New E53 delayed, spec reduced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bagsofsmoke

Car
W213 E63S Estate (2019)
I placed an order for a new E53 Premium Plus Night Edition estate back in May, and was given an estimated delivery date of August 24. Since then, the Mercedes dealership, despite promising regular updates, haven't once emailed or called off their own bat - they've only ever provided updates after I've emailed to ask for them. The production and delivery dates have slipped multiple times. I spoke to the dealership 10 days ago and he assured me it would enter production on 10th September, and promised to call me with an update that day to confirm it had indeed entered production. Nothing heard. I emailed him and he responded the next day to say that it had been delayed again, with a new production date of 24th September and delivery date of 26th October. While this is clearly rubbish, to rub salt in the wound, he said that due to the global semiconductor shortage, Mercedes have adjusted the spec of the car I ordered and it will no longer have the following items:

- Augmented Nav
- Dashcam
- Energising Comfort
- Hands Free Access
- 12.3” Digital IC
- Multibeam LED Headlights

I'm not too fussed about the first four but the last two are pretty irritating.

The only recompense they're willing to offer is a 2 year service care plan.

I am pretty p*ssed off to be honest, not least because my current car is not ULEZ compliant so from the 24th October, it will cost me £12.50 every time I want to drive my car. The original delivery date was obviously well before that, but it's not afterwards, and given the delivery date has slipped multiple (five and counting...) times already (from the end of August to the end of October, so a whole two months), I have little confidence I'll actually see the car on the 24th October.

So I'm in a bit of a quandary - do I cancel the order and buy second hand (I could get a well specced E63S estate for the same price, second-hand, albeit it'll munch petrol and cost me much more to tax and insure), or do I just bite my lip and hold on? I'm also concerned that despite charging me the same price for the car, it'll be worth less second hand when I come to sell it as it'll be one of the lower specced models from mid-2021. And my current car is going to get very expensive to operate very soon. For the record, I'm buying the E53 on a PCP deal and part exchanging my Audi. I expect to pay off the balance of the finance next year and own the car outright. There's not much inventory in the second hand market in terms of fast, large, petrol-engined estates in the c.£70k bracket, so that's another issue. I don't want another diesel, as much as I love my 3.0l TDI Audi A4 Avant. I'm pretty disappointed by Mercedes too - the service has been absolutely shocking so far, which doesn't bode well. This is the first car I've ordered (only ever bought low mileage cars second hand before), and the whole experience has been pretty underwhelming.

Advice welcome, cheers!

I'd have a look around at other dealers and see if they can get you the spec you want. If they can then cancel the order and go elsewhere. You may be able to get an ex demo with the kit on for less

If an E63S estate is something you really want, I'd go for one of those.

These cars with these engines won't be around forever and nor will we!

Enjoy it whilst you can.

Sounds like your dealer is shyte from the commitment to updates but no updates provided.

It would always annoy me that the options had been removed which I had chosen and you've basically been shown two fingers as compensation.

Yet another sign pointing to a shyte dealer!

I'd want a reduction in the cost of the car or cancel the order all together. Mb are passing off their higher costs to the customer. While prices may have to be adjusted going forward I think they should honour existing orders or reimburse for the things they promise but can't deliver. Moving the goal posts after the order has been placed is very poor imo.

I'd have a look around at other dealers and see if they can get you the spec you want. If they can then cancel the order and go elsewhere. You may be able to get an ex demo with the kit on for less
Only issue with that is that it would reset the clock so I’d be looking at a delivery date sometime next year.
And it’s a Mercedes / Daimler decision to re-spec the whole E-class line so those options just aren’t available anymore. Going to another dealer wouldn’t fix that. They might potentially reintroduce them but it’ll be at least a year I imagine until they manage to source sufficient semiconductors.

I'd want a reduction in the cost of the car or cancel the order all together. Mb are passing off their higher costs to the customer. While prices may have to be adjusted going forward I think they should honour existing orders or reimburse for the things they promise but can't deliver. Moving the goal posts after the order has been placed is very poor imo.
I agree. It’s a bit of a piss take to enter into a contract and then completely change the terms before fulfilment. Realistically, how much do you think a two year service plan is worth? Surely not much right given it’ll just be an oil change etc (I.e. very minor maintenance given it’s newness)?

If an E63S estate is something you really want, I'd go for one of those.

These cars with these engines won't be around forever and nor will we!

Enjoy it whilst you can.

Sounds like your dealer is shyte from the commitment to updates but no updates provided.

It would always annoy me that the options had been removed which I had chosen and you've basically been shown two fingers as compensation.

Yet another sign pointing to a shyte dealer!
The thing that slightly put me off the E63 is (a) the stiffer suspension (a crashy ride isn’t ideal on crap British roads with two kids and a dog in the back) and (b) the performance isn’t really usable in this country (legally). And then the running costs are much higher. I’d love to own one though, but it feels like a much less sensible choice. You’re right though, V8s are a dying breed! 😭

I’ve had a look around an E53 estates are like rocking horse sh*t! Impossible to find.

The thing that slightly put me off the E63 is (a) the stiffer suspension (a crashy ride isn’t ideal on crap British roads with two kids and a dog in the back) and (b) the performance isn’t really usable in this country (legally). And then the running costs are much higher. I’d love to own one though, but it feels like a much less sensible choice. You’re right though, V8s are a dying breed! 😭

I think if you are already feeling that way about the E63 the situation is unlikely to endear you more in the future!

I'm not interested in AMG as a proposition for my own car (apart from just the trim level!) either though so I do get it.

Sounds like you might have to suck it up or threaten a cancellation unless they more-fairly recompense you for the lost options (which are not through any fault of your own) and then decide what that would need to be.

I presumed your current steed was an E53 going on your stated car in your profile info (below your avatar) and you are moving to a newer one - but have you stated it is an E53 because it will be and if so, what is your current steed out of interest?

Sadly, your predicament isn't unique, which is why second-hand car prices are at an all-time high. Some members on here reported that they can now get for their cars more than they paid for them one or two years ago....

I've recently been in the market for a new EV, almost all manufacturers quoted "20-24 weeks delivery" (apart for Tesla, which I didn't want).

My main worry was that the delivery date will get pushed back, and options removed (which is precisely what happened to your order).

When booking various test drives, one dealer said they had one car of the model I wanted in stock, and so I was there the next day and signed on the dotted line...

But in your circumstances, I would definitely opt for a second-hand car (with all the goodies). I don't think that the microchips shortage and production issues are going to get any better any time soon.

Last edited:
I think if you are already feeling that way about the E63 the situation is unlikely to endear you more in the future!

I'm not interested in AMG as a proposition for my own car (apart from just the trim level!) either though so I do get it.

Sounds like you might have to suck it up or threaten a cancellation unless they more-fairly recompense you for the lost options (which are not through any fault of your own) and then decide what that would need to be.

I presumed your current steed was an E53 going on your stated car in your profile info (below your avatar) and you are moving to a newer one - but have you stated it is an E53 because it will be and if so, what is your current steed out of interest?
Yes I put E53 as I ordered it in May. Current car is an Audi A4 Avant 3.0l TDI. Need something bigger and opted for the E53 over an Audi A6 55 TFSI or BMW 540i as it’s significantly quicker and more fun in the rare instances when I get to drive it without the family in tow!

In years to come, your E53 will be a "problem" child with the missing spec .. it's like going out to a fancy restaurant wearing shorts and flip flops

Personally I wouldn't accept any perks instead of the features I specced and looked forward to. A Service plan doesn't give me nice LED lights nor will a reduction in cost. The ONLY thing I would accept is a contractual obligation for them to retrofit those items which they cannot do nor is it financially viable.

- Augmented Nav
-- This is something that just cannot be retrofitted and something I'd want - no cost savings can get me that so that alone, for me, would be a reason to pass

- Dashcam
-- That's just an accessory which I believe will be retrofitted at delivery anyway, so yea - no bother. In fact, I find the Mercedes one pretty poor and I'd get something better anyway

- Energising Comfort
-- Assuming it doesn't affect ambient light, meh - I could go without

- Hands Free Access
-- A nice to have for sure, but not a deal breaker

- 12.3” Digital IC
-- Dealbreaker for me, cannot be retrofitted

- Multibeam LED Headlights
-- Dealbreaker for me, cannot be retrofitted

Go with the E63S :)

I tend to agree with all of the above, you will not be getting the car you wanted and once you do take delivery, you will always be thinking I should’ve had all the little extras that you had planned for.

Is taking delivery of it and selling it without even driving it an option ? the new owner can collect it from the MB dealer after buying it from you via a broker or even private sale by yourself.

The car market is a pretty nutty place at the moment. That of course will not help you with your ULEZ dilemma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom