New google chromecast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use my one everyday great little device.

This new version allows you to stream to anything with a headphone jack - cheap way to update my old Surround sound amp :D

I have the old one but hardly use it, cant get it to stream properly with anything apart from android!

new one looks better - I wonder if it still needs a power jack or can take it from the HDMI port.

Mine is powered from my TVs spare USB socket...

So is mine but it can't be powered from the one USB connection. So, if one doesn't have a spare you'll need the mains adaptor.

The one I have on the main telly gets power from the Sky box, the FireTV stick from the Xbox. You may be surprised how many unused USBs you can find on other devices nowadays, blu ray players, amps etc often have them.

I was hoping that the latest Apple TV was going to be a HDMI (USB powered) device this time as I wanted to use it on a TV that I have hung on a wall but only have one power feed to it.

pretty sure that the HDMI standard doesn't include powering the device it's connected to...
But anyway,

there doesn't seem to be a big jump in specification between the new chromecast and the original one?

The 5Ghz wifi is the big change which for some could mean the difference between 720 and 1080 for some users.

i got chromecasts on all rooms in the house... works well

Thanks KH, that's cleared that up. So convince me I need one. Can I use my iPad to watch iPlayer stuff or even films on the TV and by doing so does it eat into my monthly BB allowance?

You can tell I'm a real geek eh? :fail :D

If you have netflix you can cast your films to the chromecast on a non smart tv.

Thanks Ted but I'm not a Netflix person...I don't think. I mainly want to watch stuff I've missed on iPlayer and the iPad is too small for joint viewing. I really don't understand how it works. Does the thing receive stuff from the iPad which, in turn, gets it from the house Wi-Fi?

I'm thinking I could use an Apple lightning to scart lead to do this but then the iPad would need to be near the telly which isn't handy.

:dk::dk::dk::confused:

Via your home Wifi, the Chromecast will receive the instruction to play something from your iPad, and then the Chromecast will download/stream the content itself via your Wifi (without passing through your iPad). You can then do other things with your iPad, including use it a remote control for whatever is playing through your Chromecast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom