New funny noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meoldbangar

Car
C180 W202
My car has started to do a new noise
Like "Who who 0000h"
Could it be the belts or the power trasmission
Also when I do a slow sharp turn it sounds like my tyre is rubbing
against metal but I know its not
Just had my cat replaced and it all started after that

Any advice please

Thanks

Stone caught between the caliper and brake back plate ?

Is it easy to get out by jacking car, taking off wheel etc or do I need a mechanic

Cheers

...slow sharp turn noise... Q: left / right / both directions?

As my w202 c230k saloon passed around 150k miles, I began to notice a deterioration in the front suspension gradually over time. If your car is over this mileage there are a number of things which might contribute. Let me summarise what happened to me.

1 Driver's side front wheel bearing started to go at 175k miles.
symptoms were strange noises when turning either way but more of a rumbling nature.
2 Passenger side lower ball joint replaced at 178k miles.
symptoms were a twitching or twisting of the wheel when making slow speed sharp right hand turns.
3 tires often wear at the shoulders resulting in "skipping" in slow speed turns either way. Particularly true on wider amg alloys coupled with enthuiastic driving.
4 bushes deteriorating can result in strange creaking noises during turning.

But "rubbing" ? I'd be thinking of bearings. If there was a stone in the brakes it would make a noise whether you were turning or not. grober is more experienced than me and maybe I'm wrong but the caliper, pads and discs are all fixed relative to each other as the wheel turns.

Garages, unless they really know how to check stuff, may not quickly diagnose the cause. Ultimately, its you and how well you feel and know your car. I insisted on getting certain parts changed, even though the garage couldn't see anything wrong. But the car is much better now. I mean, I should know how it feels having sat in it for 162k miles (bought at 16k from a dealer).

My car has started to do a new noise
Like "Who who 0000h"
Could it be the belts or the power trasmission
Also when I do a slow sharp turn it sounds like my tyre is rubbing
against metal but I know its not
Just had my cat replaced and it all started after that

Any advice please

Thanks

Tyre wear possibly ..............

Check tyres and get tracking done if needed.

Is it easy to get out by jacking car, taking off wheel etc or do I need a mechanic

Cheers
Just jack the car up on hard level ground - support it well---- take the wheel off and inspect. Possibly a good idea anyway even if its not that

I appreciate it could be bearings, ball joints, etc but my thinking is that these happen over time and mileage etc
My mileage is only 93000
Here's the history of these noises
Car was fine no noises rumbling etc
Needed a new CAT so took it into the local garage (Not Merc dealer) but a local one
with a good reputation.
Picked the car up and had to do a sharp left turn to get out. The noise and rumbling was so bad you could see my bonnet going up and down
The mechanic said the tyre was rubbing on the exhaust. They re adjusted over and great no more noise or rumbling
Then it came back but my bonnet does not go up or down
I have give up with the garage as I just do not believe them now

The exhaust goes nowhere near the wheels on these cars?? It can go quite close to the propshaft. It sounds as if the exhaust was incorrectly fitted or an "incident" occurred while it was being fitted. I would get it checked out elsewhere.

Can the level of power transmission fluid make the steering do noises
Its just that If I drive slow when engine cold I get no noise. When warm I get the noises
I have noticed the power transmission fluid is at low level if not slightly below

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom