New Forest day out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wobbly

MB Enthusiast
Car
2018 GLC 220d AMG line Premium + 1989 500SL Now sold, replaced with 2007 Aston Martin DB9
Misses and I have tomorrow of work, so fancy a trip out in the SL as the weather is looking good.

Normally head for Bournemouth or Brighton, but fancy a look around the New Forest, anyone recommendations of places to visit for a few hours.

Lymington.

Has cracking pub looking over the Marina. Lovely little town.

There is a lovely exotic car garage in Lyndhurst (on the way to lymington) that is worth a browse too.

Beaulieu always worth a visit even if you don't go to the motor museum the villiage is very nice theres a classic car garage and one of the shops does a superb ice cream head on up the hill to Hatchet ponds then on to Lymington
Downside its school holidays so bound to be busy and watch out on the forest roads the 40mph limit is heavily policed

Hi, I know the New Forest very well, it depends on what you want, Burley is very pretty but can get busy,Minstead is a classic New Forest village and the pub the Trusty Servant is under new ownership and is now a decent place again, try to avoid Lyndhurst as it can be a real bottleneck although mid-week is usually OK. if you fancy a posh afternoon tea try Rhinefield House close to Brockenhurst or Brockenhurst itself is cute with good tea shops (The Thatched Cottage is one) and good walks just outside the village. If you fancy a little bit of sea air go from there to Keyhaven and walk down the inlets to the beach then back to the pub! Have a great day wherever you end up! You could put all of these together in a mini tour!

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks for the speed limit advice.

I looks like we are going to head to Lymington, and see what happens on the way, maybe stop at Lyndhurst and Brockenhurst.

Lymington.

Has cracking pub looking over the Marina. Lovely little town.

The Ship Inn, I think. Very agreeable place for a spot of lunch :thumb:.

Cheers,

Gaz

Would definitely recommend the ship inn. Although my food had a bit of broken off plate in it I will give them the benefit of the doubt and class it as a one off.

Sorry this is too late for Wobbly, but here's my insider tips for a relaxing day out in the New Forest...
Yes, it can get very busy on the main routes especially on Friday nights and Saturday mornings (and Sunday nights, when weekenders depart). Avoid if pos.
Lyndhurst has no by-pass and just about every car coming in from the M27 passes through, making it a nightmare of a bottleneck.
To avoid it, my tip is: DON'T leave the M27 at Cadnam. Stay on the A31 and in about two miles (just past the Esso/Little Chef), turn left into the forest, signposted Emery Down.
You can relax now and enjoy the wide-open forest - traffic will be minimal.
Stay on this road for about two miles, through Emery Down, (nice pub there) and at the end of the road turn right on to the A35 for Christchurch (opposite Swan pub). You will have by-passed Lyndhurst.
Once you're on the A35 (nice pub, the Oak at Bank within half a mile), you can take virtually any left turn to stay in beautiful forest areas - Rhinefield Ornamental Drive, Holmsley passage (terrific cream teas at the old Station tea rooms), or the B3058 for New Milton.
Any of these roads will keep you in true forest countryside - loads of car parks to walk the dogs or picnic with the kids (or both). You can walk for miles in any direction and hardly meet anyone.
From these areas, you can strike out for Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst, Lymington, or the Solent coast, wherever takes your fancy, but if you want to avoid the crowds then stay where you are.
Finally, the speed limits are to protect the wildlife. The New Forest is unusual, if not unique, in that ponies and their foals, cattle, deer, donkeys and pigs all roam free. Sadly, two or three are hit and have to be put down every week. It is not an offence to hit one with your car, but it is an offence not to report it.
Can't offer any tips for the ride home. If the weather is nice, it WILL be busy at the end of the day! Enjoy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom