New EQA order - can't track it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickJT

Car
EQA
Hi all,

I ordered a new EQA back in early July through MB Temple Fortune. We were told by the guy at the dealership it would be with us in late Aug / early September. He then followed up to say it was being built, and due to arrive on 27 Aug.

Since then, he's only been able to report that it's left the factory, but is in some kind of limbo between there and here. He doesn't seem to be able to find out whether it's stuck somewhere, or why. He quoted that it should have been at the port two days ago, but apparently it's not there yet.

When we ordered, I signed the MB docusign equivalent, but didn't actually save a copy and so don't have an order number. Whenever I call the dealership, I'm told only that specific guy can give us an update, and it seems he's largely clueless.

Is there any other way to track the progress more accurately - I'm happy to hassle him for an order number / some other details if there's anyone else I can share them with to get a more accurate update? So far I'm amazed that I can order an object that is a) expensive and b) literally has GPS built in, but there's no easy way for me to find out where it is.

Cheers!
Nick,

Hello Nick and welcome . My guess is Mercedes Benz know exactly where this car is and they do not want you to know , the way they are messing people around right now it would not surprise me if they have already sold it to a higher bidder.

Or something has happened to it on route - transit damage maybe and they are waiting to have it repaired. Does happen.

Possibly did you order a Premium Plus spec? The are no longer producing them due to the Chip shortage. Also one hears stories about cars being built but with features missing until the chip issue is resolved. These may not be released until the issue is resolved and they are sitting in a compound until they can be finished.

I can shed some light on this. Because of the current semiconductor supply issues, the majority of vehicles are being built, but then held at the factory for a while, most likely waiting on parts being fitted that aren’t available during production.

You dealer is not telling lies, it will say ex-factory on their system, but it’ll have left the production line but still be on site at the factory. Ex-factory normally means that it’s left, so can cause confusion, but it’ll have a hold on it.

I know this because I have around 30 cars in the same status for customers at the moment. There’s no was of us finding out more info from MBUK, they’ll just advise that there’s a hold on it and to monitor the system.

They will sit there still saying ex-factory until the hold is lifted, then they’ll arrive in zeebrugge within a couple of days then with the dealership in around a week. I had a CLA250e that was held for about 10 days, but recently had a GLA and A Class that arrived 3 months later than originally planned.

I completely appreciate it’s very annoying and you’d like more info, but honestly there’s nothing further your dealer can do at this stage and no info that they’re keeping from you. This is happening with nearly every car and I expect will continue for a long time.

I can shed some light on this. Because of the current semiconductor supply issues, the majority of vehicles are being built, but then held at the factory for a while, most likely waiting on parts being fitted that aren’t available during production.

You dealer is not telling lies, it will say ex-factory on their system, but it’ll have left the production line but still be on site at the factory. Ex-factory normally means that it’s left, so can cause confusion, but it’ll have a hold on it.

I know this because I have around 30 cars in the same status for customers at the moment. There’s no was of us finding out more info from MBUK, they’ll just advise that there’s a hold on it and to monitor the system.

They will sit there still saying ex-factory until the hold is lifted, then they’ll arrive in zeebrugge within a couple of days then with the dealership in around a week. I had a CLA250e that was held for about 10 days, but recently had a GLA and A Class that arrived 3 months later than originally planned.

I completely appreciate it’s very annoying and you’d like more info, but honestly there’s nothing further your dealer can do at this stage and no info that they’re keeping from you. This is happening with nearly every car and I expect will continue for a long time.
Good to see you on the forum again James. Hope you are well. 👍

Hello Nick and welcome . My guess is Mercedes Benz know exactly where this car is and they do not want you to know , the way they are messing people around right now it would not surprise me if they have already sold it to a higher bidder.

The uninformed blurter versus

the informed.

The uninformed blurter versus

the informed.

The two posts are not contradictory... Mercedes Benz know exactly where the car is... but the dealer doesn't.

And since the customer can only talk to the dealer but not directly to Mercedes Benz, the car ends-up in limbo as far as the customer is concerned.

Thanks all, appreciate the responses, especially JBD!

Not much to do other than sit tight, I suppose. :)

NickJT . I disagree , it's your £40K plus car that you ordered and they 'can't find' . But it is your choice to sit tight , but believe me MB know exactly where that car is. Why they are not passing on that info on to the suppling dealer is for reasons they choose not to disclose .

We all know about the chip shortage , OK why don't MB say 'sorry Nick , your car is held up because of the chip shortage . Please bear with us' ? Maybe they have found fault while being built ? OK , just say 'Sorry Nick we are not happy with the build just now so we are busy making sure it is 100% before we deliver it to you' ?
The two posts are not contradictory... Mercedes Benz know exactly where the car is... but the dealer doesn't.

And since the customer can only talk to the dealer but not directly to Mercedes Benz, the car ends-up in limbo as far as the customer is concerned.
Thank you .

Thanks all, appreciate the responses, especially JBD!

Not much to do other than sit tight, I suppose. :)
No problem. It’s a pretty awful time to be selling new cars to be honest! I hate letting customers down and having no news to give people isn’t good. I’m checking my orders daily and they’re just being released randomly and can be on hold for weeks or even months.

I think the word people are looking for is SEMANTICS "ex factory" implies completed---awaiting parts would be more honest and leads to more customer understanding which in turn helps them cope with any delay- treat your customers as adults and 9/10 times they will respond positively, treat them a kids and they will behave accordingly.
Thanks JBD for keeping us "in the loop" :thumb:

I think the word people are looking for is SEMANTICS "ex factory" implies completed---awaiting parts would be more honest and leads to more customer understanding which in turn helps them cope with any delay- treat your customers as adults and 9/10 times they will respond positively, treat them a kids and they will behave accordingly.
Thanks JBD for keeping us "in the loop" :thumb:
In normal production times, ex-factory normally means it’s on the way to the UK. I’ve seen a couple of colleagues get caught out by this recently, having told customers their cars are on their way and they’re not.

Realistically that’s down to them not looking properly or a lack of knowledge in how the factory system works.

Anyway, hopefully the OP’s car will be arriving soon!

'ex-factory' means it's out of the factory... but it does not imply in what state it is or where it us heading...........

JBD thanks so much for this info! I fear I'm in the same situation and dealer is keeping me in the dark.

Any news since this post on EQA builds, are any coming though?

JBD thanks so much for this info! I fear I'm in the same situation and dealer is keeping me in the dark.

Any news since this post on EQA builds, are any coming though?
Some are coming through, mainly lower spec cars. I have a couple of premium cars and a premium plus that have now been stuck for 3 months with no news to give the customers

I was talking to a contact at JLR and they’re running at 30-50% production at the moment due to the chip/semi-conductor shortage. They’re working four-day weeks (unpaid fifth day), and it’s likely that further redundancies will follow.

Some are coming through, mainly lower spec cars. I have a couple of premium cars and a premium plus that have now been stuck for 3 months with no news to give the customers

My EQC order is still being quoted as late January delivery. I understand from my dealer that it was placed in MB systems on 10th August. I merely get a monthly order from my lease company advising whether it's still on track or not.

In normal production times, ex-factory normally means it’s on the way to the UK. I’ve seen a couple of colleagues get caught out by this recently, having told customers their cars are on their way and they’re not.

Realistically that’s down to them not looking properly or a lack of knowledge in how the factory system works.

Anyway, hopefully the OP’s car will be arriving soon!

Sadly still waiting on the EQA :(

I heard from the dealer that it finally got issued a certificate of conformity on 27/11, and he said "It does appear to be built as ordered with no changes to specification", which is promising.

As an alternative there seem to be a handful of EQC Premium Plus models available that we're considering, though I'd much prefer the one we ordered!

We're really keen for the car and have been waiting since July. Any ideas if the issuance of the CoC means that it's likely to be on the move soon, or if it might still be stuck for some indefinite time?

Cheers!

Sadly still waiting on the EQA :(

I heard from the dealer that it finally got issued a certificate of conformity on 27/11, and he said "It does appear to be built as ordered with no changes to specification", which is promising.

As an alternative there seem to be a handful of EQC Premium Plus models available that we're considering, though I'd much prefer the one we ordered!

We're really keen for the car and have been waiting since July. Any ideas if the issuance of the CoC means that it's likely to be on the move soon, or if it might still be stuck for some indefinite time?

Cheers!
I know nothing about these things, but I would be surprised if they could issue a Certifcate of Conformity for a car that isn't built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom