New emission test rules?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leef44

Car
SLK 55 AMG, Suzuki Vitara
It's generally accepted that the economy test in NEDC does not reflect real road driving conditions and cannot be achieved in real life so you don't need a test to try to reflect that. The test can only be used as a benchmark against other cars.

So how about just have a test which measures the economy based on achieving the performance statistics. That is, when a car is measured for 0-60mph acceleration, max speed or max power and max torque, then the emissions are measured when these tests are done.

That way you have official figures of economy and performance to compare with.

Since these tests are done at the same time, if you cheat the system on MPG, the manufacturer will most likely end up with poor max. power or torque, or acceleration.

^ Good idea, it would be interesting to see how much horsepower and torque comes out of the emissions default programme on the affected VW's. Then at least we would know what's realistic to expect with standards set as they are. Heard recently the Mitsubishi hybrids that are supposed to achieve 140 mpg are nearer 40 when the battery's are recharging every hour although I cannot vouch for that.

I think the issued is that what we really want to know is how much emissions will there be when the car is driven on the road.

A 0-60 test is not characteristic of how the car will be driven once sold (with some exceptions obviously... :D ). Same goes for any test that measures the engine's maximum horsepower output at high rev.

The issue is not complicated... we know what we want to know, and the manufacturers know how to provide us with this info.

All that is needed is a better regulatory system that ensures that the tests are realistic and that the manufacturers don't cheat.....

It is very similar to the banking system crash of 2007/2008, the banks knew exactly what they should and shouldn't be doing, it was lack of adequate supervision combined with the temptation of easy gain that led them into doing what they did.

Would knowing the exact Nox influence buying attitudes? Probably not most people don't even know what nox is, most people buy on two reasons performance or economy Linked to brand loyalty.

I can see nox and particulate measurements becoming part of the MOT though which will spell the end for diesels

Would knowing the exact Nox influence buying attitudes? Probably not most people don't even know what nox is, most people buy on two reasons performance or economy Linked to brand loyalty....

NOX will have a direct influence on buying decision if it is linked to taxation. Which is not impossible going forward

Similarly, I doubt that many owners cared about or even knew their cars' CO2 emissions before it was linked to BIK, VED, and CC (in London).

Also, in practical terms MOT tests that your car is maintained to the manufacturer's specifications... the main hurdle for manufacturers is in passing the initial type approval for a new model.

I agree for the company car user that's why there was an exodus to diesel then they introduced the 3% surcharge to BIK on diesels due to particulate and nox emissions. Link BIK to Nox and I agree attitudes would change just like they did with CO2

For the private buyer I'm not so sure the difference between the highest and lowest VED band is not that massive and can now be spread monthly. in fact I was reading an article the other day that was saying since this has been in place people buying second hand cars were purchasing cars with higher co2 and average co2 emissions in the UK had overall increased.

Most people live outside of London so to the majority of buyers don't care about CC and I suspect it never figures in their purchasing criteria

Will be interesting to see where this goes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom