New E63 Estate - Thoughts and Q's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swizzer2020

Car
E63
Hi All

Picked up a 2018 W213 E63 estate yesterday. Wow, what a monster this car is. As I read, the engine and sound totally dominates the experience. The noise is immense in gear under load in sport plus.

I am impressed with the design and features, coming from a current 5 series and this being my first Mercedes. Their design seems to be much more creative and the approach seems on many fronts to be from a difference angle, which is refreshing and interesting. The interior is fantastic as are the comfort seats. Masses of space in the rear.

The lift mode on the air suspension gives good ground clearance and my previous worries about clearing small bumps on gravel tracks are not a problem. A very useful feature.

My initial queries are:

1. How does one know if the car has the Adaptive High Beam Plus function - the one that maintains the high beam and blacks out other cars by turning off individual cars etc. I have the premium plus package, and the lights do a very fancy dance when turning the car on at night. Are there any settings for these lights or do you just leave them on auto all of the time?

2. Tyres and Road noise on 20's - wow it is noisy on rough surfaces, but quiet on smooth tarmac. I really would like to improve on this as I think it will drive me mad long term. The current tyres are Pirelli P Zero, they are marked with an MO1, but I cannot see a RFT or RSC mark. Are these OEM run flats, and therefore don't haver the usual RFT marker? If they are run flats I will change to non-run flats and get an inflation kit. If they are not I may have to go down to 19s. Are the Pirellis particularly noisy tyres?

3. There is a rattle from the rear seat / roller parcel shelf area when going over bumps. Is this common? Any other info on rattles? I will take it into the dealer to be fixed either way I think. I assume rattles would be fixed under warranty?

Thanks!

1 - You'll need a VIN decoder for that. There are links to them on this site. A quick search should help.
2 - E63's can come with different tyres as OEM. A move to 19's though expensive will give a better ride. Most people swear by the Michelin Pilot Sport variants. Continental is also good.
3 - Rattles are the bane of the C class and to a lesser extent the E class. It takes a good ear and a dedicated person to fine the true source of the rattle and fix it. Good luck in that.

Enjoy the motor. A few picture would go a long way...

My E63s comes with Pirelli Run Flats and they are dann loud. I got the 20s but it gives me a smooth ride. Just loud. So far no rattles for me. As for the high beam assist. Either Google a vin decoder or ask the dealer for an oasis report. It shows as option 628.

Screenshot_20200606-120042_Email.jpg

I thought Pirelli run flat tyres had the RSC mark on them ?
But if they aren't run flats, surely you would have an inflation kit in the spare wheel well ?

Ok, odd. So mine are Def. OEM and according to the Pirelli catalog MO1 are specific ultra performance tyres made specifically for AMG cars. Can't figure out if they are run flat but they have the typical run flat bulge hanging over the rim.

If your head lights are on auto, put main beam on and you'll see an A on the dash if I remember correctly

Or, just go drive it at night time, you'll see them in action.

You can also see the LED's perform some kind of test when you first turn on the ignition if its dark enough, they do some kind of left/right movement

Last edited:
Ok, odd. So mine are Def. OEM and according to the Pirelli catalog MO1 are specific ultra performance tyres made specifically for AMG cars. Can't figure out if they are run flat but they have the typical run flat bulge hanging over the rim.
Mine came with those, they're not run flat

Right. Dealer lier bloody lier lol. What annoys me a bit with those is when they are cold and you turn right corners, they are pushing slightly. Not really like those tires.

They're absolutely sh!te tyres, my car will 4 wheel slide coming onto a roundabout after the motorway if the road is damp, greasy and cold at 25 or so mph.
Ok when the temperature is warm though.

I've replaced the rear tyres on my car with Michelin PSS recently

Last edited:
From the manual

Screenshot_20200606-122114_Guides.jpg

Hi Guys

Thanks for the help.

I have options 628 Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus and 641 LED Intelligent Light System - high-performance headlamps, so I guess I have the full all singing all dancing headlights?

Thanks

Reactions: LTD
Thanks for the thoughts on tyres. My spec sheet says I have option B51 TIREFIT with tyre inflation compressor, but I cannot locate this under the boot floor. Is it hidden or missing?

I would be surprised if the current M01 P Zeros are not run flats, they certainly feel it!

Hi Guys

Thanks for the help.

I have options 628 Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus and 641 LED Intelligent Light System - high-performance headlamps, so I guess I have the full all singing all dancing headlights?

Thanks

Yes you do.

Thanks for the thoughts on tyres. My spec sheet says I have option B51 TIREFIT with tyre inflation compressor, but I cannot locate this under the boot floor. Is it hidden or missing?

I would be surprised if the current M01 P Zeros are not run flats, they certainly feel it!
Under the plastic cover where the basket is located

20200606_131347_compress76.jpg

Okay - another query - I hope there no problem in me jotting down thoughts etc here...

The wipers are quite sticky (jumping across the screen) when wiping the screen in partial dry/wet conditions. Any remedies?

Cracking car you have there. It seems like there has been a spate of 213 E63 purchases and enquiries lately. Keep them coming 👍

1. How does one know if the car has the Adaptive High Beam Plus function - the one that maintains the high beam and blacks out other cars by turning off individual cars etc. I have the premium plus package, and the lights do a very fancy dance when turning the car on at night. Are there any settings for these lights or do you just leave them on auto all of the time?
As Shaun touched on above, make sure you have the stalk pushed forward and the adaptive HighBeam system will do the clever stuff.

2. Tyres and Road noise on 20's - wow it is noisy on rough surfaces, but quiet on smooth tarmac. I really would like to improve on this as I think it will drive me mad long term. The current tyres are Pirelli P Zero, they are marked with an MO1, but I cannot see a RFT or RSC mark. Are these OEM run flats, and therefore don't haver the usual RFT marker? If they are run flats I will change to non-run flats and get an inflation kit. If they are not I may have to go down to 19s. Are the Pirellis particularly noisy tyres?
19's will improve the tyre noise, as I've mentioned on previous threads I didn't notice a noise issue until I put on some 19" winter wheels/tyres and it did make a difference. Not that the original 20's with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s' bother me anyway.

The wipers are quite sticky (jumping across the screen) when wiping the screen in partial dry/wet conditions. Any remedies?
It's possibly a sheen of whatever the windows were cleaned with last. This happens to mine just after I've cleaned the windscreen and applied some RainX, it stops after using the wipers for a little while. Maybe try cleaning the windscreen with a suitable cleaner. Are your blades in decent condition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom