New Daily Incoming Next Year....CLS55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is long gone now but if you can put up with the ugly frog styling then it is a great car. Mine was a first gen 3.4 with a tiptronic gearbox which was rubbish to use as it is controlled by buttons on the wheel so was almost always driven as an auto. The PDKs are much better but they won't meet the budget. Servicing is 20'000 miles and reasonably priced and there are no big drawbacks if you don't need more than 2 seats. There are plenty around with a wide range of colour combinations and specs so it can be fun finding the right one. I kept it for almost a year which is a while for me, or at least was at the time, then shopped it in for a Ferrari 360.
Good to know. Would be a manual Cayman anyway. Do they suffer potential IMS issues do you know?

How do you find the 360? What did you get?

I had a crazy idea to sell most of what I have and get something really special. A 360 was certainly possible. However I am not very showey offy and prefer to keep it not so flashy. I shouldn't worry really but it just doesn't suit me. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it I'm sure.

Good to know. Would be a manual Cayman anyway. Do they suffer potential IMS issues do you know?

How do you find the 360? What did you get?

I had a crazy idea to sell most of what I have and get something really special. A 360 was certainly possible. However I am not very showey offy and prefer to keep it not so flashy. I shouldn't worry really but it just doesn't suit me. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it I'm sure.

I believe that the very very earliest models used the suspect part but only the first model year. I had a 2007 and I know four other people who have had them and run them many many many many many miles without issue.

The 360 was a standard Rosso Corsa/Tan with the F1 gearbox. I had a CS rear grille fitted by Carrs Ferrari before I collected it and later had a carbon fibre interior fitted to spruce up what is now a pretty dated looking interior. Build quality wasn't the best but it didn't fall apart and it ran perfectly for 18'000 miles over 14 months before I sold it. I was 27 when I bought it and drove it every day. I never felt flashy driving it around, I just liked it. Reaction from other drivers and in car parks etc tended to be very positive, mainly getting thumbs up rather than the other hand signal I would get in the 911s I have had, however of course you may feel uncomfortable regardless of what others think due to your own perception of the car. Dunno what they are selling for now but they were going up in price when I sold mine due to new supercars shooting up in price.

Before I bought my E55K in 2011, I was looking at Ferrari 360s.

In the end, the performance and practicality won out.

I think a low mileage 2001/2002 360 hard top was around £30/35k and I think a 2004 was £40/45k.

They've doubled since then.

Before I bought my E55K in 2011, I was looking at Ferrari 360s.

In the end, the performance and practicality won out.

I think a low mileage 2001/2002 360 hard top was around £30/35k and I think a 2004 was £40/45k.

They've doubled since then.

I bought mine in late 2010 - your figures are veeeeeery low.

Very nice....these days 360's are one of the cheaper entries in to a 'modern' Ferrari at 50k upwards. Still a chunk though for an old car with far from perfect or Merc like build quality.

Just been looking at doing something bonkers such as an MX5 BBR or doing something custom upgraded. Drove an MX5 Turbo import years back that was plenty of fun.

Very nice....these days 360's are one of the cheaper entries in to a 'modern' Ferrari at 50k upwards. Still a chunk though for an old car with far from perfect or Merc like build quality.

Just been looking at doing something bonkers such as an MX5 BBR or doing something custom upgraded. Drove an MX5 Turbo import years back that was plenty of fun.

You are right to say 'modern' instead of modern. Even when I bought mine it felt significantly older and lower tech than anything I had driven for a long time.

You are right to say 'modern' instead of modern. Even when I bought mine it felt significantly older and lower tech than anything I had driven for a long time.
Agreed. My 4200 feels pretty modern but the 3200 feels a little less so. Around 2003 onwards most stuff seems to start feeling more modern. Prior to that most stuff felt older.

Seems like a CLS55 is favourite at mo for Phase 1. I'll take my time and don't need to rush. The jury is out on the Phase 2. Not sure an MX5 even a BBR one is such a good idea.

I'll focus on selling first for next month or so. Will be selling the XC90, V40, Freelander, Alfa GT and R129 SL500 over next few months. Will bring in a Discovery Sport and CLS55 when I find one then take my time over another.

The 4200, Chimaera and GTi-6 are all staying for some time I expect.

I inquired about this one and spoke to the seller/dealer earlier briefly.
2006 Black MERCEDES-BENZ CLS 5.5 CLS55 AMG 4dr for sale for £8995 in Stourport-On-Severn, Worcestershire

Just come in as part ex so going straight out with no retail prep. Guy was nice enough but pretty insistent on me seeing the car after it had been mopped/polished. I asked him to be honest warts and all as it is 2 1/2 hours from me so don't want a wasted trip. Everything works and nothing wrong with it but there is a big 30k mile whole in service history apparently. Said I could see it 2nd week of Jan when it had been mopped. Seems a little odd to list a car for sale that he wasn't keen on me seeing or buying. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.

Not a fan of the grille or the wheels but they can be changed. I'd be keen to see the car pre mopping really as would prefer to do it myself. Also for someone to not do it badly. Seems like no claying or prep so just a quick few hours machine polishing which we all know often looks OK on the surface but will ruin the paint possibly without a clay or prep first.

Any thoughts people?

Always a worry when you have a move around and find you have two spare car storage spaces [emoji6]

Will be worse when brother-in-law moves into his new house and takes all his stuff out of the converted stable as there is another two spaces there as well!

fa808df2b932f9b620f15e8fac4baca6.jpg

I inquired about this one and spoke to the seller/dealer earlier briefly.
2006 Black MERCEDES-BENZ CLS 5.5 CLS55 AMG 4dr for sale for £8995 in Stourport-On-Severn, Worcestershire

I'd be keen to see the car pre mopping really as would prefer to do it myself. Also for someone to not do it badly. Seems like no claying or prep so just a quick few hours machine polishing which we all know often looks OK on the surface but will ruin the paint possibly without a clay or prep first.

Any thoughts people?

Could well be a nice car but I share your views on the wheels (with AMG anti-wheel weights?) and the mopping of the exterior.
I just cringe at the overtly silicone shine on the interior.
I much prefer a matt or satin look on most interior surfaces....like my CLS back in the day....

CLS6.jpg

Could well be a nice car but I share your views on the wheels (with AMG anti-wheel weights?) and the mopping of the exterior.
I just cringe at the overtly silicone shine on the interior.
I much prefer a matt or satin look on most interior surfaces....like my CLS back in the day....

View attachment 82348
Agreed...very nice CLS btw. Is that a different wheel?

No, standard steering wheel on facelift cars from mid 2009.

It's at the upper end of your budget but what about a Panemera Turbo?.

No, standard steering wheel on facelift cars from mid 2009.
Interesting, didn't know that. Looks better than the earlier style I think.

It's at the upper end of your budget but what about a Panemera Turbo?.
Never been a fan of the Panamera early cars......latest model is looking better.

Never been a fan of the Panamera early cars......latest model is looking better.

I know their looks are a bit subjective but they drive so well!, failing that your budget would get you a later bi turbo CLS or E class too!.

Agreed....very tempted to spend all budget on one car but like so much having different types to keep it varied.

Current thinking is CLS55 with Audi S4 circa 2012 with 3.0 V6 SC for circa 25k for the two.

Reactions: Oli
Agreed....very tempted to spend all budget on one car but like so much having different types to keep it varied.

Current thinking is CLS55 with Audi S4 circa 2012 with 3.0 V6 SC for circa 25k for the two.

I think for me I’d rather have one newer vechicle compared to those two, not that either of them are bad cars in any way, quite the opposite!.

If you like having different types of vechicles for fun there’s quite a noticeable gap of a 2 wheeled one-speaking from experience they make for quite the thrilling fun vechicle :D .

My dad should be dead by all accounts after various motorbike accidents when he was young and foolish so we were always warned away from them. Regardless of this I don't see the attraction and prefer my 4 wheels [emoji6]

I've just set up a new bike and Tacx smart trainer in the garage so that will be the extent of my 2 wheel use I think.

I can understand why people enjoy 2 wheels for sure.

I have a have few cars and a 4 post lift in the garage so keen to have some projects on the go. Also do basic to intermediate maintenance so having one car doesn't really fill that hole. It is still a viable option to have one instead of 2 for this requirement though which is my quandary.

My dad should be dead by all accounts after various motorbike accidents when he was young and foolish so we were always warned away from them. Regardless of this I don't see the attraction and prefer my 4 wheels [emoji6]

I've just set up a new bike and Tacx smart trainer in the garage so that will be the extent of my 2 wheel use I think.

I can understand why people enjoy 2 wheels for sure.

I have a have few cars and a 4 post lift in the garage so keen to have some projects on the go. Also do basic to intermediate maintenance so having one car doesn't really fill that hole. It is still a viable option to have one instead of 2 for this requirement though which is my quandary.

Fair enough, I’ve found there’s nothing like doing a track day on a bike though so involving, can’t wait to get my latest bike round a track, just have to see what 214 Italian horses with the latest electronics feels like :D well it feels great on the road to be fair but far too much for the road at the same time!.

Those Audi S4 S/Cs don’t hang about!, I remember not hugely dropping one off when I had an SL55!.

Another thought, what about the V10 RS6?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom