New Engine - options?

Discussion in 'Engine' started by frogman, Jul 27, 2008.

1. frogman

frogman New Member

Hello I'm new.

There's a w124 (I think!) 200d with a knackered engine lying in my mechanic mate's lot. It has a FMBSH but big miles. Some clownish prospective buyer kicked it's head over a week's use and blew the motor.

We're in France, there's a runner in the local scrap yard (still in the car) and they're asking 400E for the engine, or I can get an exchange standard for 1400 euros.

Apparently the car's very tidy and the motor is the only known issue.

Now, assuming it's not a w123 - I've not seen it yet but am pretty sure it's not - is there:

a) Anything I should look at getting done whilst the engine's out?

b) Any choice as far as the replacement engine goes - or do I need to go with the 200d?

c) What else would I have to change if I did go for, say, a 250d or 300d? I could even find a 300td over here...

Well, hope that's not all too vague and thanks for any responses.

They want 400euros for the car as it is btw.

2. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    Best stick with the same type of engine.

3. OP
    OP
    frogman

frogman New Member

Cheers Nick.

I'd prefer something a little more powerful but if it means peeing about with other stuff and ending up in an argument with my mate the mechanic, it won't be worth it.

I've just found out it's a 77 (or 76)!

Square headlight, so definitely an early w123 diesel.

I know that pre 1980 the glow plugs take ages etc.

It's gonna be slow, so it better be mint!
    :)

Not that bothered though because I do like the styling of the older models, and the village I'm in isn't ready for a Merc from as recent as the 80's. :D

4. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    If it's a W123 then engine swaps are easy, best upgrade to a 240D engine rather than the 200D.

5. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Or even a 300, 5 cylinder. Best to change the diff as well to increase the gearing if going for more power.

6. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    300s are harder work as the gearbox has to go back, that said if there's a complete donar car it's an easy conversion.

7. OP
    OP
    frogman

frogman New Member

Thanks a lot lads, this is something I can work with and discuss with the mechanic.

As it stands there is only another 200d donor car available (and even that might have been crushed by now). Not sure whether it ended up in the scrappers due to rust or what, yet. Apparently the motor is fine though.

I suppose the other issue is whether the donor car is as well preserved as this one is meant to be - I'm seeing it tomorrow. Don't want to be swapping a load of poor mechanical parts over (box, diff, etc).

It's a toughie!

I would certainly be tempted by a 300 if one were to conveniently appear.
    The top speed of the 200d is 130kmh (I read) and that's the top speed on the autoroute. I don't want to be thrashing the hell out of her on long runs just to keep up. Positive part being that I won't have to worry about speed cameras! :D

8. OP
    OP
    frogman

frogman New Member

9. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
  10. OP
    OP
    frogman

frogman New Member

Cheers, I saw that one Nick.

It's miles away from me though and it needs a trailer.
    I take it you think the 240 is a worthwile upgrade?
    I think if I found a post 1980 one I'd gain 11bhp.

I'd really like the 300td but looking around it seems it only came with the estates in Europe and always with an auto box - hens teeth!

There's a none turbo 300d box and motor up north somewhere (france) but who knows what condition it will be in? Says 210000 kms :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130242620672&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

Says it's missing only the water pump (maybe it failed?) and comes with a 4 speed manual box. The hp gain over the '76 200d = 28. (I'm only going off wiki!). Still not sure if I'd need the diff as well? :confused:

I've not found any solid evidence so far as far as changing bits out goes.
    Except that as Dieselman pointed out the 300d requires the gearbox to sit further back and I heard that that means changing the propshaft too - no big deal.

I'd have to contact the french authorities for the change - hopefully they'd be okay with a 300d conversion.

Still welcoming opinions - there aren't that many to be found on the net! :)

11. OP
    OP
    frogman

frogman New Member

Quick update for anyone else that's searching this subject!

I've been on a French forum and they reckon that the axle (front I guess??) could do with changing over too: not absolutely necessary but I probably will notice the difference.
    (3.92 - 200D / 3.46 - 300D).

Definitely the propshaft, like you guys said.

And if I change the axle I'll need to change the speedo too.
    I think a donor car would be better!

:crazy:

The other prob is with passing it with the french authorities, most people would just keep quiet but if a bad accident happened they'd surely inspect the motor and that would could end up a legal nightmare. They're a bit strict over here...

12. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    200D = underpowered slug.

240D = not quite so underpowered slug.

200D to 240D conversion is a doddle, 200D to 300D conversion is a bit more involved.

Other options include a 207/307D van engine, as they are M616 and just need a few bits swaped over from your expired 200D engine.

For speed and an easy life I'd go for a 616/240D engine, plus there's no real need to get the authorities involved as they look just like a 200D engine...

13. OP
    OP
    frogman

frogman New Member

Funny, that's exactly what the french said!

I don't care about speed per se, just safety, and 'too slow' is a minus point on that front, for me anyway.

I'm not sure whether to sack the whole idea and try and find a complete 300d, or go for the 240d engine swap option.

I think I should be able to get the 240d done for a 1000 euros or so, with a bit of luck, and if the body etc of the existing car is in really good shape it could be worth it.

The 300d's are a tad more expensive and who knows what condition it'll be in anyway?

I saw this one owner car but it's in Paris, and I think it's gone now anyway: really like the colour and it looks good from a distance (scroll down for pics). Cheap for France, too...

http://www.marche.fr/petite_annonce_auto-occasion-achat-vente-mercedes-mercedes-300d-ref644214.html

Tags: