new E class : where's my USB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bodtwo

Car
E250CDI Estate Sport
Hi All,

on friday received my shiny new E250 CDI Sport Auto estate, standard except for metallic paint. Although it arrived with delivery mileage, i think it's a 2011 spec car. It has standard audio 20 with a single CD and no other options, command was nice but it blew my budget.

Question i have is where is the USB port to connect an MP3 player? I have what looks like an AUX input in the centre cubby hole under my left arm, but nothing else. I have blue-toothed the iPhone, but doesn't seem a way to stream bluetooth music from the iPhone if i don't have a USB for the ipod touch i used to keep in the beemer.

And yes, from the front it does look like a transformer and it 'seems' to dwarf my old 5 series.

Thanks for any help

PS have searched and it seems there are SO many options out there i can't find a definitive answer.

should be in the centre console at the back of the compartment

oh apparently

2011 might be in the glove compartment
2012 is centre console
have a look

nope, nada, nothing there, even had the torch out.

if it is a 2011 spec it would be in the glovebox thought it was part of the media interface pack whereby you get the ipod, aux and usb leads, which was standard with comand otherwise a cost option, might be wrong but thats how it was when I spec'd my car as a 2011MY

Not sure if the Audio 20 comes with the media pack - do you have a pack of leads as well? I'd be surprised if it was a MY2011 being delivered in October - Mine was a MY2012 delivered in July - unless it came out of dealer / central stock of course.

Does the manual not shed any light?

Manual covers base Audio 20 but then infers to every option under the sun. No cables came with it and i don't have command and i didn't order a media interface pack. Leased so i guess they've supplied from stock. It's MB silver with auto so i'm guessing there were quite a few of them kicking around.

Bugger, that's a pain, do i have any options, keeping in mind it's leased so don't want to be throwing cash at it?

even when you get the cable/cables things get interesting
my wifes 2012 E class estate was supplied with the three cables and the i phone didnt work - well it charged but didnt play
they then exchanged the three cables for one cable - apparently they supplied the old version in error
this was with command so not sure if you will encounter this
nevertheless cables need to be the correct type and they vary
I think the cables are quite expensive if you have to buy them - the pack of three are approx £80 i think..
(it all works fine now)

cables i can sort, but i don't seem to have anything to plug them into?

Media Interface was IIRC an option with the Audio 20. I think that leaves you with an audio aux socket (3.5mm jack) somewhere...

own fault for thinking it was standard like the beemer.

suggest you post a pic of the connection points
when i get home i'll put up a pic of the 2012 set and can also put up a pic of 2010 set ( not sure if this helps or adds to the confusion )
might help? if nothing else you can talk with your dealer with some examples to hand..

Thanks for the offer Mika, but as i said i have one 3.5mm AUX jack in the centre console/storage box and NO other connectors in the storage box or glove box.

So, it would seem i am stuffed.

Congratulations on the new car. Media interface is only possible/available starting with audio 20 with the 6 disc changer. It's not possible with the Single disc Audio 20 version.

Yes and No!

You can still use an MP3 through the 3.5mm jack but will not get the added control functions I assume the USB port should give.

TBH it's not a problem, I keep an iPod Touch tossed permanently in the centre console with me tunes on it and don't find it a problem using the device for control.

At least your jack is already in the centre console, mines in the Glovebox so I had to route an extension male-male cable from there to the centre console.

Congratulations on the new car. Media interface is only possible/available starting with audio 20 with the 6 disc changer. It's not possible with the Single disc Audio 20 version.

Well...I'm pretty sure my MY 2011 is single disc (it took me a while to figure out where the multi-changer on previous 211 was i'm ashamed to admit). And I know it has media interface for ipod as well as the usb. In the glove box, being 2011.

There are some posts in the electronics section from a business called Command online. They'll tell you what you have to do to get the ipod interface plugged in...
Ash

Bluetooth Audio Receiver

My 2010 E-Class has Audio 50 with the media interface, the stereo doesn't support Bluetooth Audio so I purchased a small bluetooth music receiver from Amazon along with an equally small headphone amp - hooked them together and plugged the ickle amp into the 3.5mm Aux port (of the media pack, in the glove box ) and I now have streaming bluetooth from my iphone, the iphone also still connects up as normal to the cars bluetooth for phone calls. Total cost of parts was just over £45 and both charge via a dual port usb - fag lighter adaptor which connects up in the glove box. The headphone amp just gives that extra boost as the aux port must be set quite low to avoid damage. Will post more details of the parts if anyone is interested.

Bluetooth Audio Receiver

Will post more details of the parts if anyone is interested.

Just purchased a 2010 E 220 which has the aux port in the glove compartment and Audio 20 interface. Would appreciate info about the bluetooth receiver and headphone amp. I understand your post was a few years ago and the kit would have changed, but it would give me a starting point. Many thanks.

This is outstanding

Anker SoundSync Drive Bluetooth car handsfree receiver, for cars with AUX input (3.5mm) compatible with iPhone, Samsung, LG, HTC and all other Bluetooth devices. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0177T3OEU/?tag=amazon0e9db-21
Blimey you really dug up an old thread but above is the answer to your question.
Just purchased a 2010 E 220 which has the aux port in the glove compartment and Audio 20 interface. Would appreciate info about the bluetooth receiver and headphone amp. I understand your post was a few years ago and the kit would have changed, but it would give me a starting point. Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom