New E (W212) owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

Car
W212 E220 CDI SE
Quick intro...

After going through many makes, the need for the very best motorway cruiser I could justify led me to a new E220 CDI. Previously used an Accord, which was excellent, for the 160 mile round trip to work, but the E requires even less effort to get to work and back.

Quite familiar with car forums - I set up and own the Honda Civic site Civinfo.

Look forward to contributing here, once the inevitable happens and I can't resist the temptation to dismantle the car and start "improving". ;)

e220_5.jpg

Hi the mate and welcome to the forum

Thanks - if the estate is anything like the saloon, you should be really satisfied. The car is so solid, quiet and precise. And oddly, the 220 seems really quick. The 250 felt marginally quicker (but I didn't think I'd use the extra very often at all) and the 200 was pretty awful (rattly, slow and noisy).

I tried a manual, but whilst it was quite a nice 'box and clutch, the pedals were offset and the hand/foot brake would be a real bore in traffic.

Looks nice, good choice of engine, more refined and less stressed than the 250cdi so very wise. A 200 would be a gutless woefully slow thing.

Yes, worth avoiding since it spoils the rest of the car.

Guess I ought to post the obligatory mpg pic:

e220_mpg_58.jpg

very good considering its so new. decent average speed too. have you tried brim to brim to check how accurate the mpg is?

That mpg was done on the dealer demo car (also a E220 CDI SE) and it only had 700 miles on it at the time.

I'm still running mine in (so not an economical driving technique); I'll report back on real figures and computer accuracy in a month or so.

tenorite grey is a nice colour

tenorite grey is a nice colour

Yep - I really wanted tenorite - luckily the dealer had a new one on it's way. Only had to wait for a couple of days for it to arrive.

Looks a bit unfashionable on the 16" wheels and 15mm higher "comfort" suspension - but this setup gave the best result for what I wanted (tried other combos but just found the bigger wheels and lower suspension detracted from the ride quality).

e220_8.jpg

e220_4.jpg

e220_3.jpg

e220_2.jpg

e220_1.jpg

bet the car is very comfy over nasty roads ..

black interior?

It is, but it retains the precision of the other cars. It really firms up as you start going for it. And yes, black inside. :)

Hi Pottsy - welcome to the clan....

Comfort suspension works well with 17s and 18s too (my W211 is comfort setup...).

Suggestion for first mod - get them badges off the back!

I'll boil the kettle tomorrow morning.

Debadged looks nice! :) The more I see these, the more I like them. Could be a 212 estate in my drive in the not too distant future.. :)

Heh - my Jedi Mind Tricks work!

Mercedes seem to make the back of all their cars symmetrical (two reverse lights, two fog light spaces even if only one lamp) and it always looks wrong to me to have the model badges.

Those that want to know what it is, know from the clues on the car, those who don't just live in awe of the three pointed star in the middle.

Now, let me see if it still works.. these are the wheels you're looking for (click on the 19" xylo....)

Last edited:
Hi,Certainly head turners aint they.

CAMBRIDGE(shire) GTG this Saturday (21st)

Debadged looks nice! :) The more I see these, the more I like them. Could be a 212 estate in my drive in the not too distant future.. :)

I have just come on to this thread and was thinking exactly the same thing!

Whether Pottsy has a particular flair for photographing W212's, I don't know. But as you say - it looks very well indeed, and I find myself really warming to the idea. The badge-less look somehow really makes a difference. :thumb:

Funnily though, I wasn't overly impressed when I went to the launch at the local stealers. Obviously my perspective is changing - in a favourable direction!

Well done, Pottsy. Enjoy your lovely motor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom