New Coil Spring W203 Front. Squeak Since Fitting

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by tcb180, Sep 13, 2015.

1. tcb180

tcb180 Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes E320 Auto
    I took the leg off and got local garage to change spring for me.
    I refitted the leg but ever since I"m getting an annoying squeaking stationary or at lower speeds when I turn the steering wheel.

Have I fitted it correctly ?

The leg went back up in ok but I had difficulty getting the top bracket lugs to pull onto it's corresponding lugs on top of the leg. That is now fitting better after some weight and use.

Before fitting I did tighten the top cup down as far as it could go by hand. This was indeed to the end of the threads. 1) IS THIS TOO FAR / TIGHT ?

2) I ALSO TIGHTENED THE TOP NUT UP REALLY TIGHT. I GUESS THIS ONE MUST BE TIGHT?

No noises were evident before and no wear found on any other parts. She's 2003 but only done 58k.

Any ideas welcome please.

2. OP
    OP
    tcb180

tcb180 Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes E320 Auto
    SORTED!!!!!

Over weekend jacked her up got wheel off.
    Dropped track rod end out of hub.
    Un did strut top nut fully and took top bracket off then did a couple of full turns by hand on the leg itself which seemed to centre itself where the threads come up through body work. Put jack under bottom ball joint and raised suspension just to take weight off. Then fully tightened top bracket and nut and washer down tight. Track rod end back into hub and Hey Presto! No more squeaking.

Running as smooth as yet again.

1 person likes this.