New E-Class windscreen chips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Silver Bullit

Car
E270 CDI
I`ve just noticed several chips (one very large) on the screen of my month old, 3,000 mile E-Class.

Now, this may be just bad luck but these are the only chips I`ve picked up over the last five years/150,000 miles. Have any of you guys had any similar problems or have I just been in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Silver Bullit said:
I`ve just noticed several chips (one very large) on the screen of my month old, 3,000 mile E-Class.

Now, this may be just bad luck but these are the only chips I`ve picked up over the last five years/150,000 miles. Have any of you guys had any similar problems or have I just been in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Yes Iv'e got one on mine, but fortunately it's not big enough to worry about and it is on the passenger side. :crazy:

I've got one too on the passenger side, it was a large stone from a lorry that hit it.

AUTOGLASS and I am sure others can remove them cheaply - I think free if you have windscreen insurance - they fill them with ultra violet cured resin. Completely invisible. Marvellous.

Last edited:
Silver Bullit said:

Always worse this time of year but I think it is really just a matter of where you drive and pure luck. After many years of problem free motoring all of a sudden I lost three windscreens down to bad stone chips in one year! But if you think we have problems go drive somewhere really cold where they use grit, not salt, on the roads. Fine when snowy, but when it melts cars get a real hammering from stone chips.

This why in winter months you often see in Northern Europe, Northern US states & Canada those horrible black plastic protectors which fit over the frontal area of the car plus light protectors in use. Windscreen stone chips are just accepted as a fact of life and many just get resin filled at auto shops on a while u wait basis.

My cousin in Canada reckons that as with most things in life connected with cars, women or money, if you worry about it you will die. If you do not worry, you will also die. So why worry at all?

I picked up a chip in my windscreen the day the car was delivered, and it developed into a 12 inch long crack by the time I got home ! The car was in autoglass 2 days later for a new screen....

Have you had any problems since the screen was fitted? Or did they do a perfect job? I'd hate to have to get one through fear of them messing it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom