New E (W212) owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A good proportion of the xfs I see have faulty led tail lamps,

there's one round where I live .. looks terrible with the missing LEDs

Thanks pottsy for very informative update on your Merc, I considered the Jag when I was selling my E Coupe, but then along came the new CLS and I was smitten. Will you please keep MB Club updated with your longer term experience of the Jag ownership - Thanks

Thanks pottsy for very informative update on your Merc, I considered the Jag when I was selling my E Coupe, but then along came the new CLS and I was smitten. Will you please keep MB Club updated with your longer term experience of the Jag ownership - Thanks

Will do - the reason I posted here was for the possible benefit of anyone here who is vaguely considering something that is a competitor to certain Mercs.

If it is a reliability nightmare, I'll post it up!

You need to change your signature, avatar, and profile now! :)

Over the years I have had good and bad experiences of Merc dealerships when interested in new cars.

Last time I bought a new one I found after I tested the car and decided I wanted one, the salesman at Tony Purslow Basingstoke did not return my calls (this on a £36k car in 2001!)

Rather than go for a different marque, I went to different dealership where they were pleased to see me and ordered the car from them.

I agree one shouldn't need to do this, but it is easy round here where there are several dealerships fairly close.

I guess if MB salespeople have a commision cap and they hit it, then they don't see any need to put any effort into selling anything more.

OK, here's an 8000 mile update.

The good:

The engine is utterly amazing - silent, smooth and powerful.
I get an indicated 60 mpg on the motorway, but in reality it's 55 mpg (the computer over-reads).
The 8 speed ZF gearbox is perfect.
The perceived quality is spot on. No rattles, just solid.
In short, I love it!

The bad:

It has had to go back for an odd whine in the rear of the car. This was fixed - it was an electrical choke that needed wrapping up to keep it quiet. While it was in, I had an XF 2.2 which was nasty - the gearbox kept the engine revs too low, and it is a noisy, rattly old lump.

The ride is too firm. The XFS is better (fancy dampers) but my suspension was just too hard. It's a common complaint, and Jag tuning company Spires do a suspension kit, which solved the problem.

It's a great car, so long as you get the 3.0, don't mind the ride, or budget in the Spires kit.

A good proportion of the xfs I see have faulty led tail lamps, and I am not yet convinced they are a good long term prospect.

This was caused by corrosion on the PCB in the older rear lights. The dealer network initially just changed the rear lights FOC when the cars came in, but then Jag put out a recall.

As with most JLR products, the older ones were a but suspect, but the newer ones seem to be ok.

BBC News - Jaguar wins key ownership award

OK, here's an 8000 mile update.

The good:

The engine is utterly amazing - silent, smooth and powerful.
I get an indicated 60 mpg on the motorway, but in reality it's 55 mpg (the computer over-reads).
The 8 speed ZF gearbox is perfect.
The perceived quality is spot on. No rattles, just solid.
In short, I love it!

The bad:

It has had to go back for an odd whine in the rear of the car. This was fixed - it was an electrical choke that needed wrapping up to keep it quiet. While it was in, I had an XF 2.2 which was nasty - the gearbox kept the engine revs too low, and it is a noisy, rattly old lump.

The ride is too firm. The XFS is better (fancy dampers) but my suspension was just too hard. It's a common complaint, and Jag tuning company Spires do a suspension kit, which solved the problem.

It's a great car, so long as you get the 3.0, don't mind the ride, or budget in the Spires kit.

Interesting as I got some which reports that gave the XF a bit of a pasting.

I believe the chassis is very torsionally rigid which makes the basis for a nice driving car.

I do like the cars, don't normally like Jags but the XF I would consider.

As an aside, anyone looking for an XF might consider going to the XF forums. Sadly this is a massively over-censored car forum and so a group of us set up Jaginfo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom