New Daily Incoming Next Year....CLS55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You are a braver man than I.....enjoy ;)

Indeed the S4 seems a decent all round steed. Don't really want it to be too sport or fun or anything just a boring reliable all rounder. An Audi S4 should be perfect for that!

I am very tempted to get back into an E60 M5 V10 again as had one before. Or an M6 the same vintage. Just not feeling brave or stupid enough yet. A V10 Audi is another option but would prefer a CLS55 I think to all of those.

Had a chat before the xmas break to the dealer/seller on this one:
2006 Black MERCEDES-BENZ CLS 5.5 CLS55 AMG 4dr for sale for £8995 in Stourport-On-Severn, Worcestershire

I'm not a fan of the grille or alloys but these can be changed fairly easily and cost effective enough. There is a little issue and why it is priced a little lower. I've been told that the service history documentation seems to have a fair whole in it. From 2011 to 2015 and 28k to 70k there are no service stamps or bills to suggest any services. I am guessing there must have been but without documentation you must presume the worst I guess.

There is a big whole around the same time as the service history with no MOT in 2012. It has 6 owners.
March 2016 - New
Feb 2009 @ 18166
Mar 2010 @ 24435
Mar 2011 @ 28698
Jul 2011 @ 29483
Jul 2013 @ 56246
Mar 2014 @ 57539
Mar 2015 @ 70531
Jan 2016 @ 73164
Dec 2016 @ 81880
Dec 2017 @ 88933
Nov 2018 @ 95128

WBAC is £4400! Evans Halshaw is £3355. I am guessing due to part history and maybe 6 owners although that isn't silly high.

Not sure about this one. Any thoughts?

I decided a while back that should I need a daily a cl500 with the 400bhp would be the best compromise. A 63 would be great but for day today stuff 400 is enough. Something like thishttps://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809200698575?year-from=2007&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&colour=Blue&colour=Unlisted&advertising-location=at_cars&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&sort=sponsored&radius=1500&model=CL&postcode=sw1a1aa&page=1
Sadly they don't do colours very often! Again. Why? I just don't get it, colours were an option but no one seemed to buy them

That one is rather expensive mind.
2008 Grey MERCEDES-BENZ CL 5.5 CL500 2dr for sale for £10995 in Coalville, Leicestershire

I decided a while back that should I need a daily a cl500 with the 400bhp would be the best compromise. A 63 would be great but for day today stuff 400 is enough. Something like thishttps://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809200698575?year-from=2007&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&colour=Blue&colour=Unlisted&advertising-location=at_cars&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&sort=sponsored&radius=1500&model=CL&postcode=sw1a1aa&page=1
Sadly they don't do colours very often! Again. Why? I just don't get it, colours were an option but no one seemed to buy them

That one is rather expensive mind.
2008 Grey MERCEDES-BENZ CL 5.5 CL500 2dr for sale for £10995 in Coalville, Leicestershire

That first one is very expensive for an 07. 2013 plates are early £20ks.

Second one appears much better value.

Had a chat before the xmas break to the dealer/seller on this one:
2006 Black MERCEDES-BENZ CLS 5.5 CLS55 AMG 4dr for sale for £8995 in Stourport-On-Severn, Worcestershire

I'm not a fan of the grille or alloys but these can be changed fairly easily and cost effective enough. There is a little issue and why it is priced a little lower. I've been told that the service history documentation seems to have a fair whole in it. From 2011 to 2015 and 28k to 70k there are no service stamps or bills to suggest any services. I am guessing there must have been but without documentation you must presume the worst I guess.

There is a big whole around the same time as the service history with no MOT in 2012. It has 6 owners.
March 2016 - New
Feb 2009 @ 18166
Mar 2010 @ 24435
Mar 2011 @ 28698
Jul 2011 @ 29483
Jul 2013 @ 56246
Mar 2014 @ 57539
Mar 2015 @ 70531
Jan 2016 @ 73164
Dec 2016 @ 81880
Dec 2017 @ 88933
Nov 2018 @ 95128

WBAC is £4400! Evans Halshaw is £3355. I am guessing due to part history and maybe 6 owners although that isn't silly high.

Not sure about this one. Any thoughts?

No, grille and wheels are shyte on that - doing it no favours.

Can't stand the grey interior. Reminds me of John Major.

I wouldn't be happy with that service gap unless the car was quite a bit cheaper but then I am quite risk averse. These cars are not cheap as a lot of us know so I'd want everything to be as right as is possible.

Unless of course the price drops significantly - accordingly!

I think I would rather buy an enthusiast-owned vehicle.

No, grille and wheels are shyte on that - doing it no favours.

Can't stand the grey interior. Reminds me of John Major.

I wouldn't be happy with that service gap unless the car was quite a bit cheaper but then I am quite risk averse. These cars are not cheap as a lot of us know so I'd want everything to be as right as is possible.

Unless of course the price drops significantly - accordingly!

I think I would rather buy an enthusiast-owned vehicle.

I tend to agree....needs to be 8k max probably less or doesn't make sense compared to some better documented cars.

I don't mind the grey interior so much. Prefer the piano black or similar trim rather than the brown wood colours.

You are a braver man than I.....enjoy ;)

Indeed the S4 seems a decent all round steed. Don't really want it to be too sport or fun or anything just a boring reliable all rounder. An Audi S4 should be perfect for that!

I am very tempted to get back into an E60 M5 V10 again as had one before. Or an M6 the same vintage. Just not feeling brave or stupid enough yet. A V10 Audi is another option but would prefer a CLS55 I think to all of those.
The S4 and the CLS55 will be roughly the same performance with an edge in the CLS's favour, for a relatively small outlay on a stage 1 tune the S4 will be awesome.

So would I. If it hasn't sold yet to another member who was showing some interest, I'd be looking at at this one, previously owned by forum member Whitenemesis.

Mercedes Benz CLS 55 AMG - Obsidian Black, Distronic, 2 Year Warranty!!

This looks like a winner. Shame there are no pictures yet but is described well.

Not sure I can see what the mileage is but assuming early 6 figures. Even if more, at that sort of money then if it is running well, is a bit of a bargain really considering what else I've just seen on AT.

Has good provenance too.

6 Series? I absolutely love the predecessor and successor but the E63 is a bit of a turd in my eyes.

I do like a lot of Bangle's work but the 6, albeit an interpretation by someone else, was based on the Z9 which was Bangle's and it was pretty grim to start with.

Saying that, I feel a lot of his work has not aged well at all.

Given the choice, the CLS is by far the nicer looking car of the two by an enormous margin.

Manual 6 at least wont give you SMG headaches!

Only you can decide though...

Out of everything you have suggested so far, the CLS would be my choice.

Does the CLS55 still have SBC similar to the E55?

I loved the E55K but the one and only thing I could fault it for is the feel and operation of the SBC brakes. There was something not quite right with them for me on both my E55K's. Can't quite put my finger on it but they just didn't feel the same as others.

Fair enough, I’ve found there’s nothing like doing a track day on a bike though so involving, can’t wait to get my latest bike round a track, just have to see what 214 Italian horses with the latest electronics feels like :D well it feels great on the road to be fair but far too much for the road at the same time!.

Those Audi S4 S/Cs don’t hang about!, I remember not hugely dropping one off when I had an SL55!.

Another thought, what about the V10 RS6?.

Interesting you say that about the Audi S4, I had a dual with one on the M6 just past Blackpool last week and it just couldn’t shake my BMW 330d off.....the look on his face was a picture.

Does the CLS55 still have SBC similar to the E55?

I loved the E55K but the one and only thing I could fault it for is the feel and operation of the SBC brakes. There was something not quite right with them for me on both my E55K's. Can't quite put my finger on it but they just didn't feel the same as others.

Yeah the CLS55 also has the SBC braking system.

SBC is the best braking system I've ever had so far. It has saved me on one occasion without doubt. The pump now being a consumable item is the only drawback I can see.

If MB didn’t have such a high markup on the pump it wouldn’t be such an issue, especially as they are rebuilt now. Something like £300-£400 would be reasonable IMO.

Interesting you say that about the Audi S4, I had a dual with one on the M6 just past Blackpool last week and it just couldn’t shake my BMW 330d off.....the look on his face was a picture.
Not sure he was driving that M6 @ 100% [emoji6]

Unless the E60 M5 I had wasn't stock it was the fastest car I have had or driven by a reasonable margin.

Not sure he was driving that M6 @ 100% [emoji6]

Unless the E60 M5 I had wasn't stock it was the fastest car I have had or driven by a reasonable margin.

I wasn’t talking about the M6....I was talking about the S4. I’m sure the M6 would have blown me away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom