New doors coming your way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
oh and i was just getting used to "wriggling" into my C63

still you could hear the exhaust really well with these open ...just before they gassed you !:rolleyes:

better mark me down as "not sure":crazy:

or as Jonnyboy would say ..Bonkers!

That looks amazing. Thought it was a joke at first. I'd have them in a flash. Beats my electrically opening/closing boot anyday!

gotta be the way to go. Bet in 25yrs time all cars will have this. They are just so easy for everyone to use

Nice when clean, scratchy painty when dirty as they fold away.
Also a sod to get in when the battery goes flat..

Nice when clean, scratchy painty when dirty as they fold away.
Also a sod to get in when the battery goes flat..

There's an FAQ from the company that addresses some of these questions:
F A Q | Disappearing Car Door

These doors were discussed on here a few months ago. The main drawback seemed to be that the doors had no internal structure to speak of.

Just don't park over the top of any speed bumps!

Looks a damned good idea for a number of reasons, but I'd bet it adds significantly to the cost of the vehicle - and that's why no mainstream manufacturer has offered it. Didn't BMW have something like that on an early 2 seater (predecessor to the Z3, believe it was called the Z1)

Looks a damned good idea for a number of reasons, but I'd bet it adds significantly to the cost of the vehicle - and that's why no mainstream manufacturer has offered it. Didn't BMW have something like that on an early 2 seater (predecessor to the Z3, believe it was called the Z1)

Yes it was the Z1 but the doors didn't go all the way under, just down into the very high sill.

http://www.ssip.net/upload/bmw-z1-door-down-1_119.jpg

Last edited:
It is a sort of upside-down Gullwing door .

As already mentioned, they'll add cost and weight. Back to the drawing board.

I had a Z1 briefly and those doors were a nightmare for me to get in and out of the car, at least when the roof was up!!! Looked cool though and certainly attracted attention anytime I parked near people! :D

Interesting oddity with this car was all the platic body panels could be "easily" taken off and changed if you wanted to change colour or had a prang!

z1.JPG

Last edited:
Nice but It would be a nightmare if someone hits your "disappearing door"....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom