them all at once, Check your wheel bearings as well they are adjustable and excess play causes wheel balance type issues

you have to rev the engine to see how much it moves which you have done however the 3k limit is annoying but you really need to be blipping the throttle to see movement at 100k they will be gone 95% of the time as the fluid leaks out, do them all at once, Check your wheel bearings as well they are adjustable and excess play causes wheel balance type issues
This is it in drive with foot on brake whilst revving

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom