new front discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
£900 :eek: Anybody know how much roughly break pads and dics are for the ML320 W163

I picked up new pads for our 2003 W163 ML this evening from a local dealer. I looked online first at the usual GSF, ECP, etc, then called the dealer.

The dealer parts guy offered me 33% off list for pads which makes the cost of MB parts pretty much the same as alternatives from the low cost parts suppliers.

Pads for both front and rear axle
Four sensor wires
Four anti-squeal sachets

£129 including VAT.

To be fair, the sensors make the pads look like good value at c£50 per axle.

think i may have warped my front discs, just had a qoute from a good indie, nearly 900 with front pads:crazy:

it will be ~ £500-600 for two front discs and pads alone I would think without fitting. Mine are ~€300 each disc, and €80-100 per pad, plus a bit extra then for labour for installation.

This always comes as a suprise to people with older big cars....

Some AMG mercs and the big engined stuff are getting very cheap now, people tend to forget that new price they are very very exspensive cars and 'cheap' parts just are not available.

When I bought the 500SEL last year , a full brake overhaul was one of the first things I did : 4 discs , all pads , handbrake shoes and wear sensors came to just about less than £200 . All parts were genuine ATE items sourced from ECP , except for the handbrake shoes which I had to get from MB as ECP were out of stock .

It took me the best part of a day to do the job in my driveway , including having fun with rusted out 'captive' nuts which should have been part of one of the backing plates but were just spinning with the bolt ( had to use an air chisel to make flats on them so I could get a spanner on to hold them , then had to rummage in my shed for a couple of M12x1-1/2 fine pitch thread nuts to replace them with ; I'll eventually replace the backing plate if I ever decide to change the wheel bearings , but it can wait for now ) . I'd expect someone in a workshop with a proper hoist to do the job a lot quicker .

Whilst the W126 was an expensive car when new , it is no more costly to maintain than a W201/123/124 model ( save for 8 spark plugs or 8 litres of oil being needed at a service ) .

Obviously , getting someone to do work for you will involve some labour charges , and they have to make a living as well as paying the vatman , but £900 does seem a tad steep .

Last edited:
I recommend Delphi lockheed or Black diamond, because those are the ones i've tried and they are OEM quality or slightly better. And this is actually something you can do yourself, its dead easy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom