New E350 - 9G Gearbox - Late Changing/5th Max

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz76

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 AMG Night Edition Premium Plus Saloon
Car details in signature. Only had the car two weeks and only put 600 miles on it so far, and very happy. Upgraded from a fully loaded 2010 E350. This car is a big improvement over that one.

Experienced something odd today.

Set off from a car park and it held in 1st gear for a long time - changing at about 3000rpm. Similar delays changing through the gears. It is usually VERY quick through the gears and changes at 1000-1500rpm getting into 5th by 30mph and 6th by 40mph. Very quickly got on motorway to head where I was going (I was parked just off the motorway) and up to 70mph but car wouldn't go beyond 5th gear. It is usually in 9th by 70mph. Tried kick down and it wouldn't kick down - didn't want to try too hard as still breaking engine in. Slowed and got it to drop to 4th, and speeded up again but maxed at 5th at 70mph again. I wouldn't say it lacked or lost power, it just wouldn't go through the gears as quickly as usual or as high a gear as usual - it still reached 70 with ease.

Any way, pulled onto hard shoulder and turned engine off, waited a few seconds and turned back on. Set off and all well and back to normal immediately - up to 70 and in 9th. Slowed down and tried kick down, and it dropped a gear and powered forward. All normal.

What I did notice before we parked up was a strange smell when I got out - the exact same smell I used to get in the old car (which was perfectly normal) when it was going through the motions of cleaning the DPF. I am therefore wondering if in this car/gearbox combination it restricts gearing to heat the exhaust gasses up more than usual to clean the DPF.

In my old E350, if the DPF cleaning mode was active and you turned the engine off and on it would halt that process and return to normal. Which makes me think this was a DPF clean cycle as it was back to normal after an engine off/on.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

I am working on the assumption that all is back to normal now an this was either a glitch or an oddity of the DPF cleaning process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom