New Exhausts (love em or hate em ?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Seeing as I have mentioned the CLK and A8 having new exhausts in various threads I thought I would share a few pics of them with you. All done from end to end in 304 grade polished stainless with high flow sports cats.
sidebyside.jpg

rear2.jpg

rear-1.jpg

Audirear.jpg

Love em I want one,
sports cat
straight pipe instead of middle box
sst backbox with twin tips
will have to start saving, wife wants a new kitchen :(

Methinks this will be high on the list of topics on Sunday at the GTG.

Wait until you hear it :eek: It is quiet as a mouse under normal driving but when driving spirited it's in TVR territory :D But will quieten a bit when the new head goes on and it gets more gas flowing through it.

It's a defo 'love it' from me... :thumb:

It will be interesting to hear Ian Walkers E300 24V against yours flanaia1.
I think his is a Remus, sounds the dogs anyway.
My new to me 300D 24v facelifted 124 has a nice sound too. Not in either of your leagues and wont be, ever. Currently it has it has what looks like various cheapo sections moulded together restricting every breath it tries to exhale.
The car is currently very "Work in progress" with Ian and his team recommissioning it. As he does with all my cars.
I might just come in that rather than my 12v 300D just to join in the symphony of sound.

Very nice .

I'll be getting a new system on the W126 within the next few weeks - have already arranged to photograph the job being done so will post some pics afterwards .

I'll be getting an 'as close to the original as possible' system done in stainless by PD Gough in Nottingham .

Good job, Ian! 304 is definitely the way to go.

I had a hand-made system done in 304 for my E-Type about 15 years ago. It all still looks as shiny as that after all this time.

Who made them for you?

Interesting Derek - PD Gough is within walking distance of my house!

Interesting Derek - PD Gough is within walking distance of my house!

Maybe I'll be able to pop by and say hello then ? Have you had any dealings with them ?

Just in case anyone is wondering why I'm taking my car all the way from Ayrshire to Nottingham for an exhaust -

When the exhaust on the car started 'blowing' a few weeks ago I had a look underneath and could see that most of it was pretty rotten ( most of it was also genuine MB so had probably been on there a while ) . Since I have had two years of trouble free service from the car and am confident it's a good 'un , I'm planning on keeping it so I decided it was well worth the expense of putting a new system on .

I already knew that a full MB system for a 126 is somewhere on the wrong side of a grand so I decided to get some quotes for a stainless system . I had a bad experience with a local firm , so they were not on my list , but I did a quick Google search for firms in my area and used the email/enquiry facilities on their websites for about four or five of them . I had also seen some glowing reports about PD Gough in the MBOC Gazette as well as on their forum , so looked them up and used the contact facility on their website .

All of this was done on a Sunday about six weeks ago : on the Monday morning I had a friendly phone call from John at P D Gough , who quoted me a good price , assured me they had a pattern for the system for my car and could either ship it to me or fit it if I wanted to bring the car down . I explained that I had put out a few enquiries and would wait to see what the others came back with - I'm STILL waiting to hear from all the others !

Anyway , having done overtime every weekend for the last six weeks or so , I should now be able to get it done ( this is how I fund my 'toys' as my basic wage pays the household bills ) , just need to put in a claim after this weekend and should be able to get it done in two or three weeks .

It strikes me as well worth the fuel cost to drive down and have it fitted as this avoids any hassles at this end if something didn't quite line up , or whatever . Besides , I enjoy doing long runs in the car .

Maybe I'll be able to pop by and say hello then ? Have you had any dealings with them ?

Just in case anyone is wondering why I'm taking my car all the way from Ayrshire to Nottingham for an exhaust -

When the exhaust on the car started 'blowing' a few weeks ago I had a look underneath and could see that most of it was pretty rotten ( most of it was also genuine MB so had probably been on there a while ) . Since I have had two years of trouble free service from the car and am confident it's a good 'un , I'm planning on keeping it so I decided it was well worth the expense of putting a new system on .

I already knew that a full MB system for a 126 is somewhere on the wrong side of a grand so I decided to get some quotes for a stainless system . I had a bad experience with a local firm , so they were not on my list , but I did a quick Google search for firms in my area and used the email/enquiry facilities on their websites for about four or five of them . I had also seen some glowing reports about PD Gough in the MBOC Gazette as well as on their forum , so looked them up and used the contact facility on their website .

All of this was done on a Sunday about six weeks ago : on the Monday morning I had a friendly phone call from John at P D Gough , who quoted me a good price , assured me they had a pattern for the system for my car and could either ship it to me or fit it if I wanted to bring the car down . I explained that I had put out a few enquiries and would wait to see what the others came back with - I'm STILL waiting to hear from all the others !

Anyway , having done overtime every weekend for the last six weeks or so , I should now be able to get it done ( this is how I fund my 'toys' as my basic wage pays the household bills ) , just need to put in a claim after this weekend and should be able to get it done in two or three weeks .

It strikes me as well worth the fuel cost to drive down and have it fitted as this avoids any hassles at this end if something didn't quite line up , or whatever . Besides , I enjoy doing long runs in the car .

Let me know when you are coming and if I am about I'll join you for a non alcoholic beverage and a bite to eat if you fancy it I'm on 40 mins from Nottingham.

Let us know! We could always hook up for an impromptu mini-gtg. There is a lovely pub about half a mile north of PD Gough which does great food. Beer's not bad either. Always up for a good excuse to go there!

For the record, I had my system done by SES at Huthwaite, Sutton in Ashfield, a few years before I moved into the area. At the time I lived in Shropshire so it was a fair run from there too, but certainly worth it.

Let us know! We could always hook up for an impromptu mini-gtg. There is a lovely pub about half a mile north of PD Gough which does great food. Beer's not bad either. Always up for a good excuse to go there!

For the record, I had my system done by SES at Huthwaite, Sutton in Ashfield, a few years before I moved into the area. At the time I lived in Shropshire so it was a fair run from there too, but certainly worth it.

Sounds like a good idea to me a mini GTG at a good pub :D

But will quieten a bit when the new head goes on and it gets more gas flowing through it.

You will be surprised how much difference a few months makes! When I had mine done it was bordering on unbearable in the cabin, but once it had time to coke up a bit, the noise became noticeably more subdued. That's if you can ever call an E-Type subdued!

A mate of mine with an E-Type roadster (the same one I posted about at the Woodbridge Speed Trial) followed me through one of the tunnels in the Rouen area just after I had the new system fitted, and he was convinced that his windscreen was going to shatter!

Who made them for you?

I thought twice about this post as I am sure someone will have read about this company and asscociated them with Saxo, Corsa and other chavmobiles. But they do such good work I think they deserve a mention. Fact is we must have put at least 50 of our customers cars including the likes of TVR, Porsche through them and their work is first class.

The spec of the exhausts for both cars was advised by Riegel Motorsport of Germany and both were bespoke exhausts fabricated and welded by UK Exhausts of Sheffield.

I cannot speak highly enough of these guys, I was there throughout and nothing was too much trouble for them, although I did not stand over them as they are much too professional for me to be worried. On completeion of both jobs I was asked to examine every weld to ensure I was satisfied and examine the pipe, bends, hangers listen to the tone to ensure I was fully satisfied.

If anyone is considering it I highly recommend them and you are welcome to view the work done on our 2 cars. If anyone is considering it then PM me and I'll get you some serious discount :) Just for the record or not ;) this company do all the exhausts for Prodrive and Subaru so that tells you how good they are.:thumb:

They look very nicely made, but I would personally want the boxes (as opposed to the tailpipes) finished in black.

The big shiny boxes are a bit 'in yer face', IMHO.

What was the impact on insurance, btw?

They look very nicely made, but I would personally want the boxes (as opposed to the tailpipes) finished in black.

The big shiny boxes are a bit 'in yer face', IMHO.

What was the impact on insurance, btw?

I did think about that and they could be a bit in your face, but everyone I spoke to talked me out of toning them down, and I am glad they did they have certainly grown on me.

The impact on insurance with 2 different companies AIG and Fortis (via Swinton) was a big fat £0 result :thumb:

Let me know when you are coming and if I am about I'll join you for a non alcoholic beverage and a bite to eat if you fancy it I'm on 40 mins from Nottingham.

Let me know too. If I can make it, with possibly Corned we may well have the largest unintended GTG known to the forum.

I can always offer a lift ( with free earplugs on the trip down ) to any of the guys from up here who might want to come along .........

Edit - bearing in mind I'll be leaving in the early hours of the morning to get down to Nottingham for whatever time PD Gough open , and driving back up in the evening !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom