New e class w211 checklist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cribert

Car
Mercedes
Hi guys, just bought one of these

2003 e270 cdi

It has full mbsh and seems ok. Bodywork is good and I’m happy with it however I like to do bits and bobs to cars to get them to my standard and have a few questions (never owned a merc before)

1. Interior lights not working. Does this indicate a whole new unit? Or is it common for fuses to go
2. Thermostat is reading low and needs changed. Is it worth draining the coolant completely? What is the coolant capacity?
3. Doors are stiff, how should I lube them up
4. Steering feels a bit heavier than expected. It is on 19s but I’ve nothing to compare it to as I’ve only driven this one. Common issue?
5. Brakes don’t seem that great, haven’t checked them but are they known to be a weak point? My previous car did have over servo’d brakes so maybe I’m just not used to them yet.

Thanks!

Brakes should be very powerful so something amiss there.

Thanks. I’ll be inspecting the pads and discs to see what’s what with them.

Every older E and C class I've had needed the thermostat changing. Not a big or expensive job, and improves MPG anyway

I understand silicone spray is good for the doors. Don't tempted by WD40

I did the thermostat couple of days ago and it’s running much better. Fairly straight forward to do aswell. Merc did pull my pants down but hey ho!

I have some silicone spray so I’ll guve that a try, thanks!

I did the thermostat couple of days ago and it’s running much better. Fairly straight forward to do aswell. Merc did pull my pants down but hey ho!

I have some silicone spray so I’ll guve that a try, thanks!

The W211 steering will feel heavy with 19” wheels on, even the E55K only came with 18”...

Do you have parametric (speed sensitive) steering option?

You have SBC, they should be very good... careful when change pads! Star and pressure bleeder recommended for bleeding...

Interior lights not working: Have you checked whether they're switched off. (I Know it's a stupid question, but first thing to check). "Failing that," check fuse then bulbs.
Doors often feel stiff if they haven't been used. Routine lubricant on the hinges will work. Nothing clever required. Had the same issue with my two S211's. (I used a WD40 equivalent - cough)

Steering shouldn't feel heavy at all. These cars can turn like a London Taxi. Shouldn't feel ridiculously light, just normal.

Brakes? Should feel superb. These are the default choice of taxi drivers the world over. Sure the pads are OK ? As discussed above, it's not an entirely routine job to replace the pads IF they need replacing.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve tried every combination on the actual dome but the lights do not illuminate. Is there a button anywhere else that would turn them on?

For Coolant flush, you'll be needing 4.5 litres of coolant and an equal amount of water. It's a simple DiY, the drain for radiator is on the right side if you are facing the car from front.

Hi guys, just bought one of these

2003 e270 cdi

It has full mbsh and seems ok. Bodywork is good and I’m happy with it however I like to do bits and bobs to cars to get them to my standard and have a few questions (never owned a merc before)

1. Interior lights not working. Does this indicate a whole new unit? Or is it common for fuses to go
2. Thermostat is reading low and needs changed. Is it worth draining the coolant completely? What is the coolant capacity?
3. Doors are stiff, how should I lube them up
4. Steering feels a bit heavier than expected. It is on 19s but I’ve nothing to compare it to as I’ve only driven this one. Common issue?
5. Brakes don’t seem that great, haven’t checked them but are they known to be a weak point? My previous car did have over servo’d brakes so maybe I’m just not used to them yet.

Thanks!

Does this help with the interior lights?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Most things seem to have been covered above but in terms of steering have the wheel alignment checked (all 4) as they are sensitive to mis-alignment.Also, check tyre pressures are correct, try increasing a couple of PSI and try?

As for the brakes, as said, the SBC system is very powerful, as well as looking at the condition (and brand) of the pads when was the fluid last changed?

Be very careful if you intend to change discs and pads. With SBC the high pressure pump primes when you unlock the car, if working on the brakes it is best to disconnect the battery so this cannot happen whilst the brakes are being worked on as the caliper pistons can be driven out with great force which may cause damage if partly disassembled or injury if you trap your hand etc. The other way is to lock the car and keep the keys well away from where you are working!

With SBC you really need Star to change the fluid as the pump need to be activated in sequence and valves.

MB Edinburgh are very competitive for parts especially brake parts, try Steve Jenkins: [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom