New Forth bridge crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
How have the recent strong winds affected crossing of the new bridge ?
I remember watching a program on it’s construction whereby a new system was put in place to divert any winds thus making the closing of the bridge to high winds less common and I’m interested in knowing whether it’s working as it should.

When I was at college they were building the Orwell Bridge near Ipswich. We were promised a site visit several times during construction but these visits never materialised.
I distinctly remember the winning design promoted the design of the parapet walls being able to deflect wind over the top of vehicles. The walls are high enough not to be able to see over them while driving a car or small van.
But, it seems the walls no longer have the ability to deflect wind as the elf & safety brigade at the Highways Agency take every possible opportunity to close it. It was closed last weekend for Ciara and they are talking about closing it again this coming weekend for Dennis,
The traffic chaos it causes in & around Ipswich when closed is unbelievable.
I could understand prohibiting caravans & high sided vehicles but.............................

BBC iPlayer - Reporting Scotland - Evening News: 12/02/2020
Many bridges in cooler climates are affected by this phenomenon evidently. One suggested "cure" is to actually encourage the ice to adhere to the cables by covering them with mesh so that it wont fall off in large chunks but melt gradually? On the other hand it might encourage ice to adhere/form in the first place and alter the cable aerodynamics/ load. Not sure if they have thought that one through. :confused: We might be in "leaves on the line" territory here ;)
Leaves on the line - why do they cause such a problem - University of Huddersfield

ps 80,000 vehicles a day!

Last edited:
Reactions: 219
What a shame. One step forward and one step back. At least the wind barriers seem to be successful

Or 30 steps forward and one step back - according to the Scottish transport secretary.

''"There's now been something like 30 occasions when we would have had only partial or no use of the Forth Road Bridge, whereas the Queensferry Crossing is continuing to function."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom