New Daily Incoming Next Year....CLS55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
Going to look for a new daily next year....thinking a CLS55 could be the way forward. I loved the SC V8 engine and 5 speed box of the E55K but a 211 E55K is getting a smidge dated from the outside for me. A new CLS dress might make the difference as don't fancy a later E63 or even later 212.

Is this anyone's on here:

2006 Black MERCEDES-BENZ CLS 5.5 CLS55 AMG 4dr for sale for £10595

Would love anything other than silver or black but the blue, grey or other colours are seemingly rare. The IWC colour is nice outside but not a fan of the interior. They also seem to have a massive premium for little gain so don't see the need.

It is either a CLS55 or back into another QP or XJ. Unless any other options I have missed?

Good luck with your search. Great cars. I have a blue (Tanzanite) one which took me two years to find. Looked at two of the three Tanzanite that I am told exist with the cashmere beige interior. I have owned mine for over two years and in that time not one other has come onto the market.( I am an OCD watcher!) There are more grey ones but again not many. I have never really got the IWC and as you say that, only part coloured, almost metallic bronze leather is not to my taste either. But then I know most people don't like Cashmere either. which is why most have the black.

Good luck with your search. Great cars. I have a blue (Tanzanite) one which took me two years to find. Looked at two of the three Tanzanite that I am told exist with the cashmere beige interior. I have owned mine for over two years and in that time not one other has come onto the market.( I am an OCD watcher!) There are more grey ones but again not many. I have never really got the IWC and as you say that, only part coloured, almost metallic bronze leather is not to my taste either. But then I know most people don't like Cashmere either. which is why most have the black.
Thanks....so when you selling yours then ? [emoji3]

Not for 12 months or so I'm afraid, as I have just had my wheels and a spare set fully refurbed and fitted with new tyres, and on Wednesday I am having a w219 CLS63 OEM proper paddle steering wheel, which I picked up in the US in the correct cashmere beige and in really nice condition, fitted. So I will be happy for another year.

I have 25k that I could spend in total maybe 30k at a push. My plan was to possibly split that across a CLS55 and a Duo Select QP as weird as that may sound.

Or could split across 2 something's of 10-15k each.

A later 218 CLS63 is tempting but like the weirdness of having two different cars rather than one big one. If they are both cheaper tax preparation end March 2006 it would pretty much cost the same to run two rather than one.

When you get down to big lumpy cars maybe I'll even bite the bullet and self service but not sure if that is a step too far.

Maybe a mix of big old lumpy motor and then newer say 15k Audi S5 V6. There are a ton of options and I really don't need to worry too much about practicality or carrying people too much. Maybe 4 seater as one and 2+2 or 2 seater for other.

I'd go QP.... just cant beat the Maser sound....
Indeed the sound of a Maser is hard to beat. Trouble is I have one I don't drive much but won't stop me at a QP though. I had an Exec GT 2007 ZF Auto for a couple of years until last year and loved it.

I have 25k that I could spend in total maybe 30k at a push. My plan was to possibly split that across a CLS55 and a Duo Select QP as weird as that may sound.

Or could split across 2 something's of 10-15k each.

A later 218 CLS63 is tempting but like the weirdness of having two different cars rather than one big one. If they are both cheaper tax preparation end March 2006 it would pretty much cost the same to run two rather than one.

When you get down to big lumpy cars maybe I'll even bite the bullet and self service but not sure if that is a step too far.

Maybe a mix of big old lumpy motor and then newer say 15k Audi S5 V6. There are a ton of options and I really don't need to worry too much about practicality or carrying people too much. Maybe 4 seater as one and 2+2 or 2 seater for other.

How about these?

- 2007/8 Audi R8 (£30k)
- 2005 Aston Martin DB9 (£25k)
- 2009 Nissan GTR (£30k)
- 2005 Bentley Continental (£20k ish?)
- 2007 Gran Turismo? (£20k Ish)
- CL63?

or if you need 4 doors...

- 2007 Continental Flying Spur (20k)
- W221 S63?
- Maserati QP.
- W211 S600?

Just some other options you may not have thought of :)

How about these?

- 2007/8 Audi R8 (£30k) Very tempting actually
- 2005 Aston Martin DB9 (£25k) Never got the point....back seats are useless and personally I think the Vantage is a better option
- 2009 Nissan GTR (£30k) A bit hard/harsh and potentially high running costs.
- 2005 Bentley Continental (£20k ish?) Lovely and I like them but again high running costs worry me. I've heard plenty of horror stories.
- 2007 Gran Turismo? (£20k Ish) a QP is better value and no bigger. I think GT doors would drive me nuts.
- CL63? Good choice I hadn't thought of.

or if you need 4 doors...

- 2007 Continental Flying Spur (20k) Same as Conti GT teally
- W221 S63? Indeed an option
- Maserati QP. Definitely an option
- W211 S600? Not thought of that one.

Just some other options you may not have thought of :)

Thanks...some great cars in there but you might have me confused with someone of more substantial ongoing means [emoji3]

I should have added a caveat that I like to do some work on my cars where possible for two reasons. One....I enjoy it. Two....I need to in order to make the ongoing running costs work for my model.

I've made some replies above.

Last edited:
A Lotus Evora has been chipping away at me everyone now and again.

A Lotus Evora has been chipping away at me everyone now and again.
I'm not sure how I can say DON'T in a quiet way!
All the following comments are from a purely engineering perspective, and have nothing to do with the way the car looks, it's kudos or that it is still spelt L O T U S.
Back in 2010 I drove quite a few of them as as was contracted by Lotus to engineer the GT4 race version of the Evora.
The car actually drives quite well, but you will still need to handy with the spanners if you want to stay mobile. It is still way off the pace in terms of refinement or build quality relative to its German rivals.

The car looks promising as a race car with a mid engine, but the reality of sitting a heavy Toyota Camry engine on top of the gearbox makes for a high C of G (for a racer) and much more difficult to transform into something competitive.
It's neither fish or fowl. Looks a like it should make a good race car (we did actually win the Vallelunga 6 hrs in only it's 2nd race) but is far too race car like and unrefined to make a daily road car.
Was offered one at cost, but it was going to cost so much in deprecation in the first year....I preferred to keep my CLS.
Just my 2p worth:)

Thanks for that ...much appreciated. Nail in coffin then.

Here's one I made earlier....
DSC05268.jpeg

Jim Clark was my hero as a young lad, so it was a real privilege to produce a car in these colours.

Thanks...some great cars in there but you might have me confused with someone of more substantial ongoing means [emoji3]

I should have added a caveat that I like to do some work on my cars where possible for two reasons. One....I enjoy it. Two....I need to in order to make the ongoing running costs work for my model.

I've made some replies above.
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

2007 Silver AUDI R8 4.2 FSI V8 R Tronic Quattro 2dr for sale for £32500 in Tunbridge Wells, Kent

:D

Mechanical horror stories are not a reason not to buy a car. There is no such thing anymore, almost every car that has been properly maintained will be fine and there are no such thing as cars that should be written off on that basis.
A long time ago I looked at an Evora but in the end the better quality build, better handling and nicer interior of a Cayman S won out.
Also had a GranTurismo and that was a great daily, however mine was the 4.2 which would be the model you would be looking at and the performance is what one might describe as 'fair' if feeling generous, so if that is a factor it is worth bearing in mind.

I think if I ever had an R8 it would have to be the V10. One for the future maybe.

Mechanical horror stories are not a reason not to buy a car. There is no such thing anymore, almost every car that has been properly maintained will be fine and there are no such thing as cars that should be written off on that basis.
A long time ago I looked at an Evora but in the end the better quality build, better handling and nicer interior of a Cayman S won out.
Also had a GranTurismo and that was a great daily, however mine was the 4.2 which would be the model you would be looking at and the performance is what one might describe as 'fair' if feeling generous, so if that is a factor it is worth bearing in mind.

Agreed but always better to start with a model such as a CLS55 that has strength in many areas and less known flaws or design issues mechanically.

I'm not so fussed about ultimate speed as anything under 6 secs to 60 is plenty fast enough. I agree the 4.2 in the GT and QP due to size and weight is not silly quick but plenty fast enough really.

How do you find the Cayman? I had a 987 Boxster S 3.2 that I enjoyed a few years back. A Cayman S or 911 is possible but a 997 is tight on other half of budget.

Agreed but always better to start with a model such as a CLS55 that has strength in many areas and less known flaws or design issues mechanically.

I'm not so fussed about ultimate speed as anything under 6 secs to 60 is plenty fast enough. I agree the 4.2 in the GT and QP due to size and weight is not silly quick but plenty fast enough really.

How do you find the Cayman? I had a 987 Boxster S 3.2 that I enjoyed a few years back. A Cayman S or 911 is possible but a 997 is tight on other half of budget.

It is long gone now but if you can put up with the ugly frog styling then it is a great car. Mine was a first gen 3.4 with a tiptronic gearbox which was rubbish to use as it is controlled by buttons on the wheel so was almost always driven as an auto. The PDKs are much better but they won't meet the budget. Servicing is 20'000 miles and reasonably priced and there are no big drawbacks if you don't need more than 2 seats. There are plenty around with a wide range of colour combinations and specs so it can be fun finding the right one. I kept it for almost a year which is a while for me, or at least was at the time, then shopped it in for a Ferrari 360.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom