New glow plug? S211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Hi guys,
The glow plug light comes back on shortly after starting up. This is on my E320 CDi from year 04 (straight 6 engine).

STAR gave me this:

Glow plug Cylinder 2 Check lines between Cylinder 2 and N14/2 (Glow output stage)

Is this simply a case of changing glow plug 2?
Or should I change all of them?

Or does this error actually mean something else?

(This only started yesterday and not noticed any change in performance so far.)

Thanks for any help.

shr.

The relay doesn't really fail on the straight 6, stands a chance it's just the plug, if you going to do it yourself make sure the engine is stinking hot first, you will also need the fault erasing out of the system,or else the light will show.

With 1 failed plug you will notice nothing bar the light.

Yep, I'm hoping to do this myself.

The fault is only stored not current, as after few cycles of the ignition key it goes out and stays out. So I suspect the plug is failing, rather than actually failed?

I only intend to keep the car for another three months so should I just replace this one, or is it always advisable to do all of them together? (presumably 6?)

Picking one up from stealer tomorrow.
Will let you know how it goes.

Replace them all while your on. Why not ?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Two reasons why not:

1) I'm worried about the removal of the plugs. I hear they are easy to snap so changing 1 instead of 6 are better odds.

2) Will cost close to 100 pounds if doing all of them.

Also, I'm planning to sell the car in a few months time. I know that's not the right attitude, but it's a ten year old car with SBC. The pump's more likely to fail before the next heater plug!! :devil:

Ahh point taken if your selling.

As stated before. Make sure the engine is hot for better removal chances

Ahh point taken if your selling.

As stated before. Make sure the engine is hot for better removal chances

Yep will do.
I'll be fitting (or attempting to) a genuine plug from the stealer as car still has full MB history and therefore Mobilo cover.
So I think it best to stick with genuine parts in order to maintain Mobilo.

That type of part will not be to bad from MB.

For regular service parts they are quite competitive.

Yes, keep the receipt for records. But on the other had if your selling it, why not go for a cheaper plug.

Anyways if you do go down that road, stick with NKG or beru. (Forgive my spelling if incorrect )

That type of part will not be to bad from MB.

For regular service parts they are quite competitive.

Yes, keep the receipt for records. But on the other had if your selling it, why not go for a cheaper plug.

Anyways if you do go down that road, stick with NKG or beru. (Forgive my spelling if incorrect )

Eurocar parts stock BERU and NKG. When you factor in their 30% discount, they are about half the price of stealer.
Hmmm, suppose I should consider getting one from Euros instead.

That's were I got all 5 of mine last month.

You got the discount I hope?

They seem to have a constant discount on nowadays. Usually 30%

How do you remove electrical connector from the existing plug?
Does it just pull off?

Ok thanks.
Will try and get on to this tomorrow.
Do you spray loads of wd40 around the nut before undoing? Or just simply makes sure the engine is up to running temp and that's all?

Ok did this tonight instead of watching Eastenders!

All went well. Only hope I've done the right one.
I was aiming to replace cylinder 2.
Couldn't see any markings so assumed it would be either 2nd from front or 2nd from back.
Popped the supply lead off the one that was 2nd from front (simply cos easier to access) hoping to find some indication that this is either 2 or 5.
Noticed a tag on this supply lead with 2 on it so I assumed (there I go again) this to be cylinder 2.

You're now going to tell me cylinder 2 is at the back of the engine, aren't you?

No your right :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom