New hood or repair? After someone has kindly stubbed out their cigarette on it! GGrrr

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by IMD, Aug 28, 2011.

1. IMD

IMD Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 SL500
    Well.....go out to wash my SL500, finish it...have a look around and notice a small melted cigarette sized mark on the roof....rubb my finger over it and it breaks up leaving a very small, new built in shower system.

I would like to swear rather loudly right now, as the car was also scratched on the bumper by some idiot with no parking skills. Thats 2 bits of damage in the 3 weeks I've owned it.

Now...I need to put the hardtop on, as I can see light from the inside.

My question is, do I need a new hood or can it be repaired, or will that look a mess?

I do need new plastic windows anyway and that was going to cost me a few hundred, so do I go the hole hog anyway.

I'm based in Brighton..any suggestions?

Thats the end of my open top motoring for a while due to some drunken / jealous idiot.

I think I will clear out my garage and put the car away....I can't afford a new hood every month.

Ian aka a very angry man!

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Get a quote for new windows + the repair. A reputable hood trimmer will advise you on how successful / cosmetic a repair might be and give you a comparison costing for a replacement hood. I'm sure this type of damage/vandalism is fairly commonplace so I'll wager relatively " invisible" repair techniques are available. The clincher is the existing state of the present hood.

3. LocheeLad

LocheeLad Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 230 Kompressor Coupe
    Why don't these low life s*** try making their own way in life, instead of envying others who are making the most of their lot and getting on with it! :wallbash:

4. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    Try Polyfacto in Hailsham. Take the car to them, they know their stuff on hoods etc.

5. OP
    OP
    IMD

IMD Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 SL500
    Well...as a makeshift repair, I've put a rubber bicycle repair patch on the inside, stuck on with some exterior black silicon and blobbed a bit in the hole.

It may or may not last, but I just dont want to put the hard top on!

Beter save some pennies and think about a new hood for the future, as I need the new windows anyway, as they have split and I can't see much out of them!

Right..better have a few beers tonight to get over the pain!

Ian

6. stevieb15

stevieb15 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    98 sl 500, 90 w126 500se, 03 CLK 320 Convertible, 90 W124 CE300
    equally d-class in chobham, who I used to replace the perspex in mine