New facelifted SL shots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
SPY PHOTOS: Latest Mercedes SL Major Facelift

Expect SL major facelift next year

Mercedes has decided to let the current SL, which is already 6 years old, live for several more years before the all new SL Class will come on the market. With a minor facelift over a year and a half ago, Mercedes feels it needs to freshen the looks one more time and hopefully keep up the good sales figures by giving the SL a major facelift next year.

While some of you poseur Mercedes fans might say, "Hey, the current generation R230 is already six years old, the next generation should be out, now!" However, the real hard core Mercedes dweebs will say, "but if you know your SL history the previous R129 generation was on the market for 12 years, and the one before that, was 16 years". That's the equivalent of living 224 human years. However, with the dwindling attention spans of consumers, we can expect the next gen to not go quite as long with an arrival in 2011.

Seen in the attached photos, test cars have been sighted in many different locations of various climates such as cold weather testing in Scandinavia to the warm dusty roads of the Mediterranean.

The biggest change will be the CLS-style headlamps together with a new bumper and grille. Camouflage over the rear lamps is hiding a new shape and new diodes that are light emitting (LED).

Another feature already in the SLK that will finally come for the facelifted SL is the AIRSCARF, which is an air vent built into the headrest and blows warm air on your neck so you don't get cold when the top is down. How posh...

Engines are likely to remain the same as in the current model, but rumors are talking about a turbocharged version of the 350 engine with 354 bhp. Top of the line model will remain as the SL65 AMG with 612 bhp.

The photos are showing various prototypes as well as a computer image suggesting the new look of the next SL.

6070521.002.mini1L.jpg

6070521.002.mini3L.jpg

6070521.002.mini2L.jpg

6070521.002.mini5L.jpg

6070521.002.mini4L.jpg

Hopefully it wont be as bad as that artists impression! - The current SL is a classic IMO

Heres my impression from a few months ago (I didnt know that they were changing the grill when I made it)

Last edited:
Thank you for those pics,,The car filling up, tanking for Swedish was I think taken in Skellefteå in the north of Sweden.
I must check on the price of new wings,headights for mine :):):) I am pleased that the one in the top pic has Distronic

Last edited:
What does everyone think? I like the back but hope the front doesnt end up like the first computer image posted....... looks like a BMW headlight/Jaguar grille combo to me :crazy:

So many times throughout history has the first example been the best, before the face lifts start. Take the E type and many others, somehow its like changing the windows in a house, and fitting windows out of keeping with the character of the house, mine will see me out I hope

im with malcolm , i prefer the current look.

Hello,

Like all new models, you look you think and at the end of the day when they are out they grow on us.

It doesn't look too different from the current model so should continue to sell well. The wheels on Pic 4 look too small though, inside the arches.

First computer image is horrible!

I not feeling that, I thought that they would go for a more SLK/ SLR type nose. That first picture looks very Cadilac like.

Need to see it in the flesh. I think that each change of design has upset some folks, but the new design usually comes out a winner.

John

The 2nd car at the filling station looks like an SLK.

gary

I want their job :(

I don't think that you would like it up there, Nov till March daylight only for 1-2 hours,

BMW now have their own test track and accommodation for the workers up there.

And believe me the days of the super looking Swedish girls went out of the window back in the 70's

Why are they suggesting a Vectra grille for it?:crazy:

I don't think that you would like it up there, Nov till March daylight only for 1-2 hours,

BMW now have their own test track and accommodation for the workers up there.

And believe me the days of the super looking Swedish girls went out of the window back in the 70's

I went skiing there a year ago and the super looking girls were amazing.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom