New Development Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
Well I have started the dialogue & process with the council pre-planning dept. This could be a short or long road but here goes.

We have a 2.5 acre plot with our house on the 0.5 acre with the 2 acre bit we would like to build on which is greenbelt. Not sure why it is greenbelt as nobody can really see it and one highway boundary is a dead end so no through traffic. The other boundary highway is a rural b road with little traffic.

The site is rural and we have 3 neighbours really with maybe 3-5 acres a piece. If there was a house on the 2 acre plot already you would never batter an eyelid. We know there was a cottage at the top bit of the 2 acre section maybe 50-100 years ago and another at the bottom longer ago than that.

Then the previous owner had the 2 acre plot pretty much filled with greenhouses when they moved in maybe 30 years ago. These were removed and it became 3 paddocks for horses with 3 outbuildings so a stable block and two other outbuilding used as tacking room and putting shed.

Has anyone firstly had any experience developing on their own land attached to their home?

Secondly has anyone done this on their land that is greenbelt?

Any help, advice, opinions or information is very much welcomed.

I can't recall all the details, but SPX bought a large plot of land with a view to developing it, but passed it on after struggling with council red tape.

He will be able to elaborate, however, it wasn't attached to his house and I don't know if it was greenbelt.

He might have some pointers though.

Thanks. Yes I remember reading the thread. Good thing from our situation is that we are Hertfordshire in SE in a council area that have zero chance of hitting the numbers for new dwellings stated in their local plan.

We just need to do all the research & work needed to bolster a strong & robust strategy & case for this particular scenario.

There is an option to do 1-6 houses but no idea what will be possible or achievable. If we do one and live in it then sell the old house it makes us mortgage free which is the ultimate goal. If we can go further it becomes more financially advantageous but takes away part of the reason we moved to this wonderfully quiet & rural location.

The site is rural and we have 3 neighbours really with maybe 3-5 acres a piece. If there was a house on the 2 acre plot already you would never batter an eyelid. We know there was a cottage at the top bit of the 2 acre section maybe 50-100 years ago and another at the bottom longer ago than that.

Look at the LDP, and have a good look at the planning portal to get an idea of how the local planners think.

To be honest I think you have no hope at all, it would very hard to establish need, perhaps in a village that's crying out for afordables, but you want to build one, presumably expensive house?

The fact there were houses on the land a long time ago is meaningless in planning terms BTW. Plenty of people have bought ruined houses out in the country only to discover that use has lapsed and getting resi back is mission impossible.

It happens all the time.

But only in rare circumstances, land next to existing settlements or within settlement boundries.

Firing up a load of houses in a paddock won't be easy, otherwise everyone would do it, building one in the half acre garden might be possible?

It happens all the time.

Happens all the time up our way, but only by large developers who usually have the local planning dept in their pocket anyway.

Russ

But only in rare circumstances, land next to existing settlements or within settlement boundries.

Firing up a load of houses in a paddock won't be easy, otherwise everyone would do it, building one in the half acre garden might be possible?

There's nothing rare about it and as pressure for new homes increases so will the number of green belt developments:

Beautiful parts of England under attack from developers as new homes planned for Green Belt surge by a quarter in just 12 months

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...or-green-belt-have-risen-to-360000-in-england

There was a documentary one evening a couple of weeks ago which highlighted just how meaningless green belt status is becoming.

I looked into the point of buildings that were previously on the plot and have been advised by planning that it only helps if the structure/building is still there now. There is apparently no consideration for anything that was there more years ago than any current neighbours or locals can remember. However the existing outbuildings/stable etc. may be more useful.

I had looked at get loads of barns or outbuildings knocked up to use for car storage for 3 years then applying for a change of use which is possible. Wish I had done that 3 years ago as it is 3 years since we moved in next month! Hindsight!!

I'm am going to do as much research as a I can and see if I can get a/some smaller house builders involved that may have planning consultants/architects in toe that work with them. They will likely be much more ready and informed to tackle this the best way.

There's nothing rare about it and as pressure for new homes increases so will the number of green belt developments

But that's big developers delivering many homes to address local need - in most cases on sites that have been identified in the LDP.

If you can just buy a paddock somewhere nice and build on it, everyone would be at it.

One would be easy enough I think and in keeping. Two would be fine as well. More and there would need to be a desire from local planning/council to push it through as obviously more helps their numbers but local residents need to be in agreement. Luckily we don't have many neighbours but the same issues still apply. It then means we would maybe think about moving to a completely different location to live and am not sure I agree with more than 4 morally/locally or for the neighbours.

One would have 2 acres which in my opinion of keeping it for 3 years is too much. An acre a plot is perfect if you want plenty of space with a reasonable amount of controllable upkeep. To do 4 with 0.5 acres a piece would still work for all sides and is plenty of space for most. It is understanding the local council's directive and desires that would help. I think I might need to tap into an MP as a resource. I have helped and not hindered things for him so maybe this could be returned now.

There will be plenty of people around who have done this and better placed to help/advise even get involved in the project. It is just trying to find one or them.

The plot is 2.5 acres in total and L-shaped. The paddock is no longer and we use it as a garden for our house now as our sole use. Also for storage space for a couple of cars and wood/tools etc.

We have had fireworks parties, bbq parties and father/son/daughter camping things so have used it as much as we can as 2.5 acres is quite a size as a garden. Done some driver training for my kids and some golf lessons so it gets used a fair bit. However the local rabbits use it a little more than us on a more regular basis.

It just seems an odd rectangle plot of land directly in between two existing plots/dwelling of our neighbors. You can't see it from the lane at the bottom at all and if a house was there you would think it should have always have been there and always was.

Just seems a waste of space really that could be so much better used with no impact on anyone. I'm just trying to do my bit to help this terrible housing crisis and shortage we have ;)

Well there is a lot of green belt being built on at the moment,with 67 million people in the country and this is increasing by 500,000 a year,so you may well have a chance of building,first find old maps ,many are at the county records which show dwellings,also find the foundations of that cottage,that will help with any talks with the council.

Well there is a lot of green belt being built on at the moment,with 67 million people in the country and this is increasing by 500,000 a year,so you may well have a chance of building,first find old maps ,many are at the county records which show dwellings,also find the foundations of that cottage,that will help with any talks with the council.

I looked into this point as we know there was a cottage at the top bit of the 2 acre plot maybe 50-100 years ago and another at the bottom longer ago than that.

I have been advised by planning that it only helps if the structure/building is still there now. There is apparently no consideration for anything that was there more years ago than any current neighbours or locals can remember. However the existing outbuildings/stable etc. may be more useful.

I had looked at get loads of barns or outbuildings knocked up to use for car storage for 3 years then applying for a change of use which is possible. Wish I had done that 3 years ago as it is 3 years since we moved in next month! Hindsight!!

A planning application to build a new school in Mill Hill has just turned down due to the land being Green Belt.

I guess I could understand that as it has a much greater impact than 1-4 dwellings. However we need more schools and we need more houses so someone somewhere is going to need to start conceding some ground.

If we can give the green light to projects (such as mine!) that genuinely have less or little impact that must be the way forward to start with.

rockits said:
I guess I could understand that as it has a much greater impact than 1-4 dwellings. However we need more schools and we need more houses so someone somewhere is going to need to start conceding some ground. If we can give the green light to projects (such as mine!) that genuinely have less or little impact that must be the way forward to start with.
I could be wrong here but I think your post contradicts itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom