New G-Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
4 Car Link - New G-Class

Mercedes-G-Wagon-illustrati.jpg

Shame they won't be manufactured by Puch anymore :(

S.

Last edited:
It's going to be rubbish, isn't it? :(

The current g-class is so ugly it's almost beautiful, it has an agricultural charm and looks like it could drive through anything. All the external accessories (like indicators) are just riveted or bolted on like someone forgot to install them at the factory and there isn't a curve anywhere on the bodywork. Just how people like it!!

That new one looks like jelly-mould, a great big soft-looking joke of a car! The Landy defender hasn't needed to be re-invented has it? They still pump out defenders for the farmers and the military, and they do what they look like they will do, unlike most "offroaders" which only look chunky and capable but actually offer litte offroad ability! ;) IMHO, they should just keep the g-class basic and make another car to go alongside the range as an upmarket offroad-look vehicle.

Shude said:

The current g-class is so ugly it's almost beautiful, it has an agricultural charm and looks like it could drive through anything. All the external accessories (like indicators) are just riveted or bolted on like someone forgot to install them at the factory and there isn't a curve anywhere on the bodywork. Just how people like it!!

That new one looks like jelly-mould, a great big soft-looking joke of a car! The Landy defender hasn't needed to be re-invented has it? They still pump out defenders for the farmers and the military, and they do what they look like they will do, unlike most "offroaders" which only look chunky and capable but actually offer litte offroad ability! ;) IMHO, they should just keep the g-class basic and make another car to go alongside the range as an upmarket offroad-look vehicle.

Land Rover do still produce the Defender but make a lot more money out of the Range Rover. Put simply style sells at more profit.

Shude said:

That new one looks like jelly-mould, a great big soft-looking joke of a car!

It almost looks Lexus'y

I agree with Shude. What have they done!

The similarity is here IMO

Mercedes-G-Wagon-illustrati.jpg

Porsche-Cayenne.jpg

The daft thing is the new MB 4x4 line includes an X class (baby 4x4), a new M Class available in both long and short wheel base and an R Class (S class 4x4). They should leave the G-Class as it is..Rugged and good at its job.

They are probably hoping that the 'X' Class will fool some BMW drivers into buying them !! (You have to admire the marketing people :D)

S.

I'm gonna get some stick but I might buy one :p .

I like it, kinda like the Lincoln Navigator I hired, massive, ugly but somehow realy cool :cool:

Sorry Guys

Hi,

There's a 'piccie' of 'new' M and G-class in this weeks Auto Express. As they are based on same floor pan they may "resemble one another in disguise" but are certainly aimed at different markets. M- as a luxury SUV with air suspension etc. to rival X5 on road (we hope). G- to be true off-roader. G- certainly has a higher bonnet line than M-. There is "no confirmation (yet) that a rhd version will be made" (aimed at USA market primarily so don't want it to look like a 'Hummer'!).

Cayenne sales are currently Porsche's biggest seller so looks may be irrelevant (as compared with performance/build quality etc.). It sure doesn't appear to have harmed sales!

Cheers,

Last edited:
Dieter said:
Cayenne sales are currently Porsche's biggest seller so looks may be irrelevant (as compared with performance/build quality etc.). It sure doesn't appear to have harmed sales!
My Dad is a member of an independent porsche enthusiasts club, NONE of them like the Cayenne so it seems the owners are mostly new to the porsche marque. According to their porsche magazine something like half of all new porsches rolling off the production line are cayennes. Scary!!

The G-Class wont pass any Saftey tests etc come 2006, so they have no choice but to replace it.

Doesnt look like it will last 25 years though

I quite like it. Still looks like a Mercedes. Anyone got any images of the new M class? My dealer has told me to expect delivery in June if I order now but without any decent pictures and spec first, he is not getting my deposit.

Hi Alfie,

June delivery seems optimistic as the new M-class isn't going to be 'shown' till next March (Geneva motor show). There are some preliminary 'piccies' on Wolfgangs ML site:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/w164.html.

It still remains recognisable as an M- but has the looks (kind of, i.e. not the front!) of the Lexus. It's supposed to handle on road like X5 (air suspension standard?) and interior up to E-class standards. This all comes at a (higher) price! i.e. £35K min (up from current £31K) but (hopefully) this includes adaptive damping etc.

Cheers,

I must admit, I miss my old G-Wagen, really felt safe behind that front bumper, 6mm channel, like driving with a small RSJ on the front, didn't need bull bars :D :D :rock:

I like it, looks much better than the Cayenne and the X5.

The BMW X5 is in many respects a jacked up 4x4 5 series. Nothing wrong with that, but for my money the new G looks very much like a jacked up 4x4 E class estate.

Plagerism? Who said that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom