New E Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I agree with the majority here, the new E coupe is a great looking car, the return to elegance that made the 211 nice IMO.

Not keem on the fake engine note but at least the E300 doesn't have fake exhaust pipes!!

Thanks for all the replies on this! :)

mercedes-e-300-coupe-2017-28_2.jpg

Last edited:
What are the engine lineups? 4 cylinder diesel/petrol variants and the jump to V6/V8 AMG?

I agree with the majority here, the new E coupe is a great looking car, the return to elegance that made the 211 nice IMO.

Not keem on the fake engine note but at least the E300 doesn't have fake exhaust pipes!!

Thanks for all the replies on this! :)

mercedes-e-300-coupe-2017-28_2.jpg
I found the 212 an ugly coupe but that one is lovely.

Yes, i would be very tempted to exchange the CL for one :) They have quite a few at Brooklands and my CL colour Cavansite Blue looks great on the Coupe :cool:

Saw the review on the AMG E53 4Matic which was not bad. 429bhp 3.0-litre straight six :( The Top Gear review is interesting. The problem is i only do V8's

Apart from that awesome sound, V8s are becoming dinosaurs (sadly).

They are properly platformed now which is a good thing, but try and tell them apart from a C class Coupe (side rear windows excepted). They also all now look like they should have VW badges on them, just blend into insignificance.

Computer and wind tunnels.....pull the badges off the lot and line them up (like for like) - only the enthusiasts will know the difference.......

I think the 300 is a nice middle ground in the range. It’s now quite a big jump into the 450 or 400d too. Personally I actually prefer the 220d engine in the E Class, but if you’re after petrol the 300 is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do i , T rex the best, bigger the better. :D
Me too - but they will disappear - when a manufacturer can get the same sort of power from a smaller lighter engine (also makes for better handling) ....

I've owned two V8s in my life - one was the Dodge 5.7L Hemi engine - what a glorious sound that beast made!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you live in town do think really hard about the 220d, it's silky smooth and the low down torque provides lots of shove and when you won't to slink around in cruising mode it encourages easy motoring. I took my wifes Cab to Bavaria this weekend. I came back on a clear motorway with the cruise set at 135 kph (84 mph) which shows as 80 mph according to my phone's GPS. Averaged 52.2 mpg and it is not a flat route by any means. The engine is whisper quiet even with the top down so would expect it to be even quieter in the coupe?

Whatever you do , you MUST specify COMMAND and WIDESCREEN; the car just looks utterly plain inside without it - but we had to wait 6 months for a build slot with this spec. Also remember due to MB UK bizarre specification choices if you want two tone leather (only available as Nappa you have to order the comfort pack which means you also get air suspension and a throat chokingly awful air-freshener system which uses up all the space in the already small glovebox.

I was given a new E220d cab when my C200 coupe went in a few months ago and it was very nice. I have experience with a C220d, not sure if the latest E220d has a newer, updated engine but it definitely seemed quieter and the cabin was a lot more insulated than my C class, even though it was a cab. The widescreen was great, it really made the interior, I cant imagine it would be quite the same without it.
I found when driving around town the engine would occasionally vibrate and resonate throughout the cabin at lower speeds though, could've been that particular car though.

If it were me buying, I would probably go for the E300. In regard to the 'sports exhaust' my C200 also has it but I've never understood what difference it makes. It's a bit noisier than your standard petrol on a cold start but after that, it's pretty much whisper quiet. Maybe its different in the x300 models.

I was given a new E220d cab when my C200 coupe went in a few months ago and it was very nice. I have experience with a C220d, not sure if the latest E220d has a newer, updated engine but it definitely seemed quieter and the cabin was a lot more insulated than my C class, even though it was a cab. The widescreen was great, it really made the interior, I cant imagine it would be quite the same without it.

Yes the E class has the new 2.0d (OM654) unit which has now migrated into the C Class after the last facelift. We did look at an E300 petrol but on paper the fuel economy and emissions (in comparison to the diesel) put us off and the fact that we do enough long journeys to not be worried about DPF issues. I was slightly worried that a diesel convertible would not sound right, but apart from the first couple of minutes from cold with the top down, you genuinely would never know it was a diesel. The convertible is very quiet with the top up , so I can only imagine how good this engine is in a properly "roofed" car - guess i'll find out tomorrow when I collect my estate:D:D

Hi All!

Just came back from looking at the new E Coupe at Mllton Keynes.

What a lovely car! I think I've found a car I like more than the CLS that I was so crazy about a few years ago!

Just wondering, does anyone here have one? I'm thinking specifically about the E300 petrol. Is the engine nice enough for this car?

My time with the SLC (and SLKs before it) is coming to an end soon and I think the E Coupe just might fit the bill and..... most importantly, SWMBO LOVES it! :)
Hey Bpsorrel,

Have you decided ?

Not yet, but I'm erring towards the 300 petrol... :)

Hi there
Just bought my first ever Mercedes last week - E53 Coupe in Obsidian - so am new to MB and the MB Club....
Owned all sorts over past 15-20 years. 911s, Ms and most recently a RS6 Performance, and after 1 week’s limited use of the E53, I’m totally impressed. It’s a class act all ‘round.

I think this is the best looking Mercedes coupe since the clk. The e220d is great engine, my wife has the estate version and it is a superb on fuel and quick enough in the real world.

The E class coupe is amazing right now, my friend recently got one and it is sublime!
I actually made a wee video car tour on his E300 Coupe if anyone wants to see it?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom