New Fridge Freezer - Alarm/Temp Display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RodgerDodger

Car
99 - E300 TD - W210
Any refregeration engineers aboard? - or does anyone have this model?

I've just purchased one of those American style Fidge Freezer's-Samsung RSH1DBRS. Arrived 12:00 Friday and placed in position by 17:30 - then left until 11:00 Saturday before switching on.

Freezer appears to be working fine and the display reads as set, -15 deg

Fridge appears to be working and is cold - but temp display is reading +16 deg!, (also light does not come on when i open the door)

Audible alarm has been sounding since switching on all night. :( I was advised yesterday by after sales service that the alarm would go off - 'give it time to settle' says he.

Does any one have any experience of this model??

Is the seal around the door is okay? i have moved house with a fridge freezer before and the change in floor level (though it must have been small) meant i had to "gently persuade" the door to seat properly on the main part of the fridge.

Is the seal around the door is okay? i have moved house with a fridge freezer before and the change in floor level (though it must have been small) meant i had to "gently persuade" the door to seat properly on the main part of the fridge.

Yea thanks - i think the seal is ok - when i open the freezer door i can see and hear the light go on and off however this not the case with the fridge.
the allarm sounding intermittantly at present - is the same sound if you leave the door open.
makes me think that the switch to the fridge door is suspect - problem is i cant find it! - maybe the internal fridge light is operated by a sensor?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those Samsung American style fridge freezers are renound for problems. They've been on a number of consumer programs over the last few years.

You might want to consider returning it and getting another brand.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those Samsung American style fridge freezers are renound for problems. They've been on a number of consumer programs over the last few years.

You might want to consider returning it and getting another brand.

I'm afraid I've heared the same thing too...

I'd rather buy an American fridge (Admiral, Maytag, Amana etc) instead of buying an 'American Style' fridge...

Thanks guys - yea I read that too - since!:eek:

Update

After a sleepless night due to that pleasant sounding alrm - and after considering a ball pin hammer, I had a peek under the top door hinges - on the fridge side a small multiplug was not connected - must have been left like this after someone previously had the door-off for installation.
The unit was 'previously sold/ex-display' from comet you see - paid only half price;)

Anyway, switched it of for 10 mins and connected it up - No Alarm!!!:bannana:

Set freezer to -25 and fridge temp to 1 deg - 1hr has passed and freezer temp is -15 and dropping - and- fridge temp is +10 and dropping

Looks like things are coming together - yippee!!!

For info, I bought an induction hob the same day - Bosch - no probs with this - fitted and working well.

Both Items have 2 year guarantee - though not sure if i could claim the manufacturers guarantee if any thing goes wrong (both units were purchased as previously sold and returned)

will monitor things and post an update later

ttfn

Set freezer to -25 and fridge temp to 1 deg - 1hr has passed and freezer temp is -15 and dropping - and- fridge temp is +10 and dropping

Good to see that you found the fault and fixed it.

Just curious, those temps seem ultra-low for domestic use?

Well done for getting it sorted, sounds like you got a good deal on the fridge freezer!

Good to see that you found the fault and fixed it.

Just curious, those temps seem ultra-low for domestic use?

Yes 280, i would think so. To be honest i don't have clue what temperatures they should be set at :eek: for domestic use - i was setting these temps initiallay just to kick things off - now adjusted freezer for -14 deg and fridge for +2deg - all seems well - happy camper am I:) :D

Well done for getting it sorted, sounds like you got a good deal on the fridge freezer!

thanks A
was a tad stressed out yesterday but very pleased now:)

Yep - good deal on both - 750 for both units including 48 quid delivery for freezer.
Got my oven (Bosch again) a few years back - half BAR again.
Its a comet clearance warehouse in north Glasgow - some cracking bargains to be had telly's, micros, hoovers - all half price and guaranteed.

Unfortunately, I dont think they have a website - not sure but they may have others like it around the country though.

Yes 280, i would think so. To be honest i don't have clue what temperatures they should be set at :eek: for domestic use - i was setting these temps initiallay just to kick things off - now adjusted freezer for -14 deg and fridge for +2deg - all seems well - happy camper am I:) :D

Guidelines are 5-7 degrees for dairy, and 2-3 for raw meat ;)

Guidelines are 5-7 degrees for dairy, and 2-3 for raw meat ;)
Cheers David
not sure but think the fridge has dual-cool areas - will set temp at 3 deg and as a rule keep dairy at top and meat lower down.

sad but true :eek: - I am really looking forward to home cooking in bulk and batching things properly - so sick of ready-made food.

I believe normal temps are -18 for freezers and +4 for fridges.

As for your guarantees, remember that it will be the retailer you bought it from who deals with these NOT the manufacturer. They should legally honour the 2 years warranty.

Our Samsung style american Fridge frezer has been great so far for at least 4 years and a house move :)

Thing is it was only £499 when we bought it, Ice crusher / cold water on tap, huge storage so for that price its been well worth it.

Any refregeration engineers aboard? - or does anyone have this model?

I've just purchased one of those American style Fidge Freezer's-Samsung RSH1DBRS. Arrived 12:00 Friday and placed in position by 17:30 - then left until 11:00 Saturday before switching on.

Does any one have any experience of this model??

Glad youhave got it sorted. have a similar samsung f/frezer. I believe the problems with the early ones was a design error with the size of the defrost drain and a wrongly specified heater in it. Needless it has been long fixed.

had ours for 4 years, bought in a similar deal, half price for a dent , covered with a fridge magnet. In the first year the temp sensor on the condensor coils failed leading to severe frosting eventually catching the circulating fan. fixed it my self,£15 for the bits.

Glad youhave got it sorted. have a similar samsung f/frezer. I believe the problems with the early ones was a design error with the size of the defrost drain and a wrongly specified heater in it. Needless it has been long fixed.

had ours for 4 years, bought in a similar deal, half price for a dent , covered with a fridge magnet. In the first year the temp sensor on the condensor coils failed leading to severe frosting eventually catching the circulating fan. fixed it my self,£15 for the bits.

Thanks
That reminds me - will have to get my fridge magnet 'cool wall' back in place :D - cars a bit dated now though

Bought the Samsung RS21DCNS couple of years ago (ice water dispenser type) had no problems to date. The only pain is changing the water filter every six months. As now out of guarantee buy the filters off ebay at about third of the Samsung price.

Have the same model there is a know fault with these f/f contact customer services for a engineer visit under warranty
I believe this was a feature on Watchdog a bit back

Jamie

Both Items have 2 year guarantee - though not sure if i could claim the manufacturers guarantee if any thing goes wrong (both units were purchased as previously sold and returned)

If you bought it from a retailer with a 2 year guarantee then I wouldn't expect any problems.

As others have said, freezer should be -18C, the 3 star freezer rating assumes that temp.

If you have the fridge too cold then stuff lower down will tend to freeze.

Maybe Samsung with electronic controls is better controlled, but our Maytag uses chunky sliding levers to vary the temp and if you change one it affects the other so it takes a bit of messing about to get the temp balance right.

"Proper" American fridge/freezers are good but (unless things have changed dramatically?) they are way more expensive than the current crop of look-alikes. We've had ours 10years and after a lot of shopping around I paid £1800. List was £2500.

God knows how much electricity it uses - the heated doors are quite amusing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom