New E class Estate vs Range Rover sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mudster

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
I'd pretty much decided that my next car (In sept to replace the Saab when the contract ends) is the E350 cdi Estate. But Mrs M has thrown a spanner in the works.

We were passing the Land Rover dealer in Coulsdon last weekend and decided to pop in just for a look see, I'd thought we'd have the same problem as we did with the Mercedes ML, wide sills, not at all nice to get in and out but I was wrong.

The Range Rover sport was so Easy for Mrs M (Ms Sufferer) to get in and out that it was a real eye opener.

I get cars on contract hire, and once I'd done the sums, if I specced the E class to the same level as the RRS 3.0v6td HSE they were pretty much the same price (monthly).

I used to own a Range Rover, I had it for 7 years the longest I've ever owned a car and I have to admit to a soft spot for them, but you had to want to own one...it went wrong regularly.....are the new ones as unreliable? should I just forget it and go with the E class, do without the toys and save £200 a month?

I now find myself looking at all the RRSports on the road.

However on the way home tonight a new E class saloon cruised pass on the M23 and I did think it was a handsome car.

Two very different cars and difficult to compare.

If we get winters like we had this year, the RR would be boon, but the rest of the year it's just another Chelsea Tractor.

Has anyone had one or driven one with any regualrity? A RRS that is....

Consider fuel consumption. Close to 50mpg v. close to 40 if you're lucky. Edit: Closer to 30MPG in the RRS TDV6...:crazy::crazy:

Last edited:
My Dad who has a E320Cdi Estate was waiting for the new estate,

He like you has looked at other makes, and agrees that the new style RR and RR sport are VERY nice inside and very well but togther.

He has also looked at the X5's and likes them and even the 535dGT ? think that's right.

As much as he has owned mercs for years, the new estate hasn't done it for him yet. He also looked at the Jag XF and if they made an estate he said he would have that, far nicer than the new E inside.

Good job we are all different, he likes the idea of 4*4 for the trips he does to france. I think the RR would be closer to 30mpg however and he is use to around 45mpg currently. As daft as it seeems paying £45 - £50K for a car this difference would bug him.

Have you looked at a Discovery?

Fair enough it doesn't have the badge, but those who buy on image need their heads looking at IMO. Essentially the same car underneath, looks less dated, 7 seat option and you should get more for your money. Everyone I know with one loves them.

With the RRS have a read about the Active Rear E Differential. It's an optional extra, but from what i've read, well worth it.

I test drove a RRS TDV8 (pre-facelift model) a few months ago, and i was very impressed with it.

I found it quite quick for a 2.5 ton car and it had a nice V8 rumble to it. I was also quite surprised how well it handles for a big car.

I would love to own one, unfortunately i can't afford one.

If you need more info on the RRS visit the RRS forum.

LINK

^ again the disco 3 looks 10 times better with the new dash / more leather etc

Thing is its too close in price to the RR sport for a desent one

Now thats a very difficult one. But somehow I think ........yes the Merc.

RRS would get my nod if it were a reliable car. I do not know that it is. Performance bar poor weather/off road is significant worse but its a nice car.

Going the SUV route I'd look at MLs, the X5(which will be a better product than the RRS) and the 5 GT

Going the SUV route I'd look at MLs, the X5(which will be a better product than the RRS) and the 5 GT

ML and X5 I can understand, but 5GT?

d_renault_5_gt_turbo_21.jpg

Nothing wrong with old Renaults...but you're right don't get it. Unless there's a new X5GT??

I think *** meant the new BMW 5 Series GT :crazy:

BMW-5-Series-GT.jpg

Range Rover Sport is what all pimps, drug dealers and pikey's aspire to own IMHO. :ban: Don't forget the blacked out windows!

Not keen on the Sport, but I can safely say my 03 Range Rover was the best built car I have ever owned and it gave me two years of truly satisfying and absolutely trouble free motoring. I gave it up solely because parking it in Central London was a nightmare.

ML350 I really like, but not at all easy for Mrs M to get in and out. We went to MBworld to try all the cars and E class & B class were best options.

5 Series GT not practical enough (Wheelchair + 2 dogs)
X5...have you seen how small the boot is?

Audi Q5 where's the boot gone? And how much?

Audi Q7....Huge, gargantuan, and all the air in the cabin is free, anything else is an option.

I was really impressed with the interior of the RRS, sad to say but it made the interior of the E class look cheap and tatty, but it's whole lot of money. As pointed out already, simlar spec Disco is RRS money and I'd prefer the RRS.

I don't like black windows at all and I'd be after something colourful.

I now drive around 12K miles a year.....so as long as the fuel consumption isn't silly...(sub 20 average) I'm not wholly bothered.

I'd guess the E350cdi would average High 30's and the RRS mid to high 20's.....in the big scheme of things that isn't a consideration.

The question I've not answered yet is do I want to pay a premium for a RRS or do I take a nice spec E350 (not many options) and pocket the difference.

The RR interior is like the Jag though, it's just such a nice place to be.

If there was an XF Estate we wouldn't be having this thread...it would have been ordered already.

My brother in-law has a RRS and thinks it is the dogs you know what. That said though he is all badge and image at heart, having graduated from a Porsche for the same reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom