New Garage Recommendations 3M x 6M Wood/Metal/Composite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
Thinking of building a new garage next to the house round the back to put the Imp and my tools etc. in it.

Car is currently in garage attached to the house which I'd like to use as a workshop so need it emptied.

Thinking wood will be preferred choice rather than metal due to dampness/condensation.

I'm wondering though if anyone has any recent experience of any builds or suppliers.

Will more than likely get a local company to do a raised concrete base for the structure to be bolted to.

Ensure a DPC is built into the concrete base.

I’ve built a wooden summerhouse from wood - from scratch. 4x2 frame (perfect size to then install kingspan insulation)

Frame covered in TYVEK vapour barrier.

Clad in 8”x1” feather edge.

Bought UPVC French doors and windows cheap off eBay.

Inside moisture resistant plasterboard.

Full electrics inc a wall mounted heater which only needs to be on for 15 mins before it’s toasty warm in there!

Internal floor insulated, with a floating t&g OSB floor. (I was going to cover that, but liked the look of it, so got a floor sander then 3 coats of varnish!) it looks great.

Apex roof finished in bitumen shingles.

It’s around 27’x12

I kept a spreadsheet and inc treating myself to a compressor and some nail guns it was just under £5k

All the framing was from a nearby salvage yard, building site overs, pre treated C42 at a third of the price from a timber merchant!

Similar sized & spec I’ve priced at around £25k!

Attachments

• 201AC419-36A2-49DA-8280-89D0B55C8F4A.jpeg
    201AC419-36A2-49DA-8280-89D0B55C8F4A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
I too have been thinking about doing this but in a 20x12 size to use a s a workshop and garage, how much did the concrete base cost to do?

Well it sounds like a great idea,ok you ask about foundations,the depth of these will depend on the type of soil,I suspect the least you will get away with is 750mm,you might have to match the foundations of your property,as for cost well depends on what the plans call for but at least 2 grand,the size you want means that although you do not need planning you will need to be at least 1 metre from a boundary and the overall height will be 4 metres,and the build should be block or brick and a tiled roof,as that is deemed a low fire risk .

Check your local council building rules, for me, an all timber building did not require planning permission, but brick building would have required consent etc. - some rules have changed, but a call to local council planning office is free.

ps all the kingspan insulation (walls & roof) were half price from the reclamation yard too…. And the ply for the roof

Ensure a DPC is built into the concrete base.

I’ve built a wooden summerhouse from wood - from scratch. 4x2 frame (perfect size to then install kingspan insulation)

Will do, have a few mates that are builders, may even use a company along the road that are very good. My mates are all on jobs till at least September so long time to wait for any of them.

My other mate though is keen for us to build it from a timber frame.
He has a nail gun that he loves ti use. :)
Good idea on the Kingspan.

Got a local company preparing a quote for wooden so will see what they come back with.

I too have been thinking about doing this but in a 20x12 size to use a s a workshop and garage, how much did the concrete base cost to do?

Haven't done the vase yet.
Local concrete firm charges £150 cubic metre delivered, at 250mm would need ~5 cubic metres.

SECTIONAL CONCRETE?

Thinking of building a new garage next to the house round the back to put the Imp and my tools etc. in it.

Car is currently in garage attached to the house which I'd like to use as a workshop so need it emptied.

Thinking wood will be preferred choice rather than metal due to dampness/condensation.

I'm wondering though if anyone has any recent experience of any builds or suppliers.

Will more than likely get a local company to do a raised concrete base for the structure to be bolted to.

My preferred material would be brick, however, my workshop is timber (speed of availability, looks [best of the quick fixes] and cost)
The timber one is fine, but, if you go down that route, do make sure you have a DPC installed, vapour barrier and decent insulation in walls and roof, finished with waterproof plasterboard.

Well the foundation mix is expensive in Scotland around here you are looking at £120 cubic metre at the most just watched some poured for £110,you seem to be going the route of wood,now unless the Scottish rules are different ,you will need building regs,if you build as I said block or brick with a tile roof then no building regs ,because that way is seen as a low fire risk.

You can have a metal garage up in a couple of days. The steel is galvanized so it should not rust

Last edited:
I'm seriously thinking about some form of metal one as there are lots of companies advertising these.

Just had a price for a wooden one, £3100 excluding the base cost.

Add in the base and some other stuff and I'll be looking at almost £5k for a shed to stick the little car in.

I had an oak framed garage built by Crown Oak in March 2008, and remain delighted with it.

The only think I would have done is increase the width & length of the bays each by c. 1 metre - the bays are 2.78 m wide & 3.8m would have been much better. They are 5.2 m long & 6.2 or even 6.5 would have been preferred.

NJSS

Consider air con for heating/cooling

Had a concrete sectional garage (8 × 3m) for around 15 years now and it has been great , when the temp dips below zero I switch on the oil filled rad and there has been no issues with condensation so no rusty tools or damp power tools. It has an apex tiled roof which is handy to store stuff and once I poured the base it was constructed in a day.

Opted against a block garage as it gave me an extra 4" in width 😉 by going sectional.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom