New girl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LoopyLou

Car
CLK230K
Hi everyone

I'm new here so finding my way. Please be gentle!

I've had my 1999 CLK230K for nearly 5 years and love it. But it's getting very rusty and it's time for a change. But I don't know what. I've grown very fond of Mercedes because my car has been completely reliable from new (my dad had it before me)

Should i start another thread to talk about this?

welcome loopy lou,i have the newer shape clk and alls good and no rust.

Thanks Chubbs. I had been wondering about one of those but then ruled it out.

A few months ago I was lucky enough to land a top job that already pays well, my first real job. I left uni with a gorgeous little hanger on (hence my username - those Trinity students can be so cruel) so wanted to spend time with her. But now that I have a good income of my own (and a very understanding mother/free childminder) I want to treat myself to a new car.

I love all the gadgets, but don't want something that makes me look even more of a dumb blonde than I do already. And I certainly don't want to look like a WAG.

Hello and welcome! Congrats on the job, not many people get a top job straight out of uni! I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni so went straight into work and 5 years later, don't regret my choice! Free childminding is the best!

Are you looking at a new or used car?

Tom

Thanks Tom. I thought I knew the area I wanted to work in (Mathematics related because of my degree), but finished up with something very different in film production. It sometimes takes me away from my daughter for a few days, but mostly based in our studios just 30 miles from home.

As I said, I'm looking for a new car. I like the idea of an AMG but fear it may be too raucous for the little one.

Thanks Wayne. It's one I'm thinking about. The C43 looks nice. Any opinions?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum:thumb:

If you are thinking of going down the new car route, get some insurance quotes on the AMG range before pulling the trigger.

I would be inclined to look at a petrol C class with the AMG extras like bodykit/mats/wheels to keep the costs down on a full fat AMG.

Welcome aboard. My cars are old school I'm afraid.

Good Luck with the search.

Personally, I would try the AMG.

You don't have to drive them like a nutter and I found my previous E55K very comfortable indeed.

Then if you don't like it - try some other stuff like AMGeed suggested such as AMG line cars.

Hey thanks for all the lovely welcomes. What a nice friendly place this is.

I must admit that I hadn't considered the insurance costs on AMGs before. Presumably they're much higher than non-AMGs. Chatting to a couple of my colleagues earlier they said that all those in our industry get stung with higher insurance anyway, so being under 25 means I'd be hit very hard on something like an AMG. I want to spend my money on something I can enjoy, not give half of it away to insurance companies!

Do the AMG line cars get fitted out with all the same body kit and bits as the full AMGs? Someone was talking about a C43 on another thread and it looks fabulous. The thing is that I like the idea of the 4WD because even my normal journey to work is along lots of small roads that tend to be slow getting gritted, and sometimes we may be filming in fields - although nothing too off road. But then I suppose 4WD isn't essential.

I'm 23 and have just insured my C63 for another year and it cost £669.80 fully comp. Obviously location plays a big factor, but the AMG insurance may not be as bad as you think depending on where you live, NCB etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With things like insurance, you need to input your details and see what it comes out as.

No point in trying to second-guess as the insurance industry is utterly random! :crazy:

I'd use a comparison site and then you can easily change the car to other alternatives to get an idea of what you will be paying for what.

I once got a quote for a particular car for a laugh when I was 24 thinking it would be astronomical. It wasn't cheap (£1600 back in 2000) but that was peanuts for the car I was insuring and so I changed cars!

As for 4WD, this is a personal choice. It wouldn't bother me to have it but I wouldn't make the effort to find a car with it.

I prefer RWD as I find it more fun to drive but this depends on what you want to get out of a car really.

If you are concerned about getting stuck in tricky situations, especially with your little one, maybe 4WD would be a better bet...

In 24 years, I've certainly never had any situation, which includes driving on a deserted beach, muddy fields, country lanes, fords, flooded roads - where 4WD would have made any difference to me.

If you want to put the little one in her seat in the back a 4 door might be a more practical proposition? After the ride quality of a 1999 car be prepared for a shock, if you go to anything with large diameter wheels /low profile tyres + harder suspension favoured by the AMG models. Survey the field then test drive test drive test drive!

With all the fuss about the C43's problems at the moment I'd steer well clear, maybe a different model or a C63 from the shape previous. Something with some real grunt

You only live once :)

Welcome a broad. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom