New Guy needs help on 1965 220S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smiffie

Car
V8 supercharged Soarer
Hi I hope I am in the right place..........

I have often thought about buying an old merc with the view of restoring it as a toy.

I have found a 1965 220S in Maroon, it needs a bit of TLC but I can see the light.

I will post a picture when I get one, I am going again tomorrow to have another look at it.

The drivers front wing is very rusty, and it needs a drivers window, my first of many questions would be, are these parts available ?

He is asking £1000 for it, I am happy to give this amount, would you say this was about right ?

thanks in anticipation

Smiffie.

hmmmmm - dpends a LOT on condition - if the wing has been allowed to rust that badly - hows the chassis?

the 4 doors arnt worth that much..

the non injection ones (denoted by S not SE) are worth less again..

parts availibilty is good - there a good tips page somewhere called iirc www.heckenflosse.co.nl (so a google?) - its in english..

windscreen availible from merc at about 500 quid part number 110 671 05 10 as far as i can tell..

front fender 111 880 02 18 is going to be about a grand... no joke... but after market ones exist and i might well have your car number / prices very wrong...

Thank you Guy dude.

I had no idea the parts would be that much, I was thinking along the lines that as it was old, the parts would be cheap.

I am not concerned that the thing isnt worth a lot, I just fancied an old merc, If I wanted comfort and speed I would drive my own car, but this isnt for that, it's for sunday mornings and a trip to the pub :D

As I said I am going today to have another look, I will try to get under it to check out the chassis, and hopefully take some pictures.

thanks again

Smiffie

Smiffie said:
I had no idea the parts would be that much, I was thinking along the lines that as it was old, the parts would be cheap.
The trouble with mercs is, they're only "old" for a few short years and then they become "classic". At that point the prices for everything go up exponentially.

I didnt get over there today :(

hopefully tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom