New custodian of C55 Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samoht

Car
S203 C55 AMG, Citroen e-C4, McLaren 570GT
I'm feeling like a little kid at Christmas this weekend, having today picked up my new 2007 C55 AMG Estate.

My journey started when I nearly put my back out craning 1 (one) suitcase awkwardly into my 350Z and decided to get something more practical, and proceeded through a general request for suggestions on PH which yielded dozens of good ideas What practical/fast/cheap car ? - Page 1 - Car Buying - PistonHeads UK , the decisive one coming from a C55 owner. I really love the elegantly curved good looks of this era of Mercedes, was happy with an automatic as I already have one sports car, and was keen to get my hands on my first V8.

A trip to Winchester to drive a dealer's example convinced me that I definitely wanted one of these cars, but definitely not that one Pre-purchase inspection of a C55 near Southampton? | General Discussion . The experience of driving a small, wieldy car with a big V8 really hit the spot for me, and the quest for a 'practical daily' instantly became a search for something rather more special.

This isn't this car's first thread here, Dammit posted shortly after he bought it back in 2018 2007 C55 Estate, laundry list | Parts, Maintenance & Servicing . In fact it was that thread which persuaded me that, since I'm determined to get a C55, his would be a good example to buy. There really aren't many of these cars around for sale, especially in estate form, and having seen the dregs at the bottom of the market I was keen to begin my AMG ownership experience at the other end. In fact my alternative was to get a car in from Japan, but the complications around ULEZ, time to wait for a good example to appear and be shipped, and the fact that this example was ready to go and fully maintained all tipped me this way.

Dammit was selling to upsize for more MTB-hauling capacity, and had seen a nice E63 up North The E63 I don’t own yet. | AMG Lounge , so offered to meet me at Stevenage station with the car, conveniently less than 40 minutes from me in Cambridge. The whole purchasing process went very smoothly, lubricated by shared interest, openness, and the excellent condition in which Dammit keeps his cars. It's often said that the ideal situation is to buy from a fellow enthusiast, and that was certainly the case here.

First impressions - the car looks almost new despite its 13 years and 99k miles. I like the parking sensors, never seen a roof-mounted display before but was perfect to help me escape the car park. The visibility is great and I like the way the bonnet slopes down giving you a clear view of the road immediately ahead, belying the cubic capacity that resides underneath.

This is the first automatic I've had, which took a tiny bit of getting used to especially the feeling that you have to fight the engine when starting to apply the brakes. Having said that it has a lot of benefits, makes entering roundabouts easier for one. I nearly got caught out by Mercedes' special parking brake, but after a few frantic seconds my mind dredged up a memory from a summer working at a car hire firm decades ago, and I found the release handle.

Taking it cautiously across a dual carriageway roundabout, a red Audi TT came past me at speed. As he passed I pulled out into his wake and instinctively squeezed the throttle, and this wonderful bub-bub-bub growl arose from behind - not super-loud, but enough to make me start laughing in the car! There was a single-carriageway leg of the journey later when I was behind another driver who was obviously keen to press on, so we both made a couple of overtakes when it was clear. The engine and gearbox team up well together, it's always 'ready to go' when you see the opportunity, so with the visibility makes overtaking straightforward, all underscored with that muted-NASCAR soundtrack and ample urge.

The car felt good in roundabouts, the steering has a reassuring weight and 'tips in' to turns nicely, you can feel the grip and it inspires confidence. At lower speeds when you try and spin the wheel quickly, I felt a bit of inertia in it, unsure if this is the PAS or just how it is. So perhaps not the best for autocrossing but in road cornering it's rather good. Overall I love that it's a fairly compact car (173cm wide) and feels wieldy with the good visibility and taut well-weighted steering, as well as the ever-present urge of the V8. Wrapped up with comfortable leather seats and plenty of space, the overall package is just lovely.

A few pics of the car in its new home, apologies that it's not been washed since the 70-odd miles of damp winter roads to get here today. It's on its 17" winter wheels with Pirelli Sottozero winters; the original staggered 18"s (also in mint condition) are now tucked up in my garage. The winters are same size all round so don't fill the rear arches, but that's a small price to pay for not crashing in the snow ;-)

ACtC-3dCINV_fU1jDqCxwEgezMXEt7ZxU1omsgB8nSf_de6if-rMDCxIFDlfpZf7vtVmLYMJGUu4AQJgS8aAe4vtB8ZlBEQELgzt5SXM23ZKrwXxzuocoTKxzsNpDLzvRlg5tfcck8X5UrmVdULXpf5Cyda13A=w1288-h966-no

ACtC-3f3PehRo_WChm-No3RTxJVud6GHvG6pDabocsz4aLHgbqr4Ml0yuJTd6fyB_EjjItvxKIU3DJ3WCkNY_f31KfxsUoMDTpzZVPVSw_hZfeG40afcrj4qcTNF94-SWki0DLB31IWFwUwoHtQ7J8piykUSag=w1288-h966-no

ACtC-3dwe8EQ2XOz56kJBAI9-bHJIDkZcVg4putc71EWHMYOQGndIY4QNld8Hb9bfFGRc7pICxypEtX1shD3a1d4CuKFSWOXUsUsI1uxwYGAVF9lKC-EQQdAyLeEx_t_Pdfm8A-ENKA52fKBe2tU3OivHFbVQA=w1333-h966-no

ACtC-3c61RH0ZecHbi5WmQXBuaiwJAn3EBn-YeXeKbXqNEP0il0jkGTeExskRKCquCEq1SC82_jD78mgBKrwk0nqtB6wk_zXI9kiwGPJb7Q5rnng7en_hxcN7mpFT7YdzGnC5koSq44TxnS4pFI6dr0Qm52LOQ=w1066-h872-no

I'm hoping to keep this car for five years or so, it seems to cover a lot of bases and be the perfect complement to my RX-7, which I love but is rather less adept in town, on long trips, or at carrying bicycles. First longer run will probably be to Yorkshire for a family Christmas, then fingers crossed travel restrictions are removed and we can make a Continental trip in 2021 :)

I'm feeling like a little kid at Christmas this weekend, having today picked up my new 2007 C55 AMG Estate.

My journey started when I nearly put my back out craning 1 (one) suitcase awkwardly into my 350Z and decided to get something more practical, and proceeded through a general request for suggestions on PH which yielded dozens of good ideas What practical/fast/cheap car ? - Page 1 - Car Buying - PistonHeads UK , the decisive one coming from a C55 owner. I really love the elegantly curved good looks of this era of Mercedes, was happy with an automatic as I already have one sports car, and was keen to get my hands on my first V8.

A trip to Winchester to drive a dealer's example convinced me that I definitely wanted one of these cars, but definitely not that one Pre-purchase inspection of a C55 near Southampton? | General Discussion . The experience of driving a small, wieldy car with a big V8 really hit the spot for me, and the quest for a 'practical daily' instantly became a search for something rather more special.

This isn't this car's first thread here, Dammit posted shortly after he bought it back in 2018 2007 C55 Estate, laundry list | Parts, Maintenance & Servicing . In fact it was that thread which persuaded me that, since I'm determined to get a C55, his would be a good example to buy. There really aren't many of these cars around for sale, especially in estate form, and having seen the dregs at the bottom of the market I was keen to begin my AMG ownership experience at the other end. In fact my alternative was to get a car in from Japan, but the complications around ULEZ, time to wait for a good example to appear and be shipped, and the fact that this example was ready to go and fully maintained all tipped me this way.

Dammit was selling to upsize for more MTB-hauling capacity, and had seen a nice E63 up North The E63 I don’t own yet. | AMG Lounge , so offered to meet me at Stevenage station with the car, conveniently less than 40 minutes from me in Cambridge. The whole purchasing process went very smoothly, lubricated by shared interest, openness, and the excellent condition in which Dammit keeps his cars. It's often said that the ideal situation is to buy from a fellow enthusiast, and that was certainly the case here.

First impressions - the car looks almost new despite its 13 years and 99k miles. I like the parking sensors, never seen a roof-mounted display before but was perfect to help me escape the car park. The visibility is great and I like the way the bonnet slopes down giving you a clear view of the road immediately ahead, belying the cubic capacity that resides underneath.

This is the first automatic I've had, which took a tiny bit of getting used to especially the feeling that you have to fight the engine when starting to apply the brakes. Having said that it has a lot of benefits, makes entering roundabouts easier for one. I nearly got caught out by Mercedes' special parking brake, but after a few frantic seconds my mind dredged up a memory from a summer working at a car hire firm decades ago, and I found the release handle.

Taking it cautiously across a dual carriageway roundabout, a red Audi TT came past me at speed. As he passed I pulled out into his wake and instinctively squeezed the throttle, and this wonderful bub-bub-bub growl arose from behind - not super-loud, but enough to make me start laughing in the car! There was a single-carriageway leg of the journey later when I was behind another driver who was obviously keen to press on, so we both made a couple of overtakes when it was clear. The engine and gearbox team up well together, it's always 'ready to go' when you see the opportunity, so with the visibility makes overtaking straightforward, all underscored with that muted-NASCAR soundtrack and ample urge.

The car felt good in roundabouts, the steering has a reassuring weight and 'tips in' to turns nicely, you can feel the grip and it inspires confidence. At lower speeds when you try and spin the wheel quickly, I felt a bit of inertia in it, unsure if this is the PAS or just how it is. So perhaps not the best for autocrossing but in road cornering it's rather good. Overall I love that it's a fairly compact car (173cm wide) and feels wieldy with the good visibility and taut well-weighted steering, as well as the ever-present urge of the V8. Wrapped up with comfortable leather seats and plenty of space, the overall package is just lovely.

A few pics of the car in its new home, apologies that it's not been washed since the 70-odd miles of damp winter roads to get here today. It's on its 17" winter wheels with Pirelli Sottozero winters; the original staggered 18"s (also in mint condition) are now tucked up in my garage. The winters are same size all round so don't fill the rear arches, but that's a small price to pay for not crashing in the snow ;-)

ACtC-3dCINV_fU1jDqCxwEgezMXEt7ZxU1omsgB8nSf_de6if-rMDCxIFDlfpZf7vtVmLYMJGUu4AQJgS8aAe4vtB8ZlBEQELgzt5SXM23ZKrwXxzuocoTKxzsNpDLzvRlg5tfcck8X5UrmVdULXpf5Cyda13A=w1288-h966-no

ACtC-3f3PehRo_WChm-No3RTxJVud6GHvG6pDabocsz4aLHgbqr4Ml0yuJTd6fyB_EjjItvxKIU3DJ3WCkNY_f31KfxsUoMDTpzZVPVSw_hZfeG40afcrj4qcTNF94-SWki0DLB31IWFwUwoHtQ7J8piykUSag=w1288-h966-no

ACtC-3dwe8EQ2XOz56kJBAI9-bHJIDkZcVg4putc71EWHMYOQGndIY4QNld8Hb9bfFGRc7pICxypEtX1shD3a1d4CuKFSWOXUsUsI1uxwYGAVF9lKC-EQQdAyLeEx_t_Pdfm8A-ENKA52fKBe2tU3OivHFbVQA=w1333-h966-no

ACtC-3c61RH0ZecHbi5WmQXBuaiwJAn3EBn-YeXeKbXqNEP0il0jkGTeExskRKCquCEq1SC82_jD78mgBKrwk0nqtB6wk_zXI9kiwGPJb7Q5rnng7en_hxcN7mpFT7YdzGnC5koSq44TxnS4pFI6dr0Qm52LOQ=w1066-h872-no

I'm hoping to keep this car for five years or so, it seems to cover a lot of bases and be the perfect complement to my RX-7, which I love but is rather less adept in town, on long trips, or at carrying bicycles. First longer run will probably be to Yorkshire for a family Christmas, then fingers crossed travel restrictions are removed and we can make a Continental trip in 2021 :)
Great write-up and I'm sure you have a great car. If you are going to Germany do get the 155mph limiter deleted.

Welcome Thomas and congratulations on your purchase. Great to see it has gone to a good home after the extensive open wallet surgery the car went under.

Must be one of the best out there. :thumb:

Congrats on your new purchase. That car is without doubt one of the most pampered cars that wanted for nothing during its previous ownership. You got yourself a good one there.

Lovely motor. :) 👍

Welcome to MBClub, you have bought a cracking car, and a particularly good example at that.

Those 17-inch AMG III winter wheels are well dodgy though, they have a very dubious history.

Consider getting the lips re-Diamond cut, they look fantastic like that 👌🏻

I do like a polished lip, but since these are just the winter wheels and not the strongest offsets anyway, I'll probably leave them as-is for the time being.

Just been delighted to discover that the one and only 'Lord' Harry Metcalfe drove this car very car for a brief test in 2009, when it was 2.5 years old and up for sale in the evo classifieds - Mercedes C55 AMG | Evo . A very warm write-up, too - Harry's obviously a fan. As a longtime evo reader this warms my heart :)

It was also papped and posted on a car-spotting website in 2008, outside a London restaurant
mercedes-benz-c-55-amg-combi-c214748364831052008174131_1.jpg

Have been for a couple of entirely unnecessary drives this week, just 'because'.

The V8 is indeed the star of the show, with a fantastic combination of power, torque and smoothness - since a cross-plane V8 is mechanically balanced, it doesn't betray any harshness or hint of protest as it's giving its best. Under full throttle the acceleration has that delicious almost-out-of-control feeling I love in a fast car, similar to my RX-7 although obviously less raw, more comfortable. The soundtrack, deep, textured and mellifluous, keeps making me smile.

The steering is noticeably light in high speed sweepers, probably because that's what Merc buyers want on the motorway, fortunately it weights up really nicely in tighter turns like roundabouts. I like the autobox's responsiveness, although sometimes I feel it could do with dropping the revs by picking a higher gear, with such a large engine. Unfortunately while the paddles let you pick a lower gear, they don't let you command a higher one.

Anyway, had the chance to take a few more pics:
ACtC-3cc7ndatjSiKcxrFo_V4Q8Hz9QHqBgnsJLE7J1VbT9aUyRI8cdQsoz0vS4Asoo7DPRzIU-mqLZJwTUu_4dAvD6xZhJV9NMYOlhx7jcDDUxeyY3xC03Cqng2HxsG6yzl2M7osillJd85_2Ftc5MXf10_WA=w1449-h966-no

yCTlLbdIsio3VysLfImtjAMkMyKC7pQmWMmt-THCi4PpWFE3sYE5LpBq5o7rrVe12My66Mt8vTVUouPePzmsUS93c46Y0_5YRjhzAl2etsGniUWplT1sWD2PMJ1b6s9nd6a1tGJpk3Sbp7Xwt3zZomyT9idcihD4Hr-xzpiBGZl2vF2gK7QGdh5JOUaSSpXbCQ8Dg-Ap7P5dZhXZtSxUqke8_M18BSn-nniPASla0KCuMmrVHA2u2lrhBO64BcjVM1bGempp0_oQHj929qwKkeJ2ab85s4-u9tqWKc853YYrHfIK4u4Z0NuN-xpDG9XBZL7VXZELkYHDL_RFXRbb3Pc7L5TZklT6sVSlIUoTQHIg9ZSn9uoMSLevz0BfGarNKtEBn7cATORcGQPhgNo6gD5m11BuEDxdqKoMDoig93ituUiaSHqIhJ-jD_xSkR_crhBBmbt7p_x8rvLBbuT1AsHs4gMnW9nxBlvdTPMpzB6CorMG-rSWxQhARyzL1yWYId8CELaP_cPYJ-gln771ynUs6-qMOV6hxtZpxkEelIPM--kUA_YWx9JXIWDkfu0ZTZrIYI3rm5HzBS5n2ManG3prGFwEjOPFa2l20kQixnJD1N5vHWQc_dxqPCDK5b_IWzuh21xVM0-X6MOXPfZaQm-XD0Q71a8gPAzUHS4L8w3wCSQqO5bxQemkB3h7SQ=w1449-h966-no

tHiBmqu46i_8B85PWj1l3KTqaDjqjc3pGDL_Ij_WxeVa66HYyoTMwsEWdPGkFbBepDyoFDsIf1Q4KreYC0g0dscek359SHWYlcPq53Me-7kgjcv6jYL38tRuidWmwrrxPYMbf6LqsYdhq40C5cMghRaeXBthzGtAAnazefMNrDambHRV4cmgPj9ZLM6pOFi6KRRvf9Ib8fdFV5JTCsnw-1beF2RzFptSO3UKLXCjhHhj0AJPvPpsx3vP_bh3GG7sULjkXzvpiAEzdZEFxXNLRlDSgH_TbOOSqQQPUPqtEh8VdnvX1PKWIinQaJrloyqZQj4AHQDihBL2i9zSHKee9Xm-JyJ0tqRG80IojgdYkdyQGeMvoeYgrMR-q7u5pKAqW-MzrThf0PTvpqCNPJ3qozb9UXAZwUwDhZ5A0xCEpQP5dLB_nn8uwOx0_ile0lychFUD6kK3HeGKJqDrT_ULKdkFhTkGAW6HbAI8i5uvCr1swR4gPNNk6cdrmtPl3ZvwOgfkumqoFxdUSfLyF58UkuzzK603Ic7HcK0TnJwcg93LL6Wm6ASz82xv8u3YHM10zh_-y5OdlSrZTiligIoAA8vJFuQnF8cvoT0iI84Q5QFw-7V-f7SQkO7HGs9WbEpRErv8B5TB3TsOCLVR1BQWvT1ec5YZyMQqfZQysXAkZ3oJ7HzVhUFOD_XED-iykw=w1449-h966-no

-q7jN2NWTPbfnFgjxa_UoLrBeNl234GThE6YwLvhVK2tbrTl3CBuMzP43mGJ96RAermlT0uH7ZZgs_F4z5V86HfQfHIkIrwSuPSk1Hp8lEjT8Gvf7Q-Hc3aS-VHJqFARY5EHB5M7v4DZhcNFho-oYK6ZxEHGRJwlKgSxABaaa1e2PBAxujknqlF8MzGmol18PgJjcx8paXg23oUgSIqaQAwRdrJns81CBqa1V6qLPu_UWPVLxvsGx0YfavD3gJKqmV4IJrPpCdY4Ry9n7YorbAXrqtQSPXX4-N_GE5mbyfqVya-Z_G97_q7-nnx_PF1uQozKZEQ_9INJZiTLkGr8KR59cLz_S5LBF1mSvmV04oRtuaHNBBpIPGnQw68e91nNSXYIdKQBqzvPzF1zitmrEBrY6kThdpNwi5R8BZxBfhItn3XFmOmwcpwa-GgF0__A-zWqcy_KeUCcitBHjeUsp95AFkD-sTd5coFBWkjG3QfrZTw2-iG8tYoFgGSYnX_t4JWvsZN5VG07xd7YGgi4b3nLe0rU8fFPjsWBmKZakNWa4f2yNkUt5LnAQAHM93tgCP9upWoUlugt5b6hXSOXjVzJbBQNev43mqCxd4yzD47AlUQDjqJq0ncTvZDetg0t26T6Q8G28NCo82QKLjkK_rJ5eBhirehOOgViBcYBhMn_7c5AwTSQUsjHhfwa2Q=w1619-h966-no

Interestingly I'm experiencing a distinct 'Mercedes feeling' behind the wheel of my new car, a sort of mixture of comfort, wellbeing, contentment, satisfaction and (to be honest) a soupcon of smugness. I'm not sure what causes this feeling, how much it's the heated leather seats, torquey engine/auto box combo and smooth-edged way it goes down the road, and how much it's the social construct surrounding the brand. Perhaps other owners can comment ?

Anyway I had a nice trip to see my family in Yorkshire. We decided to take a walk just off Blakey Ridge, which some people may know is the location of the Lion Inn pub on the main road crossing the Moors north-south, and a favourite of car magazines. We took separate cars so I had a lovely drive back down this fun road in the C55, it really finds a nice rhythm with the road, and has a good mix of bump absorption and body control, and is happy to cope with a quick dab of brakes when you find the road ahead curving more sharply than expected. Then returning home down the A1 it comfortably soothed the miles away.

At the end of the walk I found a C200 CDI S203 estate, also silver, had by chance parked up next to me, which was interesting to highlight the differences of the CLK front end. Sorry no pics, it was really cold and windy up on the ridge so I was just keen to get my boots off and into the car!

Anyway my first 'trip' with the new car and really liking it. May be a while before the next jaunt, but I'll look forward to it :)

Really pleased that you are enjoying it!

The one in Southampton that you originally viewed has now sold, so I've probably dodged a bullet there!

Congrats Great example certainly a Sleeper ;)

Interestingly I'm experiencing a distinct 'Mercedes feeling' behind the wheel of my new car, a sort of mixture of comfort, wellbeing, contentment, satisfaction and (to be honest) a soupcon of smugness. I'm not sure what causes this feeling, how much it's the heated leather seats, torquey engine/auto box combo and smooth-edged way it goes down the road, and how much it's the social construct surrounding the brand. Perhaps other owners can comment ?

For me it's the solid construction, power to hand and serene interior. Additionally, the law that Cypriot men must own a Mercedes Benz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom