New combi boiler needed - can anyone give me any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi All,

I'm really stuck. There seem to be sooo many boilers, and so many differing opinions.

I need a new combi boiler, I'll be buying and the fitter will be fitting. I'll be getting a POWERFlush, cleanser & inhibitor, Magna Clean ...and maybe a lime fighter (or maybe not? - thoughts?).

I have 6 radiators and one bathroom. I currently have an old combi - NON-condensing.

I was wondering what boiler I should buy? Any advice?
For me the longer the part & labour warranty the better, and it seems some cheaper brands (Ideal) are offering 5 years.

I was also wondering whether thermostatic vale on the rads would be worth fitting, as bar maybe one room, all others tend to require the same level of heating - so if i installed thermo valves I'd end up keeping them on MAX everywhere except one room.

If anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
R

Had one fitted 4 years ago so PM me if you need any info. Would try 'Which' for current best buy info possibly unless someone publishes 'What Boiler' already? Don't forget boiler needs to comply with Building Regulations regarding removal of condensate water.

You are going to need one with a suitable output for your propery which your fitter should advise you of. Also have you checked he is prepared to fit one you supply?

I would personally recommend Vaillant boilers.

I was recommended a Worcester 42cdi.

Ypu wouldn't need such a big output.

It's ben OK, quiet but needs topping up a fair bit - most likely to to the system rather than the boiler.

Check to see if you are eligible for any grants as the government are still keen on energy conservation (allegedly!). Worth doing a search online. My next door neighbour got his new boiler supplied & fitted for next to nothing.

Vaillant and Worcester both make very good boilers and there is not much to chose between them, but in the latest Which report Baxi came out well but there seemed to be a question regarding reliability of them.

Remember that you will need to have Themostatic rad valves fitted if you dont have them.

I recently changed my parents boiler to a Vaillant and it seems to have reduced their gas bill by 22% :D

Harley Man

Another vote for Vaillant.:thumb: Pity you can't go for a 'System' boiler with mains pressure storage tank. Better and quicker hot water delivery than a combi.

valiant is the best closely followed by wocester (bosch) u cannot go wrong have both of them and with maintenance contact i have peace of mind, if u need or have more than one bath u may want to look at megaflow to keep pressure constant whilst using 2 or more bathrooms.

Hi, so I've made a bit of progress! Thanks so much for the advice so far.

Initially I was after something with as long a parts and labour warranty as possible...however it seems that none of the decent brands provide a warranty that is that long.

So I have finally managed to compile a shortlist, as follows:

Prices include "Boiler Starter Pack" here: Mr Central Heating - Discount Gas Central Heating at Lowest UK Prices

I've been looking at:
Potterton Gold C24 HE (2 years) £629 (boiler only)
Valliant ecoTec Pro 24 (2 years) £855 (inc starter pack)
Baxi Duo Tech 24 (2 years) £758
Baxi Platinum 24 HE (5 years) £920 (is this the same as the Potterton Gold??)

OR - should i just go for £500 Ideal, or Sabre?

The Valliant has cheaper parts in comparison to the Potterton Gold, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom