New EQS to have a range of 770km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

At what cost?

Yet another nice EV to compete with the Tesla S ..... so not a solution for the masses.

Now if this was an A or C class type vehicle at A or C class prices then I might be more excited about its range and practicality.

So they have stolen a headline in the world of EV's, as Dryce ^^^ notes. Get back to us when you make one that will make a difference in the real world most of us live in . And , MB it had better make those miles or you are going to get torn a new one on every car platform out there, except the one that worship at the EV church.

I am not an EV denier, they are coming for sure , but headline grabbing things like this are just that.

It's funny how for the past 130 years, we always knew that the more expensive the car the shorter the range, but now this has been turned on its head....

We are hearing a bit more about the EQS this week. Obviously, it's out of the reach of many, just like a brand new S class is, but interesting to see the potential efficiency from some of the early drives of the car and that MB might be able to build a half decent EV on a brand new platform, and hopefully this will filter down to more affordable models in years to come.

This German language YouTube video shows the EQS achieving 22.4kWh/100km at average speed of 116km/h

Converted to units we can relate to, that's 2.7 miles/kWh at average speed of 72mph!

Sounds quite good. What do you think?

Don’t the majority of technological advances start at the top of the range, and often an S-Class - where buyers are less sensitive to price, and more sensitive to having the latest and greatest - and then they trickle down through the rest of the range as the cost reduces?

If that range is possible on an S-Class level car then it will be in superminis in year to come, just like disk brakes, ABS, ESP, airbags, satnav, etc.

Don’t the majority of technological advances start at the top of the range, and often an S-Class - where buyers are less sensitive to price, and more sensitive to having the latest and greatest - and then they trickle down through the rest of the range as the cost reduces?

If that range is possible on an S-Class level car then it will be in superminis in year to come, just like disk brakes, ABS, ESP, airbags, satnav, etc.
@Bobby Dazzler Yes they do trickle down. However, how many British owners of superminis (or even bigger cars) drive 400+ miles a day round trip (or even do that weekly)?

Apart from the really high mileage drivers whose travels take them all over, the majority of British drivers aren't doing hundreds of miles a day to get to work or for leisure. I don't understand why so many are getting hung up on "range" of EVs when many don't actually NEED a car with that much range in their daily lives. People in the UK are driving fewer miles, year after year. In 2019, the average car drove just 7,400 miles and the average car journey was just 8.4 miles long.

I think the way to ensure that EVs become an easier choice for many is to produce cheaper EVs that have smaller (and efficient) batteries, but with enough range to cope with the majority of British drivers daily commute/leisure needs and ensure that if someone switches to an EV, they also have the ability to charge their EV regularly, either at home, or at a rapid charger nearby.

P
@Bobby Dazzler Yes they do trickle down. However, how many British owners of superminis (or even bigger cars) drive 400+ miles a day round trip (or even do that weekly)?

Apart from the really high mileage drivers whose travels take them all over, the majority of British drivers aren't doing hundreds of miles a day to get to work or for leisure. I don't understand why so many are getting hung up on "range" of EVs when many don't actually NEED a car with that much range in their daily lives. People in the UK are driving fewer miles, year after year. In 2019, the average car drove just 7,400 miles and the average car journey was just 8.4 miles long.

I think the way to ensure that EVs become an easier choice for many is to produce cheaper EVs that have smaller (and efficient) batteries, but with enough range to cope with the majority of British drivers daily commute/leisure needs and ensure that if someone switches to an EV, they also have the ability to charge their EV regularly, either at home, or at a rapid charger nearby.
Preaching to the converted.

At what cost?

Yet another nice EV to compete with the Tesla S ..... so not a solution for the masses.

Now if this was an A or C class type vehicle at A or C class prices then I might be more excited about its range and practicality.
@Dryce This tech is expensive, it will take a few more years before we start seeing half decent EVs "broadly" available for the masses. MB are a business with shareholders, not a charity. Why shouldn't they choose to develop cars for their wealthiest customers first and hopefully get some profit out of it before moving into cheaper EVs later on? It makes sense as a commercial strategy, to build a luxury EV first and once you've made some profits, develop cheaper, lower margin EVs.

@Dryce This tech is expensive, it will take a few more years before we start seeing half decent EVs "broadly" available for the masses. MB are a business with shareholders, not a charity. Why shouldn't they choose to develop cars for their wealthiest customers first and hopefully get some profit out of it before moving into cheaper EVs later on? It makes sense as a commercial strategy, to build a luxury EV first and once you've made some profits, develop cheaper, lower margin EVs.

The manufacturers end up milking the bit of the market that buys out of fashion, guilt, kudos, and company car subsidy which effcetively exploits 'the masses' leaving them with overpriced unattractive poxy small cars.

This is not good.

And meanwhile the politicians railroad the public down the EV route towards those inferior models.

Something is terribly wrong with this. EVs are a failure without this political support and it's the pubvlic that are p[aying through subsidy to the better off and dictat rstricing their buying options.

Saying things will get better? Really? I've been hearing about EVs most of my (long) life and they have been just around the corner since the mid 1990s. And yet still even 2021 they need government assistance and dictat to sell in quantity.

The test of viability in the private vehicle market is whether you can build a Focus or Golf equivalent EV that sells on merit.

The real test of EVs or other technology though is whether commercially operated are viable on merit. There is little sign of that yet.

But hey ho - we have some up market nice EVs to keep those with the money and resources subsidised with nice EVs and make the manufacturers money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom