New daily runner. E55k estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunning

MB Enthusiast
Car
800BHP Rothmans 911 / Range Rover / s212
Well I bought E55BOF's e55 amg estate. Very happy with it! Since buying it from him on Wednesday I've driven from beaconsfield to Cornwall, then a return journey to Dartmouth naval college. It's great having that power back as I've been missing it since the last one in 2013.

Plans for this car are quite boring really, first I'll take out the tinted windows out of the front, then possibly the rears too when I have more time.

Give it a detail,
put my V8 WOA plate on it,
Probably return the wheels to silver and in the mean time look for either some 19" style 3's or possibly a set of 18" turbines?
Unsure on the way to go with the exhaust, whether to remove secondary cats and have an x pipe put in, or possible straight through from the cats back? Any issues with loss of power if I went straight through?
Put e55 amg badges on the back as I'm not fussed about people knowing it's a 55.

Can't think of much else for the minute.

Any advice and suggestions welcome as usual

Started taking the front tints out and realised it has blue factory tints from the factory so decided to take all the tinted windows out. Photos to follow

JohnEBoy said:
Possibly. Medium and Long Tube Headers require a remap.

Do I need a remap if I just get rid of the secondary cats and centre resonator? Also apart from noise, is there a power benefit? I doubt it but worth asking

Nice car. Agree on putting the rims back to silver. I much prefer Style III's to turbines.

Londonscottish said:
Nice car. Agree on putting the rims back to silver. I much prefer Style III's to turbines.
I prefer style 3's but keeping it on 18s and something a little different I thought turbines could be quite nice

I also took off the LED day time running lights that were sitting there like turds in the front lower grill.

Just to be clear, I didn't put the turds there, just never got round to removing them. :D

Glad you're happy with it, Charlie; obviously no sudden twang and cessation of forward motion on the way back to Cornwall...

I rather like the dark wheels on a silver car, but I wouldn't want them on my dark blue one; definitely silver for dark cars.

Good luck with the exhaust mods; I'm of (and from) an age to prefer the iron fist in the velvet glove - and an E55K definitely qualifies as an iron fist :thumb:

Glad you bought it because if he'd have been a bit further north then I'd have probably gone to have a look and bought it!

Do I need a remap if I just get rid of the secondary cats and centre resonator? Also apart from noise, is there a power benefit? I doubt it but worth asking

I wouldn't have thought you'd need a remap for that. However, I am not sure.

When I bought mine, it had the secondary CATs removed only. Acid dyno'd it at 510BHP (with K&N air filters as well).

Whilst it might have been remapped, because it was missing the 155mph limiter, I am not sure!

I had a feeling that was the car that you had bought. Enjoy!

No remap necessary. I only had a dyno run after the exhaust work so don't know if there was any increase or not. If there was it was very small.
The noise however is much better.

I took ours to work today as it hadn't been used for a week. Its just warm and comfortable and zooms past almost anything. There was a 458 on a test drive from **** Lovetts ...
Good choice, I didn't think that would hang around long.

ETA Ha, swear filter doesn't like the abbreviation of Richard!

Last edited:
E55BOF said:
Just to be clear, I didn't put the turds there, just never got round to removing them. :D Glad you're happy with it, Charlie; obviously no sudden twang and cessation of forward motion on the way back to Cornwall... I rather like the dark wheels on a silver car, but I wouldn't want them on my dark blue one; definitely silver for dark cars. Good luck with the exhaust mods; I'm of (and from) an age to prefer the iron fist in the velvet glove - and an E55K definitely qualifies as an iron fist :thumb:

I remember you saying they weren't your additions. They weren't even connected. I must admit after a good clean inside and out of about 5 hours today it does indeed look like a different car. I am keeping the wheels grey now as I feel without the tinted windows the grey wheels are actually nice addition.

AMGeed said:
No remap necessary. I only had a dyno run after the exhaust work so don't know if there was any increase or not. If there was it was very small. The noise however is much better.

Was it a noticeable noise increase?

Was it a noticeable noise increase?

Only on acceleration and initial start up. Full throttle, when you can use it, the sound is superb but still muted compared to the 63 engines. TBH, I am considering C/CLS63 rear mufflers for a bit more noise.

Only just seen this as I've not been on forum much lately. Congrats, they are great cars as you know.

Personally I wouldn't go down the turbines route. IMO they really don't suit an e55. My car had turbines when I first bought it and I just couldn't get to like them, I changed them for a set of style III's. I will dig some pics out so you can see the difference.

Also personally I think the exhaust system is best left as stock unless you go down headers and rear box swaps. I had the X pipe and secondary cat deleted but really didn't like it. No power gains, and to me a noticeable drop in responsiveness due to losing back pressure. I also didn't particularly like the sound. Yes it was louder and deeper but to me not in a nice way and it did introduce some drone in the 2000 - 2500 rev range. I very quickly reverted it back to stock and all was well again. I ended up getting c63 rear boxes which gave the the sound I liked and is a much better way forward IMO.

BTW - most people would probably disagree with me about the X pipe, but......

Attachments

• CIMG2688.jpg
    CIMG2688.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 91
  • CIMG2738.jpg
    CIMG2738.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 92
BTW - most people would probably disagree with me about the X pipe, but......

I like both awesome mota!
Now post one with your sexy bbs!

only milk or juice come in 2l!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom