New Garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
agreed with all the above

I built a double garage [with the help of a brick layer friend] if anybody else is going to build their own forget the buying a cement mixer, you might never use it again and the floor needs laying in one go, better using ready mixed concrete. Mixing and barrowing about 5 cubic metres of concrete is pants
I layed my base in 3 different sections at 1 week intervals. About 1 foot concrete round the edges and between 4 and 6 inches in the centre. I took into consideration on where I would be likely to place axle stands / ramps / trolley jack and made it deeper at these points. I also had to dig up a pre layed section of the mono block patio to lay in the power cable (contained within conduit tubing) which p^ssed the wife off big time.

I agree with you fully on the the wheel barrow donkey work and the mixer, as I said earlier, it almost killed me physically, and I would never take this job on again.

Unfortuneately, the nearest ready mix station to me is about 75 miles away and the delivery charge exceeded my budget.

Weather forecasts also had to be studied with military precision in order for me to plan my weekends in order to take the decision to either mix concrete, wheel barrow or........... go to the pub instead !!

Most difficult part was the wife nagging about the mess caused, grit and sh%t being walked into the kitchen, by me and the dog !!

Last edited:
Don't knock B+Q for prices

18mm MDF 8'x4'

Travis Perkins £26
Jewsons £24
MKM £23
MGM £22.50

B+Q £14.98 per sheet

5 free cuts per sheet
Free Delivery

And i'm in the trade with trade prices
F**king rip off
And with the B+Q trade card you get 5% cheque back each month

Timber and Kitchens B+Q
Electrical City Elecrtical Factors
Plumbing Plumb Center

A quick phone call can save you ££££££
And in this current climate you need to be as compedative as possible

jamie

Unfortuneately, the nearest ready mix station to me is about 75 miles away and the delivery charge exceeded my budget.

75 miles ! I never considered that, around here I could walk to about 5 ready mix concrete sites . Well a least its done and it sounds like you did a proper job. Well done hope the backs better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom