New E (W212) owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh, forgot to say, I also went for the telephone pre-wire and the Mercedes Bluetooth SAP V3 module, so here's a bit about the module.

The old car only had the Nokia interface, but I found a very good solution. Orange (UK) do something called "Single Number" which costs £3/mo extra on your tariff it only operates with standard tariffs though. Orange is the only UK supplier to offer this feature and it works with data services too and is totally automatic, unlike the old Vodafone Dual-SIM which has been removed from sale. Orange Single Number is a dual-SIM system, my primary phone is a Blackberry Bold and the second SIM lives in the car, incoming calls are automatically directed to the Blackberry, unless the car is switched on and then the calls go to the car (First Call route to the secondary SIM, the primary lives in your portable phone). The outbound Calling Line Presentation (CLIP) Number is displayed on outbound calls from both phones, but text messages don't display CLIP, the display Network CLID so Text message numnber display is correct for the primary SIM only, but this is not actually an issue (see below)

Now the new car with the SAP module you pair as normal with the Blackberry and do your phonebook synchronisation and then you insert SIM 2 into the SAP module.

Here are the advantages:

1. No messing about with plugging and unplugging a phone each time you get in the car, its all automatic
2. The MB SAP V3 module includes a USB charging port to charge your phone
3. E-mails still arrive at the Blackberry, with SAP the BB cannot be used as all control of the SIM card is passed to the car.
The SAP V3 module has a very good and powerful radio section, designed and optimised for moving vehicles rather than good battery life requirements of a portable phone.
4. If you remove the SIM card, the SAP V3 module reverts to Bluetooth SAP
5. If you forget your phone, you can still make and receive calls.

Things to be aware of:
1. SAP V3 module supports call waiting, but not call hold or 3-way calling (unlike the old Nokia solution in the earlier W211 cars)
2. There is no handset feature on the current SAP V3 module.
3. You cannot send text messages from the car any more
4. It does not display MWI (Voicemail Message Waiting Indication). It shows this as a blank text.
5. The car only stores about half a dozen incoming text messages before the memory is full (why?). Incoming text messages on the Orange Single Number service are not supported to the secondary SIM using your original number.
6. Ths SAP BT module is GSM only, not 3G.

All in all the SAP V3 module is a very good solution, remember that SAP (SIM Access Profile) enables the use of the car phone as a car phone which offers the best reception and general audio performance. SAP is supported on recent Blackberry's but not as yet on the iPhone.

Wish they had a version with a handset though.

Justin.

Dear Pottesy,

I know what you mean about the left leg, the W211 was the same, so I guess i just got used to it, actually the transmission tunnel gets warm so there is a nice left leg heater in the winter! I think I must have a Mercedes shaped back by now, I find the car very comfortable and the seats are certainly an improvement with a softer feel.

I had a look at my drivers seat positioning (I have memory seats) and they are identical on both sides.. I can see from your pictures that they are not on your car, so it seems there is possibly a special RHD drivers seat mount or seat itself, but perhaps that does not extend to the memory seat option? Anyone else see this "feature"

Would that mean that I am further away from the action in a side impact? ;-)

Justin.

Still waiting patiently for my E350. 4 weeks to go on Monday :)

Although the dealer did say some deliveries were getting put back and some moved forward slightly, so hope mine is not moved back!

Should have ordered..... Logic 7,

If you're missing the sub, grab yourself an aftermarket one, now they've integrated everything back into the dash unit where it belongs it should be an easier fit. My W211 original sub is now disconnected in favour of a very basic Vibe Slik 12 and amp - much nicer sounding.

Perhaps a silly question but on the auto models (w212) does the drivers mat have a section to protect the left foot rest?
I think I have been given the wrong mats...

Perhaps a silly question but on the auto models (w212) does the drivers mat have a section to protect the left foot rest?
I think I have been given the wrong mats...

You have the correct mats, there is no section for the foot rest.

Justin.

I must debadge! I cant do it myself though. Knowing my luck I am bound to mess something up. Can anyone recommed someplace I can take the car to to have it debadged? I live in West Thurrock, Essex

Pappilo - you can do it! Boil the kettle and let it stand for a couple of minutes. Pour the water slowly over the badge. Pick the badge away with your fingers - the glue pad will be nice and soft. If it's too well stuck, pour some more. The badge will easily come off in your hand.

I have now, after 56,000 miles, sold this car.

A couple of thousand miles ago the gearbox started playing up. It would randomly not lock up, and then when it did it did so with an almighty bang much like someone hitting the rear of the car with a sledgehammer. The dealer topped up the ATF, gave me a software update, and then advised to continue until it broke properly. :doh:

I continued until I had had enough. Also, the latest software made my engine sound more like a machine gun that it ever had before.

My shortlist for replacement boiled down to a new E350, or a new 3.0 XF. The Jag is lovely, £3k cheaper (spec for spec) than the E350 before discount, £8k cheaper after discount, and £10K cheaper when offers for my p/x are considered.

My visit to the Merc dealer was dreadful too. Firstly no one would come and talk to me when the receptionist called over to the 3 salesmen who were all busy on their computers (no other customers). In the end, one begrudgingly came over and started by valuing my car at £11.5k. I asked if they had an E350 demonstrator and he just said "yes, I think we do". I mentioned that other marques are offering some pretty enticing discounts and incentives and asked if MB were doing anything similar. He politely said that "MB do not need to discount in order to sell their cars" and turned and moved towards the door with a "will that be all, sir?".

:rolleyes:

It was at that moment I imagined where I would like to shove the nose of my E220, and decided to buy the XF.

Economy graphs:

e220mpgfinal2.png

This graph is a plot overlaid with the average temperature in Oxford (from the met office).

e220mpgfinal1.png

And finally, the XF. 3.0 Premium Luxury with a few factory extras:

jag1.jpg

jag2.jpg

jag3.jpg

jag5.jpg

jag6.jpg

Well done, that Jag looks sublime. The XF S was on my shortlist, but I wanted an estate in the end.

Real shame that you got bad service in your MB dealership, I'd have done exactly the same thing.

I think you're the third person in a week that's jumped ship and bought an XF and I'm giving them a serious thought too.

Those interiors look fantastic.

Real shame that you got bad service in your MB dealership, I'd have done exactly the same thing.

Yes, they clearly didn't want my E220, didn't want me to drive an E350 and didn't want me in there at such an inconvenient time. I even asked if the salesman that sold me the car (just 2 years ago) was still there and got the rather abrupt reply "never even heard of him".

On the other hand, the Jag dealer just couldn't do enough to help me.

I realise I am taking a bit of a reliability risk with the Jag, but I also have a MY12 Disco 4 (same engine and 'box) and to our amazement nothing has gone wrong at all in 4 months and 6,000 miles. Which, for a JLR product, is quite good!

We shall see.

Last edited:
I think you're the third person in a week that's jumped ship and bought an XF and I'm giving them a serious thought too.

Those interiors look fantastic.

To be fair, one is never better at everything than the other.

The Jag has a very upmarket, well screwed together feeling. Much nicer than the Merc. But, the speedo is not as nice, and the colour display between the speedo and tacho is a little bit Fisher Price compared to the rather more "professional" look of the Merc. I also dislike having the heated seat controls on the satnav touch screen. But overall, I'd have the Jag for look and feel, both inside and out.

The engine and box are brilliant too - but I can only compare to a MY10 E350 since I never got to drive the MY12. The Jag suspension is very good, but at low speed I prefer the E.

If the two were the same price, it would be a tough one and I think I would just prefer the Jag. With a £10k difference, no real thought was required.

I realise I am taking a bit of a reliability risk with the Jag, but I also have a MY12 Disco 4 (same engine and 'box) and to our amazement nothing has gone wrong at all in 4 months and 6,000 miles. Which, for a JLR product, is quite good!

We shall see.
With that level of expectation, you can't go wrong!

To be fair, one is never better at everything than the other.

The Jag has a very upmarket, well screwed together feeling. Much nicer than the Merc. But, the speedo is not as nice, and the colour display between the speedo and tacho is a little bit Fisher Price compared to the rather more "professional" look of the Merc. I also dislike having the heated seat controls on the satnav touch screen. But overall, I'd have the Jag for look and feel, both inside and out.

The engine and box are brilliant too - but I can only compare to a MY10 E350 since I never got to drive the MY12. The Jag suspension is very good, but at low speed I prefer the E.

If the two were the same price, it would be a tough one and I think I would just prefer the Jag. With a £10k difference, no real thought was required.
I'm now on to my fifth W211 (and the best I've owned by a mile) yet I think I need a break from Mercedes and the XF offers that.

A 5-Series is out of the question, which leaves an A8 or an XF and I've got to say that at the moment the XF is certainly looking more attractive by the day.

My only problem is that my budget would be about £15k so my choice could be limited somewhat, whereas with the A8 there are plenty about.

I don't really see Audi's as being much of a head-turner (well, except for the R8). The previous look was too bland, and the new look is all LED and angry looking.

The XF is a car that I'd always feel proud of walking up to in a car park. That's the measure of a car for me, something I'd feel proud to be seen owning.

I still get a buzz out of seeing my car reflected in shop windows.

I don't really see Audi's as being much of a head-turner (well, except for the R8). The previous look was too bland, and the new look is all LED and angry looking.

The XF is a car that I'd always feel proud of walking up to in a car park. That's the measure of a car for me, something I'd feel proud to be seen owning.

I still get a buzz out of seeing my car reflected in shop windows.
There is a car showroom near me with a long glass front and I have a drive past every now & again to remind me how good looking my car is...

The main reason for me looking at the A8 is so that I can own the twin turbo V8 diesel. I've drove one a while ago and it was awesome.

I know what you mean about that feeling you get when you walk away from your car and have a little look back, just to see how good it looks.

and of course the XF is built in the UK :)

A good proportion of the xfs I see have faulty led tail lamps, and I am not yet convinced they are a good long term prospect. I know what you mean about dealers though, I am certain I get good service due to the service manager living on my street, and me being known for my honesty when I write to commend or reprimand my dealer to the head offices. Local ford dealer is a pain, but for me Mercedes hits the spot for both the hardware and the customer experience, as does Nissan and Volvo where I live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom