New EU regulations on speed limiting, auto braking and alcohol detection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
I was surprised by the new EU regulations which will affect all new cars from 2021 at the latest

Speed limiters, driver monitors to become mandatory in EU | Autocar

Mandatory speed limiters to stop your car from breaking speed limits

Automatic braking systems

Alcohol detectors

Is it my imagination, or has this been ignored by the British Press?

Won’t it undermine the sales of Germany’s finest manufacturing products?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s the key bullet points:

- Advanced automatic emergency braking systems
- Lane departure warning systems
- Intelligent speed assistance
- Alcohol interlock installation facilitation
- Driver drowsiness and attention warning
- Advanced driver distraction warning
- Emergency stop signal
- Reversing cameras or detectors
- Accident data recorder

Discussed in a few threads on here, beginning of the end of owning a performance car unless you have access to a race track.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Here’s the key bullet points:

- Emergency stop signal
- Accident data recorder

All of which, apart from the alcohol detection, are pretty much standard on current models. All can be ignored or disabled by the driver. The new proposal also allows the driver to disable the various aids.

...Won’t it undermine the sales of Germany’s finest manufacturing products?

I am assuming you are referring to sale of German cars in other no-EU markers?

If so, then it depends on whether the new regulations actually forbid the manufacture of cars not equipped with these safely devices.

I would think that the new regulations only affect cars sold in the EU, but European car manufacturers will still be able to continue and produce cars without the safety systems, to be sold in non-EU markets such as North America and Asia etc.

In the olden days such regulations would have impacted mainly on small independent car manufacturers who want to sell their cars in the EU (regardless of whether the manufacturer itself is based in the EU or not) but can not afford the cost involved in developing and manufacturing hi-tech driver aids. But these have all long gone.... almost every mass-manufacturer of cars these days is part of an international automotive group.

It would be interesting to see if the new regulations will also apply to low-volume manufacturers (e.g. Morgan, TVR, Jensen, and what is left of Bristol), or will they be exempt? And could they buy complete systems from someone (e.g. Delphi or Bosch etc)?

Last edited:
"Alcohol interlock installation facilitation"????

It's like bullshit bingo.

As for this driver distraction lane departure crap I happily did not spec any of this wretched endless pinging bollocks when ordering my focus and if forced to have it one day I'll do my level best to disable it.

As for this driver distraction lane departure crap I happily did not spec any of this wretched endless pinging bollocks when ordering my focus and if forced to have it one day I'll do my level best to disable it.

I had to look it up: so there'll be a standardised interface which means an employer or government can insist that the driver blows into something before driving.

So your employer, or the regulations for a specific type of vehicle can ensure that a test is taken before starting to drive.

I can think of a dozen ways that any device could be overridden by "passing other types of air" or by getting this lady passenger to blow something for you - but no doubt the regulators aren't quite that smart.

Here's the description of the EU regulation:
EU vehicle safety proposals to require standardised alcohol interlock interface | ETSC

bulc_interlock_slovenia-720x350.png

I had to look it up: so there'll be a standardised interface which means an employer or government can insist that the driver blows into something before driving.

So your employer, or the regulations for a specific type of vehicle can ensure that a test is taken before starting to drive.

I can think of a dozen ways that any device could be overridden by "passing other types of air" or by getting this lady passenger to blow something for you - but no doubt the regulators aren't quite that smart.

Here's the description of the EU regulation:
EU vehicle safety proposals to require standardised alcohol interlock interface | ETSC

bulc_interlock_slovenia-720x350.png
You hit the nail on the head, they are extremely dim and in charge!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yes and presumably it will require regular recalibration, an additional cost to the business.

There is no ****ing way i am wanting to blow into some random pipe every time i have to move a car at work, i am pretty much going to be permanently ill as with all the bugs going about! I Move easily 20 different cars on any given day! (folks personal hygiene has to be seriously questioned here) If it did hope the government is going to pay me my full days wage every time i am off due to sickness if this crap comes about!

There is no ****ing way i am wanting to blow into some random pipe every time i have to move a car at work, i am pretty much going to be permanently ill as with all the bugs going about! I Move easily 20 different cars on any given day! (folks personal hygiene has to be seriously questioned here) If it did hope the government is going to pay me my full days wage every time i am off due to sickness if this crap comes about!

Relax on the booze front. The requirement is for an "interface," it's then down to your employer, police force or government to insist that it's used. From there, the working assumption is that you'd have your own personal device for your own use. No sharing bodily fluids.

It's an extension of the barking French requirement for everyone to carry a breathalyser in the car. Which nobody ever uses - the French are probably the most drunken drivers in Western Europe - and which the French police force doesn't bother to check or fine for not carrying.

Want to see drink drivers: go to any Yellow Jacket demo in France - they've mostly had a drink or two, and they drive from meeting to meeting with....bravado...

11074354-6816815-image-a-11_1552744223339.jpg

If forced to enable this breathalyser option, I'm sure there would be some sort of "valet" option ..... :rolleyes:

Just Blow into a balloon before you go out on the p155......
[emoji1787][emoji1787]

I was surprised by the new EU regulations which will affect all new cars from 2021 at the latest

Mandatory speed limiters to stop your car from breaking speed limits

Automatic braking systems

Alcohol detectors

Is it my imagination, or has this been ignored by the British Press?

Won’t it undermine the sales of Germany’s finest manufacturing products?

Please define "NEW CAR"

I had a Ford hire car last year and it was off unless I turned it on, either way it wasn't overly intrusive.

Please define "NEW CAR"

As the article says, the EU require "all new cars sold within the EU" from 2021 to have a list of new capabilities

Here's the article I included:

The detailed regulation is but a google away, but here are the bullet points:
- Emergency stop signal
- Accident data recorder

As the article says, the EU require "all new cars sold within the EU" from 2021 to have a list of new capabilities

Here's the article I included:

The detailed regulation is but a google away, but here are the bullet points:
- Emergency stop signal
- Accident data recorder

Thanks Mike.In the past EU has defined ""new cars as "new models" I suppose they could mean "all cars manufactured from a specific date?"

We shall see.

It's an extension of the barking French requirement for everyone to carry a breathalyser in the car. Which nobody ever uses - the French are probably the most drunken drivers in Western Europe - and which the French police force doesn't bother to check or fine for not carrying.

It's because the legislation allowing fines to be imposed was never passed. The legislation still exists requiring the carrying of breathalysers but there is no fine in law for not doing so. That's why the police don't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom