New garage. How wide for a C Class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tafia

Car
Mercedes C180 1.6 petrol auto
Folks,

I am looking to buy a new garage to keep my 2012 C 180 away from prying eyes. Given the size of modern cars the old 7ft wide doors seem too narrow of easy access.

Has anyone got a 10ft wide garage and will a C Class fit in it OK with room to open the doors?

The garage I am lookng at has an 8ft door.

Like most folk, my orignal garage is full of tools, cement mixer, barrow , mower etc with barely room to walk let alone fit a car in!!

Thanks

T

W204 C class given as 2,008 mm wide with mirrors extended 1,770mm mirrors folded 7 ft is 2133 which is do-able for entry but almost certainly difficult for car exit
8ft is 2438mm ----- 2438-1770=668/2=334 [ 13 inches ]each side for door opening .

Go for a 10' wide. Any less than this will make it awkward for getting in and out of the car.

Also bear in mind that 99% of the time pre-fab garages & sheds dimensions are usually an 'external' measurement.

Good luck

Ant

Get a tape measure, now go to your car...open both front doors...what is the distance between the outer edge of both doors?

I suspect wider than any garage you'll want to buy.

Get a tape measure, now go to your car...open both front doors...what is the distance between the outer edge of both doors?

I suspect wider than any garage you'll want to buy.

Really? :dk:

Yep...even my old bus would need 13 feet to allow all doors to open wide. A coupe would need even more.

But garages are not built to allow all doors to open wide. So, about 10 feet internally is a good size for a single garage.

Eight feet is a comfortable size door for a single garage.

Thanks to all for your help. I am now hoping to fit an 11ft wide ( internal dimensions) with an 8ft door into the space.

Neighbour has a big Merc and can just get through his 7 ft door with the mirrors folded. His garage is about 30ft wide with three doors but access is clearly a problem.

Thanks to all for your help. I am now hoping to fit an 11ft wide ( internal dimensions) with an 8ft door into the space.

Neighbour has a big Merc and can just get through his 7 ft door with the mirrors folded. His garage is about 30ft wide with three doors but access is clearly a problem.

Which big Merc does he have...even an S Class is less than 7 feet wide with the mirrors extended?

I've just measured my C class in the garage and 10ft internal width would accommodate it very comfortably with far more space to open the doors on both sides than you'll ever get in a supermarket parking space which is typically only 8 ft wide. Scary places for me supermarkets parking bays. I've no idea how you guys with the wide CLS's and such like manage not to collect dints in the doors.

You can add a foot each side for 2 door cars with long doors which are much harder to get out of in a given width.

Supermarket spaces are 8 feet wide...but unless each of the cars beside you parks on the line...you probably have 10 feet to play with.

Scary places for me supermarkets parking bays. I've no idea how you guys with the wide CLS's and such like manage not to collect dints in the doors..

That's why I got rid of my CLS - loved the car but found parking at the station etc was always a problem unless I parked in the end bay. If not, never knew whether I would be able to open the door to get in. PX'd it against a C350e - problem solved

11ft 1" Internal with a 9ft 8" door opening

That's a very poorly stocked garage. Where's the half bag of cement for gods sake???

You've let us all down there. :fail

Ant

That's a very poorly stocked garage. Where's the half bag of cement for gods sake???

You've let us all down there. :fail

Ant
old pic im afraid , it is much better stocked now :eek: .....unfortunately ! Haha
Best advice to anyone looking at building a garage, is to build as big as possible, you will soon fill it no matter what size !

Well it all depends who is driving

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom