New e-class with widescreen cockpit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EnEm

Car
E-Class W213
Does anyone have any experience of this widescreen cockpit option in the latest e-class. I love the idea of it.

Not asking about the wonders of it, but the downsides (if any)?

Is it reliable?
Responsive? sluggish?
Bug free?
Rock solid?

My worry is if the underlying software is not up to the job. The particular reason for my question is that the widescreen cockpit is so fundamental to the workings of the car, so if it flakey in any way, the vehicle is "virtually" useless (pun intended ;))

Any real world experience appreciated.

Thanks as always
EnEm

PS Once bitten, twice shy: I had very serious software problems with my first e-class, which were eventually fixed but very irritating in a car that cost nearly £50k in 2003. I (now) know that this is known as a bad phase for Mercedes.

The car has been out for like a month, impossible to answer these questions yet. Early versions of all cars have faults/bugs. If your really worried, wait 6 months...

KillerHERTZ said:
If your really worried, wait 6 months...
Or, 2 years for a facelift with an electronics update.
I've seen this wide screen cockpit and I don't like it, especially when it's off and reminds me of induction hob. Dials somehow give life to the interior.

image-4228854161.jpg

Or, 2 years for a facelift with an electronics update.
I've seen this wide screen cockpit and I don't like it, especially when it's off and reminds me of induction hob. Dials somehow give life to the interior.

View attachment 59652

I can imagine that induction hob look!

Thanks both for the initial feedback... I think its been out since March, but seems like I am right fo wonder about this.

Does anyone have any experience of this widescreen cockpit option in the latest e-class. I love the idea of it.

Not asking about the wonders of it, but the downsides (if any)?

Is it reliable?
Responsive? sluggish?
Bug free?
Rock solid?
Is there any point ?

Just more complex gadgetry being loaded onto vehicles - much of which is certain to expensively fail at some point.

Hi all and thanks for the input.

Have now purchased this car, and very delighted with it. E220D, metalic paint, comand, and widescreen cockpit. That's all and I already love it. This is a March 2016 registered demonstrator with less that 5k miles on the clock.

But my fears about the electronics have proved well founded. On collecting the car, my first and only journey so far, after about 60 miles the Comand froze on me. Locked up in the middle of a call :rolleyes:. The call was dropped, the car position indicator triangle on the map screen froze, and the comand start button didn't work. Had just decided I would have to pull over and reboot the whole vehicle, when the comand rebooted itself and restarted.

The good news is that the speedometer was unaffected in the widescreen cockpit!

Apart from "I told you so" :) does any one have any thoughts...

EnEm

My E220D has been perfect with no faults what so ever, in 34,000 miles (yes, thousands)........

As it's such an early build, it probably has early software. I'd ask the dealer to update it. Most of them don't like doing it (most mechs understandably prefer fixing things with spanners than laptops), so you might have to politely insist the update the firmware.

The W205 had similar bugs with its trackpad and also comm module on early builds. Nothing that couldn't be fixed in software.

Good luck :thumb:

Last edited:
Duplicate post.

Yes, sorry. Wasn't sure where to post for a response. Posted in electronics and didnt get a reply, so added the problem to my original post here.

Thanks for main reply.

Last edited:
Yes, sorry. Wasn't sure where to post for a response. Posted in electronics and didnt get a reply, so added the problem to my original post here.

No, I meant my post was a duplicate - tried to edit but it posted a new one! Couldn't find a way to delete it.

The car has been out for Like a month,

Are you 12 Karl? :D.

Don't totally get this... but no, I am not "12 Karl".

Developer (AKA John) was referring to Karl's post (highlighted above) for the way he phrased the sentence i.e. 'Like a 12 year old would talk.

It was in no way aimed at you.

John was being sarcastic because we all know Karl is in fact 17. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom